U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 AM

3,947 posts, read 3,268,218 times

Advertisements

The article leads off with a few observations which point out the vagueness of its assertions. Let's face it, we don't really need our days in retirement to be validated by studies which lead us to poorly defined conclusions. The entire notion of retirement as a thing of common experience is simply unfounded. Our lives while working were filled with challenges, and the thought of work challenges as being good thing has become a societal norm, but those "challenges" were often the stuff of stressful friction and terrible dread. There are many other types of challenges that are capable of expanding our lives in a positive way.

What we do know about living a life conducive to good health centers on the reduction of stress coupled with a healthy eating regimen, and getting enough down time to just relax. I knew plenty of people at my workplace who were already socially isolated, but that was a result of many factors, mostly their own personal wiring. Work, or don't work, but at day's end we all will need to do what is necessary to live a happy and content life. It's a choice, but it's a highly personal one and shouldn't be influenced by news articles posturing as proof of something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 AM

4,856 posts, read 4,969,586 times
Use some of your "Sociable Security" to frequently meet with friends, to laugh, to tell stories, to tip a few brews.

Sitting alone in your chair watching TV all day is now way to live. you'll likely die.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
I know my job (shift work, high stress) has likely negatively affected my social/emotional life. I seem to largely only know people who work the same shift or used to work with me. I don't feel like doing things in the evening if I have to go to work. I remember once going to a comedy club and it felt like getting up in the morning, having coffee and then going to a nightclub before noon, all the wrong rev.

My job is going to a new major electronic medical record system. A few old-timers (computer-phobics) have already put in for retirement. I know one fears if she doesn't work she'll die, but in her 80s with her mental abilities very limited, it's long past time for her to retire. The job has been carrying her for some time which I think is a disservice to the co-workers and the patients alike.

Me, I want the electronic system. Enough of paper shuffling and scribbles everywhere. Too bad I'm retiring six months after we go live!

Old 03-05-2017, 10:43 AM

14,424 posts, read 7,939,946 times
Hmmm a high stress very physical job that had left me doing battle with a super bug for over ten years vs having fun, no stress, being active riding my bike, roller skating, skiing, ice skating. Yeah. No brainer. Go back to work? NOT!

Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,288,917 times
Working full time was bad for my health. There was less time for exercise or for socializing. I felt very isolated in the offices I worked in, because co-workers were less than half my age.

I am much healthier now, because I have time for socializing with people who are near my age and who I have things in common with. I used to always be sleep-deprived, but not now.

I do not understand people who retire and stay home alone doing nothing, or watching TV. They have no imagination.

When you don't need to work you are FREE, your real life can begin.

I think these articles telling us to work longer are sponsored by the government, because it wants to pay less Social Security.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:07 AM

13,893 posts, read 25,347,447 times
Baloney! I refuse to drink that Kool-aid. I always say articles like this are propaganda trying to make us want to work till we die! Nope, you can't sell me that one.

And for every story they can quote about John who retired and dropped dead 3 weeks later, I can show you 10 people who retired early and are still loving it. John just should have retired earlier!

Old 03-05-2017, 11:32 AM

10,138 posts, read 12,400,312 times
I have come to the conclusion there isn't any magical retirement date but that retirement comes when you are able and ready to retire.

50, 60, 70 and 80 are all good retirement ages.

I'm approaching 69 and still working not because I have to but because I want to. It's just me and the way I am.

I engineer fire sprinkler systems. Having been at it since the 1970's it is something I have become very good at and it really isn't a job but a game I play solving puzzles with a bonus of earning pretty decent money doing it. While I may be an employee I don't have any bosses telling me what to do and my hours are pretty much what I want them to be. By state law I hold the license for the company with the end product being I am solely responsible for any project that has my signature so people tend to leave me alone.

With 80% of my work on a computer I can work from anywhere and oftentimes I do. Sometimes I am in the office, other times at home and as long as I get the project done on a timely basis the hours I work are pretty much up to me.

Sometimes I get called out on projects and it's fun traveling to another area spending a few days and seeing new things. Wife goes along for the adventure (you can usually find her out by the pool relaxing in the sun) while I go look at something that I consider neat. You wouldn't like it, my wife certainly wouldn't like it but for me it's a fun thing to do and it is exercise as well. Exercise.... try spending a few days surveying a four story building of 200,000 sq ft without working elevators. In a building that size there isn't one square foot I haven't seen.

Financially I could retire right now but I don't want to.... yet. Maybe someday but not today because I just don't want to.

Maybe next week and that is what I like most about the position I find myself in right now. It is my destiny and I control it. I can make choices without having to analyze financial considerations because financially I'm at the point where I can do anything I want to. Work, quit or take a six month vacation is all up to me and what I want to do not what I need to do.

So I am still working but life is good.

Last edited by nicet4; 03-05-2017 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-05-2017, 11:36 AM

13,893 posts, read 25,347,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I have come to the conclusion there isn't any magical retirement date but that retirement comes when you are able and ready to retire.

I'm approaching 69 and still working not because I have to but because I want to. It's just me and the way I am.

I engineer fire sprinkler systems. Having been at it since the 1970's it is something I have become very good at and it really isn't a job but a game I play solving puzzles with a bonus of earning pretty decent money doing it. While I may be an employee I don't have any bosses telling me what to do and my hours are pretty much what I want them to be. By state law I hold the license for the company with the end product being I am solely responsible for any project that has my signature so people tend to leave me alone.

With 80% of my work on a computer I can work from anywhere and oftentimes I do. Sometimes I am in the office, other times at home and as long as I get the project done on a timely basis the hours I work are pretty much up to me.

Sometimes I get called out on projects and it's fund traveling to another area spending a few days and seeing new things. Wife goes along for the adventure (you can usually find her out by the pool relaxing in the sun) while I go look at something that I consider neat. You wouldn't like it, my wife certainly wouldn't like it but for me it's a fun thing to do and it is exercise as well. Exercise.... try spending a few days surveying a four story building of 200,000 sq ft without working elevators. In a building that size there isn't one square foot I haven't seen.

Financially I could retire right now but I don't want to.... yet. Maybe someday but not today because I just don't want to.

Maybe next week and that is what I like most about the position I find myself in right now. It is my destiny and I control it. I can make choices without having to analyze financial considerations because financially I'm at the point where I can do anything I want to. Work, quit or take a six month vacation is all up to me and what I want to do not what I need to do.

If more of us had jobs they really enjoyed, more of us would probably work longer! Good for you!

Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,303,645 times
I would not normally comment on these kind of articles, but, what needs to be understood is that professional writers need to generate so many thousands of words a day to keep their jobs. Subject matter is sometimes assigned by the editor and other time selected by the writer.

Todays subject is it healthier to continue working? A good writer can generate an article on almost any subject day in and day out all year. So today it's this one. Tomorrow it could be would people live longer if the retire early.

I just ignore these as busy work for the paper.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:14 PM

12,046 posts, read 5,151,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Sometimes I get called out on projects and it's fun traveling to another area spending a few days and seeing new things. Wife goes along for the adventure (you can usually find her out by the pool relaxing in the sun) while I go look at something that I consider neat. You wouldn't like it, my wife certainly wouldn't like it but for me it's a fun thing to do and it is exercise as well. Exercise.... try spending a few days surveying a four story building of 200,000 sq ft without working elevators. In a building that size there isn't one square foot I haven't seen.

If I had a job similar to yours I would probably continue to work until I was at least full retirement age. As it is though, my job is quite physical. I walk almost 10 miles a day on hard concrete and lift items up to 50 pounds off and on during the day.
I'm 58 years old and feel my body beginning to give out. My goal is to make it to 62 and retire. Hopefully I'll make it. The least of my worries is that I'm not going to be able to go on cruises, buy new cars and have a winter home in the Caribbean. I just want to stop working and relax, enjoy whatever little things I can afford. 4 years can't come soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or