U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 PM

2,167 posts, read 1,266,787 times

Advertisements

I thought the article was going to be about the benefits of cooking with a wok.

But I'm lucky (so far) to be in the camp that has the luxury to wait until I know when I should stop working, until told otherwise. Or meet a financial goal sooner than expected. Or die. Somedays I Wish they would make an offer I couldn't refuse. But unless something untoward happens, I'm out at 62, (actually anytime after 60, since I will have very affordable health benefits from then on). I've been told by many that I work with (that could easily have retired 5-10 years earlier) that once you know you can comfortably retire at anytime, there is less anxiety about when you do retire.

I'm REALLY finding that hard to believe. For me.

That's right up there with "the next 3 years will be gone before you know it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 04:54 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
If I had a job similar to yours I would probably continue to work until I was at least full retirement age. As it is though, my job is quite physical. I walk almost 10 miles a day on hard concrete and lift items up to 50 pounds off and on during the day.
I'm 58 years old and feel my body beginning to give out. My goal is to make it to 62 and retire. Hopefully I'll make it. The least of my worries is that I'm not going to be able to go on cruises, buy new cars and have a winter home in the Caribbean. I just want to stop working and relax, enjoy whatever little things I can afford. 4 years can't come soon enough.
I have great sympathy and empathy for physical laborers and those who have physical labor as part of their job. Many people doing such jobs wear out by age 55 or a little older, from what I read and observe.

So yesterday when I heard a Republican congressman talking about hoping to raise the age for Social Security during this current administration, I balked.

I think a good number of physical laborers (and teachers) are able to retire at 55, though, being covered by a pension or the equivalent, and not being dependent on Social Security, yes?

My body was giving out and was too stressed at 62, and I did no physical labor, although the place I worked was so large it encompassed large expanses of walking.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-05-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 03-05-2017, 06:07 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,387,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I have great sympathy and empathy for physical laborers and those who have physical labor as part of their job. Many people doing such jobs wear out by age 55 or a little older, from what I read and observe.

So yesterday when I heard a Republican congressman talking about hoping to raise the age for Social Security during this current administration, I balked.

I think a good number of physical laborers (and teachers) are able to retire at 55, though, being covered by a pension or the equivalent, and not being dependent on Social Security, yes?

My body was giving out and was too stressed at 62, and I did no physical labor, although the place I worked was so large it encompassed large expanses of walking.
We have pipe fitters that do the physical installation. I well recognize a good number of them will have to retire before FRA and I would like to see something done about that.

Having someone 65 climb a ladder with a 2" piece of pipe 12' long and two 24" wrenches simply is not a safe thing to do for the majority of guys this age. I know I couldn't do it and be safe.

For me to do on Monday morning what I expect Freddie to do is beyond my comprehension. Awake at 4:00 out the door at 4:45 so I can be on the job site at 7:00 and work 10 hours (out of town most of my guys work four ten hour days getting Friday off) at a physical job without air conditioning (think summer in Georgia) and it would probably kill me. Not kidding about that either; kill me!

We need a voluntary SS extension that would allow the employee to retire earlier with more money but only if they elect to put money aside. Starting at age 30 if John contributes an additional 4% for 30 years he could retire on reduced benefits at 60 instead of 62 and full benefits at 64 instead of 67 or 68. I am not sure what the actual numbers would be but you get the idea.

So in case anyone is wondering I know how fortunate I am that I have the sort of job where I can elect to work longer delaying benefits to age 70 for a big fat increase over what I would have had at FRA.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 AM

568 posts, read 249,189 times
It's all about finding the right "fit" in retirement. For some like me, working part-time has been the best fit. For others, a life of full retirement is the answer. All about what results in your comfort, and not lead to mental conflict. I can't see a life for myself without my work and career. It gives me comfort and a sense of well-being. Everyone is different!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:12 AM

28,501 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
We have pipe fitters that do the physical installation.
I well recognize a good number of them will have to retire before FRA...
and I would like to see something done about that.
The something used to be Union (or scale) wage rates...
and union backed or solid company pensions after XX years in...
and union backed or solid company paid health insurance after XX years in...

It worked too. What happened to those?

Quote:
We need a voluntary SS extension that would allow the employee to retire earlier...
That could help in a lot of ways. Not least being to clear space for new hires/advancements.

Quote:
...with more money but only if they elect to put money aside.
That of course is the sticking point.

But making IRA plans and such being the DEFAULT rather than elective ...
has been proven to work well wrt individual contribution levels.

Either way though the income level needs to be above living costs by X% to make them work.
And in todays world... that seems to be harder and harder to find.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:25 AM

12,705 posts, read 9,975,776 times
Don't conflate correlation with causation. Did they get sick because they quit working, or did they quit working because they got sick?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Don't conflate correlation with causation. Did they get sick because they quit working, or did they quit working because they got sick?
Exactly.

The people who are working longer are a lot of times in better shape anyway.

If someone is working at 70, chances are that person is pretty healthy as is. Did working longer cause them to be in better health? Probably not.

I've known several retirees, including my grandfather, who basically got even more sedentary and did less after they retired, then they started having problems. I don't think being sedentary and idle is conducive to good health in old age, but they're truly separate issues.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM

15,244 posts, read 8,532,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Raising the retirement age - what a simplistic "solution". I truly wonder about the intelligence of our elected officials who seem to only use their own personal experience (or maybe personal acquaintance likely to be very similar to them) in making decisions on retirement and healthcare issues.

Even an hour or two on message boards like this could open their minds so much - and even this board is pretty constrained in terms of who is active on it and excludes many groups of people! Don't they ever look at research or surveys or have focus groups or ANYTHING to better understand people's real life situations? Maybe I'm just naive and they're doing exactly what they want to for their own and their benefactor's benefit.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,284,994 times
The government would love to keep raising the retirement age, and I'm sure they will. There is so much propaganda on this subject, such as -- we are living longer and healthier lives and therefore we can and should work longer.

That is just BS. A large percentage of Americans are sick, and everything gets worse with age.

And even if it were true, that we are healthier (it isn't!), they completely ignore the reality of age discrimination.

Being an employee and having a boss can be hard at any age, but I think it gets harder when you're older. If you stay in a field, but do not become a manager, the age discrimination can get pretty horrid.

I started thinking about retirement in my 50s, because of the way I was being treated. I love the work I have done for over 20 years, and naturally I keep getting better at it. But there is always at least one manager or influential co-worker who decides I am an idiot just because of my age.

The age increases for SS won't affect me, thank God, but I am angry about it anyway.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:30 AM

238 posts, read 154,100 times
If I were still working I wouldn't have had the time to go to South America, a couple cruises, fix up my home for selling, build a new home, take three trips to Florida, train trip to Canada, learn to play pickle ball, grow a garden, bicycle with friends during the mornings, helping to pack Thanksgiving and Christmas care packages, and so much more!

For those who feel well and who have an interest in going places and doing new things, retirement is like a dream come true. Just this morning I said to my husband, "Today is a school day....and we didn't have to get up in the dark and cold at 5:15 and get ready for the rat race". We both agreed.

I've read that some people define themselves by their life long work. For those individuals, who only have that sort of tunnel vision of themselves, then I can see they need to keep doing the same old, same old. But for those of us who see life as a banquet table filled with a variety of things to do and see, then retirement is just the beginning of a great new chapter of life. If one were to plant themselves on the couch, day in and day out with the curtains drawn, and not interacting with other people I can see retirement as a slow death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or