U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,389,547 times

Advertisements

You're all very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 03:24 PM

786 posts, read 893,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Guayaquil Ecuador or its nearest neighborhood resort town Salinas Ecuador
OP, specified EAST COAST! If he said west coast Miraflores, where I live ticks all his boxes.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM

1,187 posts, read 663,894 times
Try Wilmington, NC. Not a huge city but lots to offer and growing very quickly. The problem is the prices are growing right along with it. Active local theater, large UNC campus for activities, gorgeous historical district, kayaking on the inland waterway, etc. There are condos available but homes near the water are expensive.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:42 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
OP, specified EAST COAST! If he said west coast Miraflores, where I live ticks all his boxes.
you don't have to yell at me. I just gave him another option. Let him dismiss the suggestion.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:28 PM

118 posts, read 140,722 times
Just curious if you have spent any time on the gulf coast of Florida to rule it out? I know it is not pounding surf, but you get almost everything else on your list. You will need to compromise on something at some point.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:47 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Southern Delaware.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:54 PM

238 posts, read 154,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My problem seems to be that I want the best of both worlds... The ocean in my front yard and a big city in my backyard. My "dream home" is either a condo with a full ocean view or a beach cottage set a few blocks back (within biking distance), but I also need big-city amenities to be happily retired. Such things as a gym, library, university, symphony, ballet, art movies, museums, historic area, medical center, Meetup groups, a dance community, churches, public transportation, etc. no more than a half-hour's commute away. Add to that hiking trails, bike paths, and kayak venues, and you can see why I'm having such difficulty finding the right place. Finally, to further complicate things, to me the ocean means pounding surf. The sleepy gulf might as well be a swimming pool or inland lake.

Help!
Southern Delaware: Rehoboth or Lewis Right on the ocean, lots of outdoor active activities....in fact almost all on your list.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:45 PM

7,873 posts, read 10,559,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere
My problem seems to be that I want the best of both worlds... The ocean in my front yard and a big city in my backyard. My "dream home" is either a condo with a full ocean view or a beach cottage set a few blocks back (within biking distance), but I also need big-city amenities to be happily retired. Such things as a gym, library, university, symphony, ballet, art movies, museums, historic area, medical center, Meetup groups, a dance community, churches, public transportation, etc. no more than a half-hour's commute away. Add to that hiking trails, bike paths, and kayak venues, and you can see why I'm having such difficulty finding the right place. Finally, to further complicate things, to me the ocean means pounding surf. The sleepy gulf might as well be a swimming pool or inland lake.

Help!
Southern Delaware: Rehoboth or Lewis Right on the ocean, lots of outdoor active activities....in fact almost all on your list.

The nearest big city is Wilmington at an 1:30 minutes away and Philly , NY, Boston, & DC are all further away.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:39 AM

9,581 posts, read 10,923,342 times
Depending on temperature preferences and degree of civilization, you might like Cape Cod or Chincoteague Island. Cape Cod in the winter is one of those special places for special people.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 AM

978 posts, read 605,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Help!
You may want to check out Newport, R.I. You need to be a millionaire to own a condo on the ocean in Newport, but you could likely find a home in this city in your price range that you could easily bike to multiple beaches, a very vibrant port area, and pretty much something to explore up every street in this very historic community.

I live less than a 1/2 ride to Newport, was actually born in the former Navy Hospital there, was a city tour guide there for a few years, and after all these years I am still mesmerized by this city perched on the sea. Additionally, I and most of the locals prefer going to Newport in the winter when all of the tourists are long gone because the ocean in the winter can be quite beautiful. Newport certainly has much of what you listed which includes a small very good hospital, Salve Regina University and the Community College of R.I., and I believe it is home to the oldest library in the country. You will get your fill of churches in Newport because many fled to this city to escape religious persecution, so for that reason there is virtually every denomination represented in various houses of worship in Newport. If you desire to venture to bigger cities Providence is a 1/2 hour ride away, and Boston about an hour.

Check out Newport as this city IMO has just about everything on you wish list if you don't mind cold winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or