Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,418,649 times

Advertisements

Long Beach, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 05:05 AM

227 posts, read 258,066 times
There's a lot of places along the East coast that could fit what you are looking for. If you wanted milder climates, look from NC downward to FL, if you were okay with more winters, look upwards from NC. I'm in SC right now but we're thankfully moving (not the climate for us). Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Charleston, Pawley's Island...

I didn't see a budget mentioned so that would obviously be a limiting factor.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
You may want to check out Newport, R.I.
The difficulty hasn't been compiling a list of places that might possibly suit.

The problem is in defining what phrases like "check out" needs to mean...
in the context of uprooting and moving and then spending substantial amounts on a home.

It isn't done, can't be done, over the course of a few days or even a few weeks.
And especially not if those weeks are during the nicest weather season.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:47 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default Been there, done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My problem seems to be that I want the best of both worlds... The ocean in my front yard and a big city in my backyard. My "dream home" is either a condo with a full ocean view or a beach cottage set a few blocks back (within biking distance), but I also need big-city amenities to be happily retired. Such things as a gym, library, university, symphony, ballet, art movies, museums, historic area, medical center, Meetup groups, a dance community, churches, public transportation, etc. no more than a half-hour's commute away. Add to that hiking trails, bike paths, and kayak venues, and you can see why I'm having such difficulty finding the right place. Finally, to further complicate things, to me the ocean means pounding surf. The sleepy gulf might as well be a swimming pool or inland lake.

Help!
Try an Atlantic island outside of or located between metro areas. For example, Wilmington Island is 20 minutes from Savannah and Tybee, GA. Check up and down the Atlantic coast.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:57 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Long Beach, NY
I did run across this in my Google search and am quite intrigued by it. That's certainly "a beach town" with "a big city" nearby! I'm open to either the north or south, but wouldn't want to spend more than $350k on the property. The cost of living also can't be too ridiculously out-of-sight ("San Diego"). I've gone back and forth on oceanfront condo (they're quite affordable in a place like Myrtle Beach) versus a cottage set a few blocks back; if reasonably priced, I'd prefer the convenience and amenities of a condo. After all, it's retirement. "Been there, done that" maintaining a house as a single woman. My plan, again, is to buy a vacation rental, use a company to manage it when leased out during peak tourist season and travel during those months, then live there myself the rest of the year, but I would need something to do in the area besides stare at the water (especially if it's the boring gulf). I could also rent it out full-time and actually live elsewhere, if I choose the place carefully and wisely. Like many who post to CD in the "Retirement" forum, I'm simply trying to target some areas to check out rather than just aimlessly meander up and down the coast at random...

Last edited by otterhere; 03-07-2017 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 AM

242 posts, read 231,535 times
Nuts2u:
The nearest big city is Wilmington at an 1:30 minutes away and Philly , NY, Boston, & DC are all further away.[/quote]

That is true, however this area has a cultural atmosphere: museums, artists, classical music, dancing, theater, adult education classes linked to University of Delaware, churches, great shopping, a State Park and many very good restaurants. I've lived in urban areas and find that this area satisfies my need for stimulating activities.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My problem seems to be that I want the best of both worlds... The ocean in my front yard and a big city in my backyard. My "dream home" is either a condo with a full ocean view or a beach cottage set a few blocks back (within biking distance), but I also need big-city amenities to be happily retired. Such things as a gym, library, university, symphony, ballet, art movies, museums, historic area, medical center, Meetup groups, a dance community, churches, public transportation, etc. no more than a half-hour's commute away. Add to that hiking trails, bike paths, and kayak venues, and you can see why I'm having such difficulty finding the right place. Finally, to further complicate things, to me the ocean means pounding surf. The sleepy gulf might as well be a swimming pool or inland lake.

Help!
Sandbridge Beach, Virginia

Old 03-07-2017, 08:23 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Your original post is crying out : Charleston, SC though it may be out of your price range. Maybe a condo within biking distance of the beach? There may still be busses to the beach? Savannah will be a little bit cheaper. Some people prefer Savannah's ambience so you really need to check them both out in person.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The difficulty hasn't been compiling a list of places that might possibly suit.

The problem is in defining what phrases like "check out" needs to mean...
in the context of uprooting and moving and then spending substantial amounts on a home.

It isn't done, can't be done, over the course of a few days or even a few weeks.
And especially not if those weeks are during the nicest weather season.
The OP wants to relocate in retirement, listed multiple things he would like in an around that retirement location, and I responded with a location I am very familiar with that has many of the things the OP is looking for and that was the meaning behind maybe he would want to "check out" the location further.

Just curious why you chose to pick apart my post when I offered a location as well as examples of some of the things this location has that was on the OP's want list, and most of the other responses where basically names of places and not much else ???

Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
Nuts2u:
The nearest big city is Wilmington at an 1:30 minutes away and Philly , NY, Boston, & DC are all further away.

That is true, however this area has a cultural atmosphere: museums, artists, classical music, dancing, theater, adult education classes linked to University of Delaware, churches, great shopping, a State Park and many very good restaurants. I've lived in urban areas and find that this area satisfies my need for stimulating activities.[/quote]

I would agree that OP doesn't need a "big city" to get all of the amenities they asked about. The question is just how big a circle you need to draw to get to each of them. Walking distance would cut off just about every area. Increase that radius to 30-60 minute drive and there are perhaps dozens of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement