U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 12:07 PM

7,790 posts, read 4,381,326 times

Advertisements

My problem seems to be that I want the best of both worlds... The ocean in my front yard and a big city in my backyard. My "dream home" is either a condo with a full ocean view or a beach cottage set a few blocks back (within biking distance), but I also need big-city amenities to be happily retired. Such things as a gym, library, university, symphony, ballet, art movies, museums, historic area, medical center, Meetup groups, a dance community, churches, public transportation, etc. no more than a half-hour's commute away. Add to that hiking trails, bike paths, and kayak venues, and you can see why I'm having such difficulty finding the right place. Finally, to further complicate things, to me the ocean means pounding surf. The sleepy gulf might as well be a swimming pool or inland lake.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 12:10 PM

153 posts, read 104,141 times
San Diego

Old 03-06-2017, 12:13 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My problem seems to be that I want the best of both worlds...
You seem to have the same basic problem you've had before.

The need for SPECIFIC and PERSONAL experience of SEVERAL possible spots to choose from.
Then of course to actually make a choice.

RENT for an extended period at whichever is at the top of your list (or flip a coin).
Experience it with all the good and petty things that it's reality has.

If it doesn't suit... repeat the exercise.
Allow yourself time within that process for the process to actually work.

And of course SELL what you have now if you don't have family to look after it.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:19 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Unless you are a multi-millionaire it's time to get your head out of the clouds and come down to earth (reality). San Diego (as per post #2 above) would fill the bill, but to have a place within half a mile of the beach would require lots and lots of money.

It's hardly surprising you label yourself "confused"; some of us might call it "delusional". Please come back here in about a year to let us know how everything is working out for you.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:20 PM

991 posts, read 345,731 times
Portland, ME (a great little city and somewhat convenient to Boston) - Peaks Island is a cute little island about a 15 minute ferry ride from Portland.

Marblehead/Rockport/Gloucester, MA (convenient to Boston)

Unfortunately, you will have to deal with the cold winters or snowbird elsewhere.

Last edited by AnnaGWS; 03-06-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 PM

7,790 posts, read 4,381,326 times
"It's hardly surprising you label yourself "confused"; some of us might call it "delusional". Please come back here in about a year to let us know how everything is working out for you."

Nice! Thanks?

I should've specified: east coast. And I've saved enough to buy a decent place except for in the ritziest of areas, thank you.

Also, I realize that I could spend a year or two visiting various places and deciding for myself. I'm trying to narrow down the list in advance. But thanks!

Old 03-06-2017, 01:12 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Also, I realize that I could spend a year or two visiting various places and deciding for myself.
What you aren't realizing, adamantly refusing to accept, is that you NEED to spend a year or two
LIVING IN various places so that you CAN decide for yourself.

Quote:
I'm trying to narrow down the list in advance. But thanks!
How's that been working out for you?
---

My analysis is that one of the Atlantic beach towns near Jacksonville (and south) could be ideal.
More to the point They're probably the ONLY places to be choosing among for you.
The only other possibles are the GULF beach towns near Tampa (and south).

Throw a dart at a map of Florida.
Maybe that'll work.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:14 PM

781 posts, read 892,668 times
Rio baby!

Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Aside from costing a fortune, that ocean view often means bad, foggy winter weather and storms, high winds, salt corrosion for the house and cars, and the threat of tsunamis and/or rising sea levels. Should I mention skin cancers if you sit on the beach? Think twice about living on the ocean. It can be great for vacations but is rarely that attractive for full time living.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:40 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Guayaquil Ecuador or its nearest neighborhood resort town Salinas Ecuador
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or