U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2017, 11:33 PM
 
6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Reputation: 12710

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
........ It does NOT say that high cholesterol, in general, is a cause of heart disease and stroke.

Yet doctors are focused on getting the cholesterol levels low.

The association of high cholesterol, specifically high LDL, has been proven by huge and numerous studies. There is no doubt about the associate and the mechanisms that cause the diseases are also well known. Other huge studies have proven that statins greatly reduce the risks. These are questions that have been studied extensively for a great many decades. Your speculations and comments don't change the facts but they might mislead others.

 
Old 03-10-2017, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,158 posts, read 648,171 times
Reputation: 2244
My dr. has been pushing statins for years and I have been resistant. I tried diet changes. I ate a ton of oat bran for breakfasts. When I was trying that I also took red yeast rice and fish oil. Then she cancelled my appointment and I kept trying to get another. Got so discouraged I went off all that good diet for quite a few weeks and finally got an appointment and of course the labs came out bad again.

I'm my own worst enemy I guess. She read my chart wrong and said I lost 2 lbs. No I'd lost 12 and that was NOT easy for me. Again she pushed the drugs. I was so discouraged.

Next visit, she went ahead and prescribed statins. I brought them home and read the pamphlet about all the muscle problems. Can not bring myself to take them. I have a close relative who's health is ruined by those statins. His reg. dr. took him off them so he could get some muscle strength back in his legs. His life is very limited because of this and it's hard on his wife. Hospital put him back on and he became weaker. Reg. dr. took him off and he got a little better again.

I just can't bring myself to take this stuff and I don't know how to get my numbers better, though I don't believe we need to be at the levels the drs. are now saying. I just don't know what to do.
 
Old 03-10-2017, 01:36 AM
 
6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Reputation: 12710
Pat, take the statins and follow up with your physician. Odds are that side effects will be minimal or not observable. At age 70 I have been on statins for 10 years. I am doing archery and building strength. I can hike for miles even in the mountains at high elevation. I do complain once in a while about muscle weakness but I suspect it is just related to aging. If you do develop significant side effects you can always re think and discuss with your doctor. If your high lipids result in cardiovascular disease, muscle weakness might be the least of your concerns.
 
Old 03-10-2017, 04:22 AM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The association of high cholesterol, specifically high LDL, has been proven by huge and numerous studies. There is no doubt about the associate and the mechanisms that cause the diseases are also well known. Other huge studies have proven that statins greatly reduce the risks. These are questions that have been studied extensively for a great many decades. Your speculations and comments don't change the facts but they might mislead others.
There is an association, but that does NOT mean the CAUSE is known!

And I said many times already that doctors should not prescribe statins based only on the total number. And you just said here "specifically high LDL."

The mechanisms that causes the diseases are NOT well known!

Heart disease and stroke associated with type 2 diabetes, and involves inflammation. Statins are anti-inflammatory, which explains why they have some benefit.

You simply want to disagree, you are not trying to follow my logic.
 
Old 03-10-2017, 05:38 AM
 
Location: ☀️ SWFL ⛱ 🌴
2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
Reputation: 8643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There is an association, but that does NOT mean the CAUSE is known!

And I said many times already that doctors should not prescribe statins based only on the total number. And you just said here "specifically high LDL."

The mechanisms that causes the diseases are NOT well known!

Heart disease and stroke associated with type 2 diabetes, and involves inflammation. Statins are anti-inflammatory, which explains why they have some benefit.

You simply want to disagree, you are not trying to follow my logic.
You have two threads now on statins. Your logic has been presented and not everyone agrees. Repeating yourself isn't necessary.
 
Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 AM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
You have two threads now on statins. Your logic has been presented and not everyone agrees. Repeating yourself isn't necessary.
If you don't agree with that statement, you could link to the research you base your opinion on.

What I said is well known, but unfortunately most medical doctors just follow guidelines, which may be over-simplified or out of date.
 
Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 AM
 
2,442 posts, read 2,068,483 times
Reputation: 5690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
You have two threads now on statins. Your logic has been presented and not everyone agrees. Repeating yourself isn't necessary.
Agreed
 
Old 03-10-2017, 08:20 AM
 
4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Agreed
If you don't like my comments, don't read them. This is important information that some people might want to think about.
 
Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
25,310 posts, read 41,394,152 times
Reputation: 29403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
If you don't like my comments, don't read them. This is important information that some people might want to think about.
Your hammering the same issue over and over, does not help...

Thread closed.
 
Old 03-10-2017, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Idaho
4,620 posts, read 4,458,547 times
Reputation: 9033
[mod note] Any future threads about statin medicines and cholesterol levels will either deleted or moved to the Health & Wellness forum. Feel free to create a new thread there. [/mod note]
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top