U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,940,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I honestly think most MDs do not have an internet connection and never heard of google. Just a little searching will show you that statins are controversial, and the evidence is far from convincing.

We don't have good evidence that cholesterol causes heart disease, and we don't have good evidence that statins improve health. Lots of people actually think statins are extremely bad for health, in many ways.

The doctor looked at one number, my total cholesterol, and went on to make assumptions that were not based on science.

And tried to scare me into taking drugs for the rest of my life.
Sounds like you need a new doctor.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 1,883,639 times
Experience with Statins and Tricor is as bad as many has stated here.
The incidence of pain from using Statins was much more than "rare" when I was taking the drugs. My pain from the drugs is higher than any cholesterol levels.
Very high Trigly(TG). Root cause was discovered to be Diabetes2. I have a narrow range of sugar/starch tolerance and from literature not all that high. I have tried a strict and modified AdkinsDiets which have seemed to helped lower the TG but have brought on gout even though uric acid levels are normal. Ht/Wt is OK at high normal, I exercise. I could lose 10-15 #, but I am uncomfortable at the lower weight.
Battling prostate issues. Maybe from the fish oil that Dr recommended (12-1000mg) but I could only do 6.
YMMV

Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 PM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
We are low carb and low sugar too. In fact, being gluten free help because you don't eat everything, particularly free bread at a restaurant. Even gluten free food, we limit to small amount. Luckily we eat lots of vegs, at least my husband does. I just snack here and there. But we eat lots of nuts, my nails are very strong. Must be calcium.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:05 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,136,470 times
Quote:
I honestly think most MDs do not have an internet connection and never heard of google. Just a little searching will show you that statins are controversial, and the evidence is far from convincing.

We don't have good evidence that cholesterol causes heart disease, and we don't have good evidence that statins improve health. Lots of people actually think statins are extremely bad for health, in many ways.

The doctor looked at one number, my total cholesterol, and went on to make assumptions that were not based on science.

And tried to scare me into taking drugs for the rest of my life.
I had to laugh to myself when I read that you think most md's do not have an internet connection. Believe me, they do, and they have nice little apps that they use multiple times a day to look up medication protocols, treatment protocols, drug interactions and every other thing under the sun. You might be lucky if he looks up and sees if you are still in the room.

I just had my 6 month appointment the other day. All findings within normal limits. LDL 103, HDL 45, A1C 6.0. She said my HDL could stand to be a bit higher.

I take medication for every little thing. You name it, I take a pill for it. All generic, cheap and I don't think I have any of the side effects you all are so worried about.

I will say this, there is a lot of misinformation and dubious web sites on the internet and you must be careful what you get caught up in.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 PM

6,211 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Sadly, some people read something on the internet and believe they know more than a physician. It is hopeless to try to tell them otherwise. For those of you who have some interest, there are guidelines that have been agreed upon based on medical research. These have been updated numerous times. Google ATP IV to read the most recent guidelines. You will also quickly see that the HDL ratio is not considered important. It is easy to calculate and is provided by Quest and some other labs, but is not used as a basis for any decision making.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:42 PM

1,171 posts, read 463,614 times
Quote:
She said it doesn't matter if blood pressure is normal, the carotid arteries could still be blocked, and that can cause a stroke.
In her medical training and career she has been repeatedly sent these messages which now are not conclusive.

Quote:
So was I scared into getting a prescription?

No, I told her total cholesterol doesn't matter, you have to look at the ratio of HDL and LDL. Yes, I was telling an M.D how to do her job!

I told her the research on cholesterol-lowering drugs is not conclusive, and I said she should read it.
In addition her belief to put you on Big Pharma Meds has been pummeled into her (and our) minds for decades.

Here is a good article with sources cited when you click the link.
https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...h-cholesterol/

Quote:
It was obvious she was getting very angry (can't really blame her), but trying to stay calm.
Medical education + Big Pharma = a form of brainwashing, IMO.

Quote:
As soon as I got home I looked up the normal ranges for HDL and LDL. Yes my total cholesterol is high, but my HDL / LDL range is very low (1.6). So according to everything I read, I have extremely low risk of a heart attack or stroke.

And my triglycerides and VLDL are very low.
Quote:
Yes I have high total cholesterol, but that means nothing, especially when you get older. In some research, high cholesterol was shown to predict better health in older people!
Yes, please browse the article in the link I put up above.

Quote:
I have a healthy lifestyle and I exercise every day. The doctor I saw today, on the other hand, is fat.
Go figure.

Quote:
I am posting this to see if any of you had similar experiences, and if you managed to resist getting put on harmful drugs. They really try to scare you.
Misinformation and fear = million$.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:08 AM

21,534 posts, read 43,962,244 times
HDL = Healthy high-density lipoproteins
LDL = Lousy low-density lipoproteins

Statins destroy muscle. Cutting the dose to 25% of what is prescribed might be OK, for some.

I avoid any medication. Almost died in my 30's from an antibiotic misprescribed for what was in, reality, hepatitis. Antibiotic caused liver failure. Only recovered because, after five months bedridden, I went to a nutritionist who put me on a liver/colon cleanse, and then I followed that up w/14-day fast at a naturopathic clinic in FL. Took me a year to get on my feet. I haven't taken any medication of any type since.

Now 75 y/o, no health issues. Every natural healer I've seen says statins are poison. When you have muscle breakdown and pain - that CANNOT be a good thing. Doc I saw 7-8 years ago wanted me on a statin, was very insistent - prescribed 40 mg. Lipitor - which is the worst, from what I read at that time. Cholesterol 248 - but HDL's very high, triglycerides/ldl very low. I ran out of his office. Never went back. Don't need to learn that lesson a second time.

49 y/o son was hospitalized with heart failure two years ago. Docs prescribed two heart meds and a diuretic. Six weeks later after a routine blood test, he got a panic call from hospital - check into ER - he was in kidney failure. He went on internet - turns out one of the heart meds (a new one) prescribed was opposing the diuretic. Tests when he was first hospitalized showed increasingly negative kidney function levels - but no one noticed the pattern until he was in crisis six weeks after discharge. He immediately ceased the heart med which was the culprit - which he learned about on one of the kidney forums - and his readings turned around quickly. Never did go to the ER. Stopped the med and began drinking nettleleaf tea. Been fine ever since.

I believe in getting checkups, etc. But, especially as I'm getting older and given my particular experience, will not risk messing with my metabolism and undermine my health with drugs. jm2c

Old 03-07-2017, 06:29 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
I'm with you, OP. My total numbers were over 300 but my HDL was over 200 and LDL very low so the ratios were in the "ideal" range. Triglycerides were also very low. So I don't do anything about it.

Big Pharma has brainwashed doctors and the public. We all have to do our own research in addition to what the doctors say.

I'm even starting to doubt supplements. Can't get them here so have been off them for 6 months. No change that I can detect. It's a confusing mess. I'm not on any meds at all at 61 and it all seems the same.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 AM

14,684 posts, read 8,468,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
HDL = Healthy high-density lipoproteins
LDL = Lousy low-density lipoproteins

Statins destroy muscle. Cutting the dose to 25% of what is prescribed might be OK, for some.

I avoid any medication. Almost died in my 30's from an antibiotic misprescribed for what was in, reality, hepatitis. Antibiotic caused liver failure. Only recovered because, after five months bedridden, I went to a nutritionist who put me on a liver/colon cleanse, and then I followed that up w/14-day fast at a naturopathic clinic in FL. Took me a year to get on my feet. I haven't taken any medication of any type since.

Now 75 y/o, no health issues. Every natural healer I've seen says statins are poison. When you have muscle breakdown and pain - that CANNOT be a good thing. Doc I saw 7-8 years ago wanted me on a statin, was very insistent - prescribed 40 mg. Lipitor - which is the worst, from what I read at that time. Cholesterol 248 - but HDL's very high, triglycerides/ldl very low. I ran out of his office. Never went back. Don't need to learn that lesson a second time.

49 y/o son was hospitalized with heart failure two years ago. Docs prescribed two heart meds and a diuretic. Six weeks later after a routine blood test, he got a panic call from hospital - check into ER - he was in kidney failure. He went on internet - turns out one of the heart meds (a new one) prescribed was opposing the diuretic. Tests when he was first hospitalized showed increasingly negative kidney function levels - but no one noticed the pattern until he was in crisis six weeks after discharge. He immediately ceased the heart med which was the culprit - which he learned about on one of the kidney forums - and his readings turned around quickly. Never did go to the ER. Stopped the med and began drinking nettleleaf tea. Been fine ever since.

I believe in getting checkups, etc. But, especially as I'm getting older and given my particular experience, will not risk messing with my metabolism and undermine my health with drugs. jm2c
It sounds like you're against any kind of medication and you believe that every medicine destroys your health. I agree; medicines have side effects, some severe, and I do try natural remedies when I can, like peppermint for nausea and lavender for headaches. But there is no proof that statins destroy muscle. You know what destroys muscle? Being fat and lazy from watching TV on the couch all day.

So many people read blogs written by some clown who's just writing their personal experience about something and take it as gospel truth. Statins are designed to assist in bringing down your cholesterol numbers. I have been taking them for about a decade after having high cholesterol since age 17 due to genetic propensity for high numbers. I exercise hard core and am in pretty good shape from consistent running and cardio. When I want to know the truth about a drug or medical condition, I read scientific journal articles about the subject, in which scientists perform experiments to determine via objective means whatever answers they are seeking. I take 10mg of Crestor and my cholesterol is controlled from about 300 to 190. Diet and exercise alone has never been enough to get my cholesterol numbers down.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:11 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It sounds like you're against any kind of medication and you believe that every medicine destroys your health. I agree; medicines have side effects, some severe, and I do try natural remedies when I can, like peppermint for nausea and lavender for headaches. But there is no proof that statins destroy muscle. You know what destroys muscle? Being fat and lazy from watching TV on the couch all day.

So many people read blogs written by some clown who's just writing their personal experience about something and take it as gospel truth. Statins are designed to assist in bringing down your cholesterol numbers. I have been taking them for about a decade after having high cholesterol since age 17 due to genetic propensity for high numbers. I exercise hard core and am in pretty good shape from consistent running and cardio. When I want to know the truth about a drug or medical condition, I read scientific journal articles about the subject, in which scientists perform experiments to determine via objective means whatever answers they are seeking. I take 10mg of Crestor and my cholesterol is controlled from about 300 to 190. Diet and exercise alone has never been enough to get my cholesterol numbers down.
As some of us already said, there is a small minority of patients who need statins, because their cholesterol is high for genetic reasons. You are obviously an example of that.

And I do not read one blog written by some clown and take it as truth. I fact check everything and make sure to read multiple sources. I read both alternative and mainstream medical articles and blogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or