U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,640 posts, read 4,693,202 times
Reputation: 27938

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How is his weight?
Over. Mostly in his gut, the classic beer belly profile, though he doesn't drink. Yeah, that could be throwing his back out too, I know. I don't bug him about it because he has been reducing portions a lot lately, which I admire. There was a time when he could and would finish everyone else's meals and not gain weight. This is no longer that time.

And don't I know the Hitchcockian silhouette puts him at risk for heart disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2017, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Reputation: 12813
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Over. Mostly in his gut, the classic beer belly profile, though he doesn't drink. Yeah, that could be throwing his back out too, I know. I don't bug him about it because he has been reducing portions a lot lately, which I admire. There was a time when he could and would finish everyone else's meals and not gain weight. This is no longer that time.

And don't I know the Hitchcockian silhouette puts him at risk for heart disease.
Long story short the beer gut needs to go. Even young people can't stay healthy without exercise, the older you get, the worse it is. Even just walking say working up to around 5 miles a day can help. Beer gut can and does mess with the back.

Some weight lifting, even if only machines, will help too.

The Hitchcockian silhouette truly is not a good thing related to the heart, or any other vital organ really.

When I miss a few workouts in a row (I mostly do a 20 minute session on an elliptical machine) I really feel it, I feel bad. When I get to the gym 3X per week, I feel good and sleep good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 12:21 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,058,318 times
Reputation: 4222
I wouldn't recommend doing any exercises, chiro, etc until he has X-rays, MRI, it could be a lot of things causing this and don't want to do any more harm until you know what it is. If he has been falling, then the doctor needs to know that too, as they will need to do testing for falls as well. Wishing you both all the best...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 12:49 PM
 
6,310 posts, read 5,051,434 times
Reputation: 12815
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Long story short the beer gut needs to go. Even young people can't stay healthy without exercise, the older you get, the worse it is. Even just walking say working up to around 5 miles a day can help. Beer gut can and does mess with the back.

Some weight lifting, even if only machines, will help too.

The Hitchcockian silhouette truly is not a good thing related to the heart, or any other vital organ really.

When I miss a few workouts in a row (I mostly do a 20 minute session on an elliptical machine) I really feel it, I feel bad. When I get to the gym 3X per week, I feel good and sleep good.
yes, I haven't exercised in a week and feel awful. Our instructor has been out of town. I do other things, but prefer the group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
21,868 posts, read 14,371,350 times
Reputation: 30738
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
DH is 6 ft and 66 years old. For some little time he's been walking with a slight stoop. But in the past few days he is walking stooped and with the hips thrown out to one side or the other. He is very sedentary, always has been with the exception of walking at night sometimes. He spends a lot of time in a desk chair, both at home and at work.

I'm worried about what this body misalignment might mean for his back and for his future health. Any ideas how I can get this properly checked out and referred to the appropriate practitioner? Should I just make an appt with our PCP, who can refer him to PT?

Ideas, please. Thanks.
What you say, yes.

And a regular visit to a Chiropractor might also help him. A chiropractor helped me greatly when I had a flare up of sciatica. If your DH has a back problem, treatment might help him feel better.

But also, have him see a doc.

Keep us posted on what you do.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 02:39 PM
 
6,246 posts, read 4,728,813 times
Reputation: 12795
I don't want to nitpick, but I find the choice of words to be careless at best. There is nothing funny about someone having difficulty walking erect. This could be a sign of serious conditions that need medical evaluation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 03:05 PM
 
5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Reputation: 13704
When I noticed presidential candidate Bernie Saunders having a consistent stoop and always having a rounded stooped back & posture with head thrust forward, I googled having a stoop while aging. It can be a part of aging for some people, and there are medical conditions and conditions of aging. which cause it.

You could also google 'change of gait in older people' or 'change of gait while aging'. - quite interesting.

https://michaelgleibermd.com/news/pe...h-forward-age/

Why do people lose height and develop a stooped posture as they get older? - Ask Doctor K - Ask Doctor K, Harvard Medical School

Kyphosis: Causes, Treatments, and Risks

10 Ways to Have Great Posture as You Age - Health.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 PM
 
1,813 posts, read 1,137,790 times
Reputation: 2412
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
DH is 6 ft and 66 years old. For some little time he's been walking with a slight stoop. But in the past few days he is walking stooped and with the hips thrown out to one side or the other. He is very sedentary, always has been with the exception of walking at night sometimes. He spends a lot of time in a desk chair, both at home and at work.

I'm worried about what this body misalignment might mean for his back and for his future health. Any ideas how I can get this properly checked out and referred to the appropriate practitioner? Should I just make an appt with our PCP, who can refer him to PT?

Ideas, please. Thanks.
Wait a minute. Is this your husband or your senile, helpless father. I am just kind of teasing, maybe I'm jealous that my wife doesn't manage me like you seem to be doing him. On second thought, maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 04:08 PM
 
6,353 posts, read 5,158,773 times
Reputation: 8527
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Over. Mostly in his gut, the classic beer belly profile, though he doesn't drink. Yeah, that could be throwing his back out too, I know. I don't bug him about it because he has been reducing portions a lot lately, which I admire. There was a time when he could and would finish everyone else's meals and not gain weight. This is no longer that time.

And don't I know the Hitchcockian silhouette puts him at risk for heart disease.
I have that build also, and my legs and back are perfectly fine. He should be checked out to make sure it's not something serious. If it's not, I would follow the PT advice given by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 04:38 PM
 
10,531 posts, read 15,593,251 times
Reputation: 11841
He developed hip flexion and adductor longus contractures. this is typical of a sedentary person sitting a lot.
Same muscles are weak. Hip extensors and ab-ductors are weaker though.
His paraspinals are weak also, resulting in that particular posture. Heck, entire core is not worth a dime.
Typical. I am seeing MANY patients like this. never lifted anything heavier than a spoon or Big Mac. never dedicated time to maintaining body healthy through exercise.
That eventually calls for payback.
Sorry for being blunt. It is what it is. Then good surgeons "will fix" it. Then they end in my hands, as I deal with aftereffects. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top