U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 AM

15,200 posts, read 8,509,345 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are lots of things we think we SHOULD do and the excuse while working is that there's no time - once retired you learned that it's not just time but that there's no real desire either because it's not something you truly want to do -it's just more of a chore. And sometimes I have an image of myself being the kind of person who does "x"...when the opportunity finally presents myself I find that's not really something I want to do, it was just a fantasy. We don't suddenly change and become exciting people just because we retire, right?

I think both those things are okay as long as you're still doing the things you REALLY want to do - even if they seem a little mundane. You can try pushing yourself a little more to do the things you think you "should do" and "should like to do". But it seems more important that if you're finding that the things you used to like doing are also not fun any more and that you're just sitting around depressed then that is a different issue and you might want to consider re-evaluating your retirement and what you want to get out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 06:28 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
I'm always changing and evolving. I don't stick to one hobby.

What I find strange is that people, well some, expect you to do the same thing all the time. If you like to cook, they think you should be cooking up a storm 24/7. I went through my cooking phase and I'm done with it. Did spend too much money, so now I try to keep it simple.

I never know what new thing I'll start pursuing. Lately it's been reading and lounging around. We all need a break.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:01 AM

538 posts, read 283,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
No.

I have been doing pretty much what I intended plus I have added a lot of things I had not thought about.

I traveled in the National Parks full time for a couple of years and several months at a time since then. I have done a lot of photography and progressed to become a skilled photographer. I continue to take courses on photography, arts, and other related topics. I have gotten to the point where I am teaching instead of just learning. I have developed and continue to work on my artistic vision and style.

My wife and I have resettled with a new house and new lifestyle. I started archery again this past year and am progressing way beyond my level of year's ago. I started pastel painting recently and have my first work accepted for an art museum exhibition.
Newly retired, but I certainly am very inspired to rise to this level of activity as I become more adjusted to having so much extra time. jrkliny, would love to see some of your photography and artwork. Are you willing to share some pictures? As a former commercial photographer, I'd like to get more involved in the travel and landscape genres and make it more like a hobby now... enjoyable and fun... as doing that kind of work for a living is not quite the same animal.

We are preparing to put our house on the market later this year, so my current time is being spent Spring cleaning, wall painting and generally clearing out stuff we won't be needing as we downsize. It has been very cathartic and satisfying activity.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,005,081 times
I retired 20 years ago. I still haven't experienced that nothing-to-do boredom that some people complain of.
The pictures are still in boxes under the bed. They date from pre-computer times.
We did cruises and overseas travel while we were still working. Since then we traveled extensively with small trailers.
We went to 34 national parks and went coast to coast several times, plus trips into Mexico and Canada. With a little trailer it was cheaper than a high $$$ motorhome and you go the same places.

At ages 83 and 82 we have given up camping and most travel, but there is enough to do here in this geezer community.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,034,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vespa View Post
I'm coming up on five years into retirement now and am mostly adjusted and content; retirement is great. But I've been thinking lately about the things I thought I would be doing once I retired, had no constraints on my free time. For example, I would be absolutely free to
  • Organize my photos--scattered thru albums, digital photos, those in boxes, etc.
  • Get back into yoga. I used to be seriously into yoga.
  • Brush up on my Spanish. I took years and years of it, years ago.
  • Go into a Christian Science Reading Room! They seem so interesting and inviting from the outside. What goes on in there? [No offense to anyone]
  • Learn to Moonwalk. It always looked fun!

But, I haven't done any of those things. What do I do? Basically, the same things I've always done: 1) Read a great deal. A book a week, plus magazines, newspapers, etc. 2) Exercise (mostly run) just about as regular as clockwork.

Bottom line? I don't know . . . lazy, I guess. Apparently, I don't really want to Moonwalk, etc. (?)

Anyway, what about others? Do you experience the same phenomenon in retirement?
Darth Vespa, I have only been retired since October - it was unplanned as my job of 18 years was eliminated. I had wanted to work a couple more years and try to live on SS and save all my income...however, since October I have really enjoyed not working and really don't want to go back to work if at all possible.

That said, I know we should allow ourselves a little downtime after retiring, but I actually fear a little that I will take more of the route you are taking...before I retired, I thought of all the many things I wanted to do...but I find myself too lazy or interested to even try to get into anything. I think I will allow myself a few more weeks and then start making myself get out and join in some things. I want to have a joyful and busy retirement doing the things I enjoy...I guess there should be some sort of balance though...that is, do things when you want to, and lounge around with no guilt when you feel like it!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:53 PM

869 posts, read 894,330 times
Quote:
[*]Brush up on my Spanish. I took years and years of it, years ago.
¡Andale, póngase a estudiar! En el tiempo que tomó para escribir todo esto pudo haber tomado un curso entero de Español! Jaja nomás estoy jugando...Espero estar jubilado algún dia como usted, saludos! =)

Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
It's not a contest.

It's always good to hear people's stories of what retired life is for them. We all have different personalities, different interests, different energy levels, etc. Although I believe that branching out into new experiences is good for us in general, perhaps it is also good to remind oursleves that it's not a contest. If someone finds joy and fulfillment in a feverish round of traveling and other activities, then that is just great, but it's not a contest, so others might just be stressed and unhappy trying to emulate the super-active ones.

The opposite extreme is unhealthy in my opinion: social isolation, couch potato existence, watching TV all day every day, no purpose at all. If someone claims that's what they really want, I'm just not buying it.

I have settled into a routine of a few different activities containing some variety which I find gratifying in different ways: working with young people in the schools as a volunteer three days a week, being president of the HOA where I live (which has been a crusade to undo the previous tyanny), attendance at live classical music concerts a couple of times a month, lots of reading, and occasional traveling. So I don't think having a "routine" is necessarily bad provided it's not a stultifying one. My routine provides both enjoyment and variety. I'll never come close to winning the "activity" contest but that's O.K. because I'm not competing in it in the first place.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:26 AM

156 posts, read 149,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
¡Andale, póngase a estudiar! En el tiempo que tomó para escribir todo esto pudo haber tomado un curso entero de Español! Jaja nomás estoy jugando...Espero estar jubilado algún dia como usted, saludos! =)
That's harsh and not as easy as it sounds.
But thanks for responding and best wishes.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:07 AM

538 posts, read 283,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
At ages 83 and 82 we have given up camping and most travel, but there is enough to do here in this geezer community.
^^^ This made me laugh, great start to the day!

Old 03-09-2017, 07:13 AM

15,200 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Quote:
Congrats to you! I feel like a slug after reading all that.
I detest anything that feels like a contest and I won't allow myself to feel like a slug, for whatever reason, before or after retirement. I have only myself to answer to and to make happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement