Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:37 PM

197 posts, read 208,793 times

Advertisements

I'm coming up on five years into retirement now and am mostly adjusted and content; retirement is great. But I've been thinking lately about the things I thought I would be doing once I retired, had no constraints on my free time. For example, I would be absolutely free to
  • Organize my photos--scattered thru albums, digital photos, those in boxes, etc.
  • Get back into yoga. I used to be seriously into yoga.
  • Brush up on my Spanish. I took years and years of it, years ago.
  • Go into a Christian Science Reading Room! They seem so interesting and inviting from the outside. What goes on in there? [No offense to anyone]
  • Learn to Moonwalk. It always looked fun!

But, I haven't done any of those things. What do I do? Basically, the same things I've always done: 1) Read a great deal. A book a week, plus magazines, newspapers, etc. 2) Exercise (mostly run) just about as regular as clockwork.

Bottom line? I don't know . . . lazy, I guess. Apparently, I don't really want to Moonwalk, etc. (?)

Anyway, what about others? Do you experience the same phenomenon in retirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 08:59 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vespa View Post
Do you experience the same phenomenon in retirement?
No.

I have been doing pretty much what I intended plus I have added a lot of things I had not thought about.

I traveled in the National Parks full time for a couple of years and several months at a time since then. I have done a lot of photography and progressed to become a skilled photographer. I continue to take courses on photography, arts, and other related topics. I have gotten to the point where I am teaching instead of just learning. I have developed and continue to work on my artistic vision and style.

My wife and I have resettled with a new house and new lifestyle. I started archery again this past year and am progressing way beyond my level of year's ago. I started pastel painting recently and have my first work accepted for an art museum exhibition.

I watch very little TV and read few books outside of technical learning. I consider both a substitute for having an engaged life.

I set goals and pursue my interests to the best of my abilities.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Retirement can include the time you always wanted to spend on things that we didn't have time for when working. Learning, that's the thing that keeps the mind and body focused on the anticipation, that feeling of "I can't wait to get home and do--" whatever.. Work takes a lot out of us and when not working many of us have a kind of hangover from it all that lulls us back into those days when we worked and rested. Now the new and exciting stuff is our job, and for that we can be considered fortunate, many never reach this point in life. Take full advantage of it, keep moving..

Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
I've been sort of ''semi-retired'' for a few years and now don't have even a part-time job. I have some interests and activities that I enjoy already and I think about doing other things now with more free time.
Will I do them? I don't know. Will I be disappointed in myself if I don't? Not sure of that either.
I just know I had many years of being forced to do things I hated at times and had to be on somebody else's schedule and got oh so sick of that too.
So really, I don't care. For me retirement is about doing what I want, when I want, or not.
No more, ''Oh I need to get up now and do such and such. I shouldn't be lounging around all morning, cuddling with my dogs, reading a book..'' ETC. Pfooey on that thinking! Had a wonderful morning doing just that.
For me, being spontaneous is a novelty right now and I am really enjoying having no plan each day beyond the minimal ''have tos'' like grocery shop, walk dogs, laundry, fix food, etc.
So I'm not worrying, just enjoying! Yet. LOL

Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
I'm coming up on five years into retirement now and am mostly adjusted and content; retirement is great. But I've been thinking lately about the things I thought I would be doing once I retired, had no constraints on my free time. For example, I would be absolutely free to
  • Organize my photos--scattered thru albums, digital photos, those in boxes, etc.
  • Get back into yoga. I used to be seriously into yoga.
  • Brush up on my Spanish. I took years and years of it, years ago.
  • Go into a Christian Science Reading Room! They seem so interesting and inviting from the outside. What goes on in there? [No offense to anyone]
  • Learn to Moonwalk. It always looked fun!

But, I haven't done any of those things. What do I do? Basically, the same things I've always done: 1) Read a great deal. A book a week, plus magazines, newspapers, etc. 2) Exercise (mostly run) just about as regular as clockwork.

Bottom line? I don't know . . . lazy, I guess. Apparently, I don't really want to Moonwalk, etc. (?)

Anyway, what about others? Do you experience the same phenomenon in retirement?
Yes, absolutely.
I have not reorganized my garage yet. The last move was year 2004. I'm lazy as well.
But I found new passion in my painting class. It brings a smile to my face when I think of what I need to do there. I guess we are gravitated to fun instead of what we should do.
I used to have a list and check them off. Now I guess I don't care. But so glad I got back to gardening this month. I almost feel sad that I lost interest in my favorite hobby.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:44 PM

197 posts, read 208,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
No.

I have been doing pretty much what I intended plus I have added a lot of things I had not thought about.

I traveled in the National Parks full time for a couple of years and several months at a time since then. I have done a lot of photography and progressed to become a skilled photographer. I continue to take courses on photography, arts, and other related topics. I have gotten to the point where I am teaching instead of just learning. I have developed and continue to work on my artistic vision and style.

My wife and I have resettled with a new house and new lifestyle. I started archery again this past year and am progressing way beyond my level of year's ago. I started pastel painting recently and have my first work accepted for an art museum exhibition.

I watch very little TV and read few books outside of technical learning. I consider both a substitute for having an engaged life.

I set goals and pursue my interests to the best of my abilities.
Congrats to you! I feel like a slug after reading all that.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:33 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Well, Darth Vespa, meet a fellow procrastinator. I've been retired almost 12 years. I did finally organize my photos, but I think I was more than five years into retirement at the time. Other things happened a bit more promptly, like my big road trip - gone two months, headed up into western Canada, then as far east as Buffalo, New York, then down through the south and back, visiting museums, a childhood home town, sights, cousins, and old friends all over the place. I was a year late getting started, but the delay was the death of my mother and the need to handle her affairs.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Quote:
Congrats to you! I feel like a slug after reading all that.

You shouldn't. We can all decide what is important and act accordingly. I have always felt retirement was the time to rethink goals and I wanted experiences that were way different than in my working life.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:48 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times
[quote=jrkliny;47435684] and read few books outside of technical learning. [/quote/]

This is not meant to be snarky or insulting. I think this explains something I did not understand before.

To me, reading lets me know how other people think about things, how they reach conclusions totally different from mine using the same set of facts, is the basis for empathy. Why one man's glass is half empty and one half full.

To answer the OP's question: I find myself back sliding. I call it "living the same life in a different place" and I can get pretty far dug in and begin to lose the joy of being retired before I realize what's happening. These spells are often accompanied by gaining a few pounds.

Luckily, so far, I've been able to climb back out of my hole and get on with enjoying my retirement. My goals are small and few: enjoy the day! be as spontaneous as two small dogs allow me to be. appreciate where I have ended up and how I got here.

I mastered the mashed potatoes. Moonwalking is not on my list, but I am dancing in my kitchen again

Old 03-08-2017, 05:17 AM

761 posts, read 832,247 times
I tried painting.
In one class we were supposed to paint lilies
on Lilly pads.

Mine looked more like a field of meteorite
explosions.

I explained the stunted lillies by saying
that there was a Eurasian millfoil infestation
that caused the lilllies to wither and appear
sickly.

It was impressionistic after all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement