Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Well I normally don't like to eat hamburgers but today I did enjoy eating one with my husband. I finally found a combination that I really enjoy at these built in your own burger. Fresh jalapeño is the real kicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 09:16 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
My challenges started off last fall in a small way with a small one making me see myself. I am a work in progress.

I found I was telling my grandson "one day" too many times. As in "one day we'll stop and park and walk across that little bridge and see what's there" or "one day we should stop and count how many plastic pumpkins are on that big house's wall before Halloween is over". The season passed and we never stopped.

One day finally happened this past year, we stopped and parked. We found there were fish and a heron under the little bridge when we walked over it and there were 49 plastic pumpkins on that wall with two skulls, we counted them. If I catch myself saying "one day" now, I stop and do whatever I was putting off to one day, right at that moment if possible.

This Friday we went to see the replicas of the Nina and Pinta that were docked and my challenge this week was taking a leprechaun along with me. He had on a green shirt, a green bowler hat, and a bright yellow bow tie. My first impulse was to have him change back into my grandson before leaving the house, but then I thought why or more to the point, why not.

I've got the one day nonsense on the run with more spontaneity and I'm working on being able to see what really matters now, and again more to the point, what really doesn't matter.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-12-2017 at 09:40 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM

242 posts, read 231,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
I challenge everyone who is retired to try something new this week.
Okay, well nothing really earth shattering.....I tried what was for me a new kind of fish: swai fish It was really good and surprisingly inexpensive. Anyone try/do something new?

Old 03-15-2017, 12:25 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
In my previous post I stated of enjoying new challenges at times but more often facing and not seeking challenges.

I have had more challenges recently than what I want to handle. I am looking forward to a day where I can relax, not worrying about anything broken and maybe enjoying something new like watching a TV episode. The last TV episode we watched was Downton Abbey's finale!

Here are the things which are 'broken' in my house. First my husband still has not fully recovered from his back injury and the associated sciatica problem. He was able to walk around the house without a cane but somehow he knee became quite sore two days ago.

Then our dog developed multiple big tumors on her hind leg (likely sarcoma cancer) which required amputation last Tuesday. It has been a challenge trying to help her getting in and out of the house over the steps. Yesterday when I was checking her rump area just about the amputated leg, I discovered a small tumor there. We will ask the vet to check it out when we take her in for stitches removal in a day or two.

I have not called the vet since I have no ideas when we can get out of the house after Mother Nature dumped 2' of snow on our driveway. Yesterday when I tried to use the snow blower, it broke after 2 passes and stuck at the end of the steep driveway. My clever husband hobbled out on his cane with a rope and instructed me to tie it to the front. Withe me pulling as hard as I could and him pushing as much as he was able, we managed to bring the snow blower back inside the garage. My internet searches pointed toward something broken with the traction control system. Today, we drained the fuel, opened the panel to inspect it today and found a broken spring. Sears has the part in stock but first we have to clear the driveway to get the car out.

So I have been spending yesterday and today shoveling and pushing huge piles of snow. I did come up a 'new' way to manage the heavy, compacted snow in front of the driveway. I dug a path on the lawn and sort of form of shallow slope ramp. This allows me to use the shovel pushing big chunks of icy snow on the ramp and dump them on the lawn. This is much better than trying to throw heavy shovelful of snow over the 3' high snow banks.

The only good news is that the weather was good on Monday (before the storm) for me to go flying and checking out the alternator. It was rock solid after 1.5 hrs of flight. So it could be just a stuck brush inside the alternator which somehow became unstuck. This could happen again but this gives me sometimes to research on the alternator problem and the best replacement. My search and inquiry on two aviation forums yielded the consensus opinion of the best brand. Replacing the current alternator with internal voltage regulator with this brand with external voltage regulator will require extra work in mounting and wiring. Of course, I can just ask the A&P (aviation mechanic) just do it but I want to know and discuss with him the best mounting spot and best way to route the wires.

Bottom line is that life is always filled with challenges, big and small. I don't need no more stinkin' challenges at the moment ;-)

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-15-2017 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I prefer to be regimented. Work, walk, dinner, tv, sleep.

repeat.

For 202 more work days.

Although I enjoy trying new things, in my daily life I am a creature of habit. I like rituals and routines. Then, when all the structure is complete, there is time for that "other" thing.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
That trip is booked for 4th of April, might miss it... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.42a18b868425
4 more trips planned before that, Last week was Asia, last weekend SF. This week... feeding the woodstove and freezing!

How about "Finish your taxes"
Not EZ... 47 pages, lots of scenarios to test. Won't be done in next 7 days.
Whew.....I think your challenge may be to stay put for a while. Seriously, you got an A+ on this assignment.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:12 PM

The game isn't over till the clock says zero.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I've booked to go on my Spring break to a Natnal park for a week. Got to use our free pass.

I've been meaning to go get my National Park Pass for months. I hear they are raising the Senior rates starting in June. Giving you a :

Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Well I'm still in the rat race but am nonetheless open for a new and challenging challenge so count me in.

I'm going to try something new and go to bed 10 minutes earlier than normal. Wish me the best.

Okay so did you? Inquiring minds want to know.......

Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Stealth Rabbit, you make me dizzy! Where does all that energy and go get 'em come from? You make me feel elderly!----Oh, I am! Kinda. Don't tell anybody.

Mollyblythe.....I don't know anyone who is getting younger. We're all in the same club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement