U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:17 PM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Since I retired over a year ago, I feel sharper mentally. I'm 67.

About 15 years ago I had a colleague, who developed early onset dementia in his late 40s. I believe he died in less than a year.
I feel better mentally in a lot of ways since I retired (although I work part-time now), and I think it's simply a matter of finally being able to get enough sleep. When you have a long commute and are expected to work long hours plus be available by email all the time, you go into a sort of sleep deficit. I think I handled the sleep deficit better in my younger decades, but most of the responsibility at work ramped up in my 50s as I landed in a position of higher responsibility at the end of my career involving a couple of intense projects. Five to six hours of sleep a night for five days in a row was taking its toll. I definitely notice a difference in my mental acuity due to getting the proper amount of sleep with on all but two days being able to sleep until I awaken naturally with no alarm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 02:13 PM

588 posts, read 344,756 times
Not to be left out...menopause can be a biotch for some women. I got the brain fog something terrible for a time. It comes and goes as the hormones go up then crash again. I am on the lowest dose of estrogen possible. I truly think this is the only thing that has kept me from jumping off a cliff.

Even with the estrogen I still have night sweats and do not get a healthy sleep. That will affect anyone's mental acuity big time.

On the other hand, I did 1 1/2 miles on the tread mill today, twenty minutes of free weights and ten of stretching. I can still touch my toes but barely LOL!

I lost my wedding ring in my apartment somewhere while in one of my brain fogs. That was six months ago. I am still looking for the dang thing. I know I hid it very very well. It will show itself but in the meantime it forced me to organize EVERYTHING looking for it. You would be proud of me!

Found a lot of stuff I forget I even had.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:42 PM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
I find that as you get older you have to have a fighting spirit. Not give in to too many excuses. I was off not walking for a few days because I was doing my garden, when I started back again after a few days off, I found it slightly harder. Same with playing badmington. Only one day off in between classes and I'm not able to swing the racquet as good as I could have. Everything is going to be like that. My memory is not as sharp but it's still better than most people. Menopause didn't cause me any serious problem comparing to my sister. I don't have night sweat, day sweat or anything. All I had was insomnia which I did before I had menopause. I found out my body clock is actually later riser. But I learn to adjust and move on with life.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-09-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 02:49 PM

11,164 posts, read 20,470,249 times
My dad is 66 and his dementia started being noticeable about 5 or 6 years ago. Three years ago my mom had to retire early and stay home with him. This year he had to move to a memory care facility because he became aggressive toward my mother. He was in the hospital in October and they estimated that he only had a few weeks to live, but he's doing better in the facility than he was at home, as far as getting enough to eat and drink regularly and being kept clean.

My dad didn't drink or use drugs. He had a history of mental illness (gone now, apparently) and he's a type 2 diabetic.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:09 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
I have a 63 year old friend who has suddenly started to have significant injurious falls - has fallen down 4 times in 8 months.

He also has memory problems and his judgment has become poor in certain areas.

He also had a serious car accident about 4 months ago.

He cannot sleep for more than 5 hours at a time.

I'm not sure what is in store for him as he grows older.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:14 PM

Diabetic is what people have to watch out for. I'm eating as if I have diabetes to avoid getting it. From what I've read there is a link between diabetes and dementia or Alzheimer's, who knows if that's accurate. I rather error on the conservative side.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
I think supposed symptoms and problems during menopause are trumped up beyond belief. If many women had never read nor heard about supposed problems which might occur during menopause, they would not encounter the problems and would fly through menopause without problems to speak of.

it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you think you'll have problems during menopause, you'll be looking for them and become more likely to say that you have them or to interpret more things in the framework of menopause expectations.

This is my opinion and I've read a lot about the topic. I had zero problems during menopause. And I did not expect to have any problems connected with menopause.

Also, hormone replacement therapy is forced upon too many women. It is not necessary for a majority and has definitive risks. Also 'sweats' are trumped up beyond belief. Yes, they might occur, but certainly are not a dramatically significant life occurrence. And hormone replacement therapy is often suggested to women for solely having 'sweats'!

I know some people will disagree with me.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 PM

I happen to agree with you. I don't take hormone replacement therapy either. But a friend to me to eat more yams and that's what I did. Not sure if it had any effect but it's food, veg, and I like yam. I try anything as long as they are not hurting me. At least not yam.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:41 PM

4,312 posts, read 1,284,045 times
I never had any brain fog. Or maybe it's my natural state so I don't notice.

But honestly, I have not noticed any problems with memory. I am still working part-time, and my job requires memory and concentration so I would notice. And my hobby also requires memory.

However, people my age often seem to be in a fog. I think maybe it's because such a large percentage of us are on statin drugs.

Cognitive problems are a well-known side effect of statins, for some people. Maybe if you take them long enough it adds up.

Memory and cognitive problems are NOT a normal result of aging. Of course we are told that by the "experts." At the same time that they tell us to work longer because we are living longer healthier lives.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 PM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think supposed symptoms and problems during menopause are trumped up beyond belief. If many women had never read nor heard about supposed problems which might occur during menopause, they would not encounter the problems and would fly through menopause without problems to speak of.

it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you think you'll have problems during menopause, you'll be looking for them and become more likely to say that you have them or to interpret more things in the framework of menopause expectations.

This is my opinion and I've read a lot about the topic. I had zero problems during menopause. And I did not expect to have any problems connected with menopause.

Also, hormone replacement therapy is forced upon too many women. It is not necessary for a majority and has definitive risks. Also 'sweats' are trumped up beyond belief. Yes, they might occur, but certainly are not a dramatically significant life occurrence. And hormone replacement therapy is often suggested to women for solely having 'sweats'!

I know some people will disagree with me.
I didn't have any problems, either, nor did my mother or two of my sisters. But our youngest sister complained all the time about horrible hot flashes that I could not relate to. Some women do seem to experience worse symptoms than others.

There is a possible exception concerning my mother. She was nearly 41 when she gave birth to my youngest brother. Most of us were out of the house when my mother hit menopause, but he says he remembers it very well and that she was crazy and physically abusive to him during that time. I'm not 100% sure that his version of things is accurate, either. And he was a kid who you could be tempted to throw up against the wall.

Now he is 47 with a degenerative spine problem and she is 88 and they both live together in her house and seem to be getting along just fine, except she drives herself to dialysis because she doesn't like the way he yells at other people and gives them the finger while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or