U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,017,121 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a huge improvement in mental clarity since I've taking Omega 3's Fish Oil capsules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,924,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
John and I are trying to learn Tamil. I don't think it would have been any easier to learn in our 30's either. The only difference is that the memory isn't as sharp now. It's a tad harder but not impossible. It just depends on how lazy we are. The Tamil alphabet has around 240 letters. Yikes.

I know someone who is losing it and I watched her slip away in her middle 60's. She's also very sick from Hep C, diabetes, and cardiac issues. She's convinced that people are breaking into her house and chipping her foundation. It's sad.
That's great. Tamil is a language I would never think of learning. Are you going to travel in that area and use it?

Old 03-10-2017, 11:46 AM

3,688 posts, read 1,867,595 times
I think if I could get a decent night's sleep I might be sharp as a tack.

I predict I'll be a much happier, healthier person when I retire and no longer have to get up at 5am.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:59 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,135,648 times
One thing I've found is I think better ever since I cut way back on alcohol. Because I married a teetotaler a couple decades ago, slowly but surely I've nearly become one myself. YMMV.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:44 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,542,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
I know LOTS of people in who are losing their mental abilities in their 50s and 60s. The David Cassidy story of how someone only 66 years old can being fighting Dementia really hit home.

I am only 62 and I am not nearly as sharp as I was just a few years ago. Many people I know are showing signs of dementia at an early age.

The experts though tell everyone to keep working until they are 70 and wait until then to collect Social Security.

Some of us may be living longer but are we in great shape mentally?
Many "oldsters" are very sharp. Warren Buffett is 86, and he is still (fortunately for us) in great shape mentally.

No one in my family (even in their late 70's to late 80's) have had any mental decline unless they (one person) had a stroke).

Mental stimulation like word games will help keep you sharp. Plus, you learn a lot of new words and even the meanings of new word roots to use in the future to guess at a another word.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:51 PM

1,158 posts, read 648,842 times
I was never a fast learner, but once I learned something it seemed burned into my brain. I can keep track of lots and lots of things at a time, but I've noticed anything new is frustrating to me and harder to learn. When I attempt to multi-task or do something like organize a big stack of random papers into their original order, I get confused. I need to tackle one thing at a time now. So I work harder and harder to do less and less. This has all occurred in my 60's and now that I am just a couple years from 70 it is worse.

I have noticed that a huge amount of mental work will just weary me and even the next day I can feel the effects of it, being tired upon rising and not thinking too clearly. I guess it's not much different than muscles being sore the next day after using them a lot.

DH is a bit worse than I am. He is a year ahead of me. He relies on me to remember things for him and remind him, etc. I am a bit worried about him.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 PM

1,813 posts, read 1,137,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
That's only true for SOME people.

The rest of us have cognitive impairments that are physiological in nature. Mine started in my 30s, but I was starting from such a high point that it took a really long time for it to become a problem obvious enough that even *I* saw it.

I have a variety of cognitive impairments stemming from long-term fibromyalgia. For me, the cognitive issues are much much worse than the pain, and they come and go depending on how much I am in "remission". These include problems with word finding, word substitution, memory loss, occasional corner-of-the-eye hallucinations (when I'm in really bad shape I will "see" bugs zipping around, but I know there are no actual bugs even then). I can't make reasonable goals, I can't make decisions, and I have no sense of passing time. Lots of executive function losses.

This is age related in that as I age, the fibro gets harder to overcome. Hence - someone who was formerly at the top of the game as a software engineer now can't remember how to operate a cash register without a cheat sheet. I've had to give up my library card after forgetting a batch of books and running up $100+ in overdue fees. I'm getting a whitelist device so I can have a landline again - because when things are bad I'm easily taken advantage of.

It's happened. I recognize it and know it will happen again. Therefore I am taking steps now to make certain things habitual so that when I am non compos mentis protections THAT I AM WELL USED TO are already in place.
This sounds like a bunch of Taurum Excretum!

Just trying to make a little joke.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 PM

42 posts, read 40,201 times
notice I'm losing sharpness. Age 60, whatever the reason. Before noon, I'm pretty good, afternoon....single tasking only

Old 03-10-2017, 09:01 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's more or less what untreated syphilis does.

http://www.brainfacts.org/diseases-d...neurosyphilis/

We learned this in 8th grade "health" class, which was really sex ed.
yes, syphilis, I'm aware syphilis can go to the brain causing dementia, but the post used the phrase "STD's in the brain" not mentioning the culprit and word syphilis nor that syphilis is not now common nor rampant in the U.S. (nor often untreated), and that syphilis is not causing the high numbers of people with dementia in the U.S.

In other words, syphilis is not one of the main causes of the many cases of dementia in the U.S. today.
And the post saying "STD's in the brain" made it seem like all the other STD's other than syphilis may be causing dementia. And the other STD's do not routinely nor frequently cause dementia.

(I've noticed an inordinate fear and lack of information about STD's in this forum, and over worry and unnecessary fretting about possible STD's at The Villages in Florida, for example, and at homes for older people. And, if encountered antibiotics and medication are available; yes, herpes is often permanent)

Last edited by matisse12; 03-10-2017 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-10-2017, 09:14 PM

9,199 posts, read 8,293,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
I know LOTS of people in who are losing their mental abilities in their 50s and 60s. The David Cassidy story of how someone only 66 years old can being fighting Dementia really hit home.

?
David Cassidy has been battling drugs and alcohol for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or