U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:22 PM

381 posts, read 352,755 times

Advertisements

Yes...my husband who is now in adult daycare five days a week. He never smoked, rarely had alcohol, worked out every day, ran 3 miles every other day, worked Mensa puzzles, earned a masters in engineering, taught Sunday School, Boy Scout Leader, active, kind.....dementia still came. My sister died after 14 yrs of dementia. Her husband hired a retired teacher to work with her to encourage word skills, etc. A trainer was hired four days a week to work with exercising. Her dementia still continued. She loved to entertain and was a great artist. I do believe many of you who are posting do not understand dementia. Talk big...good luck. You do not have the control you think you do. I get very frustrated with people who think they can stop this disease. My husband started showing symptoms at age 62; my sister age 56.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 PM

13,236 posts, read 6,340,776 times
I read one family has early dementia or Alzeihmers gene. It was in the news. Everybody has it except one sibling, all early 50s.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:50 PM

13,236 posts, read 6,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Most likely. I have problem learning my piano notes. Maybe I should put more effort. I found out why my kid didn't like piano. She's inherited that gene from me.
I think reread the title of this thread and I don't think I know any. I read this thread too early before my coffee kicked in.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 PM

6,213 posts, read 2,871,412 times
My age zone...50's. and yes my mental activity has gone slowly down hill. No amount of practice saves me from at least 20xs a day saying..Where did I put (my glasses, that bill? That book?). It's sometimes laughable and other times I worry ..Is this me slowly dwindling away..Feeble mind?

My typing speed has suffered..My recall is clouded some days...

Being employed doesn't help..Stress tends to help the forgetfulness..Wish some of these companies could be forgetful and not bill me

Old 03-10-2017, 10:40 PM

25,999 posts, read 33,010,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
I know LOTS of people in who are losing their mental abilities in their 50s and 60s. The David Cassidy story of how someone only 66 years old can being fighting Dementia really hit home.

I am only 62 and I am not nearly as sharp as I was just a few years ago. Many people I know are showing signs of dementia at an early age.

The experts though tell everyone to keep working until they are 70 and wait until then to collect Social Security.

Some of us may be living longer but are we in great shape mentally?
I don't know anyone like that. Thank goodness. That's way too early to be losing your mind.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,006,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think supposed symptoms and problems during menopause are trumped up beyond belief. If many women had never read nor heard about supposed problems which might occur during menopause, they would not encounter the problems and would fly through menopause without problems to speak of.

it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you think you'll have problems during menopause, you'll be looking for them and become more likely to say that you have them or to interpret more things in the framework of menopause expectations.

This is my opinion and I've read a lot about the topic. I had zero problems during menopause. And I did not expect to have any problems connected with menopause.

Also, hormone replacement therapy is forced upon too many women. It is not necessary for a majority and has definitive risks. Also 'sweats' are trumped up beyond belief. Yes, they might occur, but certainly are not a dramatically significant life occurrence. And hormone replacement therapy is often suggested to women for solely having 'sweats'!

I know some people will disagree with me.
You'd better believe it.

So basically since YOU had no problem with menopause, that means NO ONE EVER has had problems with menopause.

So then equally reasonable would be to believe that since you have never broken a leg, NO ONE HAS EVER had a broken leg. It's all in their imaginations.

Join us here in the age of the fruit-bat. Time to give up the mythology of the past - among those mythologies being that there is no such thing as "cramps" and that no one ever has a problem going through menopause because all "female problems" are imaginary.

My god, my life turned around when ibuprofen became available over the counter. It put an end to the 10 days of hell that my periods were. And I can guaran-dog-tee you that it was not "all in my head". It was, instead, all in my abdomen.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:53 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,452,633 times
Cramps during your period have nothing to do with menopause. I never ever heard of any 'mythology' that cramps did not exist. Of course cramps exist and existed, and they could be very uncomfortable and unpleasant and painful.

I said that the effects of menopause are trumped up (and also highly exaggerated) beyond belief, not that a few people or some people do not have some effects.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-11-2017 at 12:04 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 03:21 AM

12,268 posts, read 12,511,970 times
I just spent an hour this week teaching an attorney how to do his job. I was wondering how such an idiot ever managed to graduate from law school. I'm 70 and he's maybe 10 years younger. It didn't occur to me that he may be dealing with dementia.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:58 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,313,328 times
Some of my amazing super senior friends/neighbors are also heavy and regular coffer drinkers... and have been all of their adult lives...

I don't drink coffee but a caffeinated beverage has always been a great boost mentally... the only problem is when I stop the migraines start...

I try to avoid caffeine and have noticed a difference doing so...

The neighbor across the street passed just before her 102 birthday... she was a book keeper most of her life and still doing her own taxes... sharp as could be and lived alone until she fell at age 101...

I live in an are with lots of people ages 85 to 104 and all are sharp... it is the physicality of getting around that does them in...

Old 12-12-2017, 03:27 PM

607 posts, read 274,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My father probably had the beginnings of dementia in his 50's. He covered it well and it became noticeable to the family about when he turned 60. He wasn't a drinker or a drug user and he lived a solid middle-class life. He was a runner and loved fishing and hunting too.

I physically resemble him and I will admit I worry about losing my marble a lot.
If you only have the one, losing it will really be a bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or