U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 PM

13,202 posts, read 6,313,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
No, it is not a right to retire pre-Medicare age but I can tell you that employers these days don't seem to have a problem with forcing you out of the ranks when you may least expect it during those critical older years. Sometimes 'retirement' at that point (or at least saying you are 'semi-retired') isn't really so much a choice but a necessity despite all the financial hassles that may bring then, and in the future. Been there .. done that .. got through it luckily but it wasn't easy when my HC was costing me alone well over $1k a month for a ONCE A YEAR visit to the doctor for a prescription renewal.

And when there are large layoffs in highly skilled jobs ... people with many years of experience, etc. .. there are many fewer jobs to be had at places like HD and Costco . who cannot accommodate every laid off older worker .. and many places who may employ older people in part time jobs don't offer health insurance.

The hope is that the country will end up more prosperous and therefore layoffs will be less massive in the next few years so those workers can keep their jobs. I am not on the left but I do have a lot of sympathy for those who are affected by layoffs in the later years of their careers. That makes me want to see that at least HC(overage) is affordable for every legal citizen and that HC(are) is actually of good quality and available and affordable for all legal citizens whether or not one has insurance.
I'm well aware of this problem. My sister have health issues, would love to have Medicare but not old enough and she got laid off multiple times since the Great Recession. What she did was milking the Cobra and ACA. She has contract jobs for a few months, but what comes with it is 18 months COBRA. She finally landed a permanent job, so even if she gets layoff again, she only has a few months to Medicare. But the American Health Act is not removing any of the ACA features, or existing conditions are still covered, as well as child under 26. The only difference is more tax credit vs subsidy. Yes poor American between 50-64 don't do as well but these people I would NOT think can afford to retire early either.
Just so you know, everybody, I mean everybody in my immediate circle has to stay working until 65 or 70. They are not considered poor, NOT according to CD, but they have to stay working for one reason or another. No free lunch.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-09-2017 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 04:50 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,401,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Read carefully, he is an Ex-CEO. I know there is a canned answer from the left. It's hard to reduce entitlement program. I know I would be mad too. But it's not a right to retire pre-Medicare age.
Last time I checked Home Depot and Costco both offer part time job with healthcare.
Geez- talk about mixing apples and oranges- you make it sound like you can just waltz into Costco and come out with a job- you can't.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:15 PM

13,202 posts, read 6,313,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Geez- talk about mixing apples and oranges- you make it sound like you can just waltz into Costco and come out with a job- you can't.
Have you tried at least or just complain here? Have you ty to apply to any job? It's not right to retire before 65. Everybody in my family got jobs after age 50, with my sister after age 62.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:58 AM

22,502 posts, read 11,587,556 times
I would actually like to go back to self employment at 60 (14 months) but I need to see what health insurance options are. Most likely work till 62, go on COBRA and then private insurance until 65.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:21 AM

71,501 posts, read 71,674,131 times
my cobra ran out so being i was not getting a subsidy anyway i just went to an insurance company directly and got a plan to cover me until i am medicare age later this year .

510 a month with a 4k deductible , just for me . it was a better plan than any aca plan .

Old 03-10-2017, 04:12 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
Quote:
Read carefully, he is an Ex-CEO. I know there is a canned answer from the left. It's hard to reduce entitlement program. I know I would be mad too. But it's not a right to retire pre-Medicare age.
Last time I checked Home Depot and Costco both offer part time job with healthcare.

Don't know about HD but Costco does have a 6 month waiting period.
Better than nothing but just clarifying.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:17 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
For most people who are still employed in a corporate job, the earliest realistic age to retire is 63.5

You can use Cobra to cover the 1.5 years prior to Medicare at 65.

Funny how all my conservative friends love Medicare for themselves and still hate the idea of universal healthcare for everyone else. Their excuse: "I earned it!"

I guess not everybody is bothered by cognitive dissonance.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:24 AM

71,501 posts, read 71,674,131 times
ny allows 36 months on cobra but that is only if the company writing the policy is a ny based company .

my insurer was but when they failed the new company wasn't so there went my 36 months on cobra .

cobra was a better policy at the same price . it had only a 2k deductible

Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
When we retired at the end of 2007 we left a work world that was becoming seriously disrupted. Within a year the concept of retirement in your late 50's early 60's became merged with being unemployed at the same age. By age 65 if you were laid off you were eligible for both SS and Medicare. Until then the line became blurred to folks you interacted with. Were you really retired or laid off and without work? For us it was clear we had pensions and employer provided health care. For many, many others they had neither. Having investments was a strange factor as we had as did others but we could see ours lasting long term and they couldn't. Others had nothing other than unemployment insurance and COBRA. We have evolved in some ways beyond that for many but not for others as noted in this forum.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:19 AM

150 posts, read 84,017 times
Quote:
The only difference is more tax credit vs subsidy.

Yeah, that's a pretty BIG difference. What good is a 'tax credit' if you can't afford to pay for the insurance for the year to begin with? It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or