U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 08:07 PM

1,187 posts, read 663,585 times

Advertisements

The proposed plan will wipe out or seriously decimate many retirement savings before the Medicare age is even reached.

There are many, many people who have worked all their lives but due to health, layoffs, company bankruptcies or other reasons beyond their control were forced out of the labor force before age 65.

The cuts to Medicaid will also greatly affect nursing home care. If Medicaid goes to state block payments, good luck having the entire skilled nursing care covered. Many states have filial responsibility payments on the law books and I would not be surprised if financially strapped legislatures go in that direction. Just wait until 40-60 year olds start getting bills for their parents' care when they run out of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 PM

30,087 posts, read 47,327,614 times
I predict big influx into states where there is better governance on state level with issues like insurance coverage for lower income workers--
Maybe like Minnisota --
Normally not state people would retire to but it had decent economy and more pro active state legislature

Don't recommend anyone come to TX which might have a strong economy but a legislature that wants to do only bare minimum for working poor and women...
So retired people w/o some serious money might find it difficult...cause their rates will go up

Old 03-14-2017, 01:56 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,158,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Just curious, how many people on here pay 14,600 dollars a year in premiums now? And I also noticed they used a 64 year old, which assumes that medicare will still be around for 65+. How many are prepared to bet 15k a year on that? And what is the cost at 70, 30k dollars? 50k at 85?

If nothing else, it should be interesting to watch how this plays out.
I don't pay it with my own money, but my employer pays about double that.

Medicare will be around.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:59 AM

4,194 posts, read 2,488,898 times
Nobody has the answers. And every individual will be different in their overall costs. Good thing is people wont have to buy insurance.. Good.. Saves billions..

Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 AM

13,903 posts, read 7,400,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Medicare will be around.
Medicare will be "around" but it's kind of inevitable that it will be "reformed". Unless you're paying really big supplemental premiums, there is no way Medicare will be able to cover expensive procedures. There is going to be enormous pushback against raising the 1.45% Medicare payroll tax and it will have to be more than doubled to sustain today's level of services.

Layer the massive Medicaid cuts that are being proposed on top of that. A senior limping along on sub-$20K in Social Security check and nothing else isn't going to receive expensive medical treatment and they're going to have a really tough time accessing long term care facilities if they need it.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,437,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
A complaint was not filed with the EEOC. If you want to settle or win a case it is much better to pursue damages using a "private" attorney. Especially since the defendant corp was a multi billion, trillion company.
In my humble opinion, if the plaintiffs were suing a mom and pop place they never would have been able to get the stellar counsel they did get. Problem was, the attorney saw this as a never ending suit and convinced the group except for two to try to settle.

I am no attorney but my opinion is to always settle. The fees to go to court will eat up all the gain in most of the cases I worked on.
Thanks for the explanation.

I've worked in several Fortune 50 corporations. Whenever it was time to significantly reduce expenses via a layoff, our HR department and our Legal department, including labor attorneys, went through an extensive statistical analysis to look for any evidence of disparate impact prior to actually implementing the layoff. The corporation's objective was to stay on the right side of the law -- and not even come close to the line.

When any such evidence was discovered, there was substantial discussion on what to do about it so as to stay legal. Sometimes this included changing the layoff criteria prior to implementation, and then re-running the analysis.

This doesn't mean that no individuals in protected classes were laid off. But it does mean that no rogue middle-manager could get away with doing something wrong such as targeting the older or women or protected racial minorities or veterans or LGBTQ or other individuals for layoff while attempting to retain younger white men.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Capitalism at it's finest.
Capitalism isn't involved. If it were, we would see the price of medical care go down. Once the costs of medical care go down, we would then see the price of health care insurance go down.

Quote:
Just curious, how many people on here pay 14,600 dollars a year in premiums now?
I do.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
The proposed plan will wipe out or seriously decimate many retirement savings before the Medicare age is even reached.
The system we had before Obamacare was broken beyond repair.

Obamacare itself is deeply flawed and broken beyond repair.

The replacement for Obamacare also will be broken and I suspect beyond repair.

All of the above focus on the misnamed "health insurance," which is more correctly called "method of financing healthcare services."

It doesn't address the underlying problem which is the cost of health care itself.

It is the cost of healthcare -- not the cost of healthcare insurance -- that is the culprit. I'm not aware of anything in the draft legislation that materially addresses either the costs of delivering healthcare services or the price of delivering healthcare services.

Quote:
The cuts to Medicaid will also greatly affect nursing home care. If Medicaid goes to state block payments, good luck having the entire skilled nursing care covered.
The talking heads who are hypothesizing all manner of catastrophe regarding block grants for medicaid are the the same talking heads who were wringing their hands regarding President Clinton's shift of welfare to block grants. They were 100% wrong then, and they are 100% wrong now.

Quote:
Many states have filial responsibility payments on the law books and I would not be surprised if financially strapped legislatures go in that direction. Just wait until 40-60 year olds start getting bills for their parents' care when they run out of money.
Who should pay for the care of the elderly?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The system we had before Obamacare was broken beyond repair.

Obamacare itself is deeply flawed and broken beyond repair.

The replacement for Obamacare also will be broken and I suspect beyond repair.

All of the above focus on the misnamed "health insurance," which is more correctly called "method of financing healthcare services."

It doesn't address the underlying problem which is the cost of health care itself.

It is the cost of healthcare -- not the cost of healthcare insurance -- that is the culprit. I'm not aware of anything in the draft legislation that materially addresses either the costs of delivering healthcare services or the price of delivering healthcare services.
Completely agreed.

Even basic, routine care for minor illness and injury can run into the hundreds or even thousands of dollars. An office visit, test when I had pneumonia, and a ten day supply of a common antibiotic was $1,200. That's going to be hard to meet for most common people. A lengthier illness, perhaps not too severe but still requiring several doctor visit, maybe a stronger medicine, are completely unaffordable.

"Medical insurance" is simply prepaying a portion of health care costs.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:25 AM

4,064 posts, read 2,572,689 times
Single payer. Funded by taxes. We have a perfectly good, progressive tax system, so use it. Everyone gets basic care, a la Medicare. If you want more, get a supplemental, private policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or