U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 PM

3,717 posts, read 2,202,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
@WouldLoveto, I put in a low amount like $30k and coverca didn't even show any subsidy. So I got frustrated and left the exchange. So it was not the income level, something wrong with the software but she couldn't wait any longer, she just went out of the exchange. I think if I put in the real amount, she might net some small amount, not much.
What happened to me the first time I tried to talk to our state exchange people was that the lady put in my income of 40K and then put me in as a dependent with the same income!!! So it showed a household income of 80k.

I'd ask her what the max was, she'd say 42K and I'd say ok if I make 40K how can there be no subsidy? And she had no answer. Seriously. She just keep saying "I don't know".

At that time, we were allowed to keep our current plans for one more year so I did that. 3 weeks later the site traffic finally died down enough so that I could log in and see what happened and that's when I found her error. I'm still amazed she was too dumb to see it - it was right there on the first page as a summary. Me the insured, me the dependent and the total household income of 80K.

I also found out that she did not input my business expenses correctly but the simple fact that my household income showed up at 80K should have been a major clue to her.

I could not afford the insurance at all without the subsidy - it's over 18% of my GROSS income. I already work over 40 hours a week plus my own business.

I considered leaving my lowest paying job but the insurance wouldn't be free, just less per month. All in all though I'd lose probably 4-5K/yr gross if I did that even with the premium savings. And then I'd have more time to pick up bookkeeping hours or build my business which would raise my income again, so I've stayed on because I love the people I work with.

It just stinks all around.

ps - I've found our state exchange people to be useless. All they can do is sign you up if you're lucky. They cannot answer any questions. The commercials make them sound like the best thing since sliced bread. All lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 07:00 PM

489 posts, read 326,752 times
Quote:
I think you made very biased comment.
Quote:
Remember these are online discussion, are you confused?

Perhaps YOU'RE the one that needs to remember that this is an online discussion... And with online discussions you're obviously going to be reading biased comments.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:47 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,351,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Perhaps YOU'RE the one that needs to remember that this is an online discussion... And with online discussions you're obviously going to be reading biased comments.
Maybe you should got back and read that post instead of making snarky comment that added zero new information. He said the Republican did this and that. What he said was biased and thatwas my comment to him. My comment was not that online discussion is not biased.

The other post you quoted was from another poster. Let's not combine the two together since it was not made from the same person. it's like mixing apples and oranges. She was confused it was news.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
What happened to me the first time I tried to talk to our state exchange people was that the lady put in my income of 40K and then put me in as a dependent with the same income!!! So it showed a household income of 80k.

I'd ask her what the max was, she'd say 42K and I'd say ok if I make 40K how can there be no subsidy? And she had no answer. Seriously. She just keep saying "I don't know".

At that time, we were allowed to keep our current plans for one more year so I did that. 3 weeks later the site traffic finally died down enough so that I could log in and see what happened and that's when I found her error. I'm still amazed she was too dumb to see it - it was right there on the first page as a summary. Me the insured, me the dependent and the total household income of 80K.

I also found out that she did not input my business expenses correctly but the simple fact that my household income showed up at 80K should have been a major clue to her.

I could not afford the insurance at all without the subsidy - it's over 18% of my GROSS income. I already work over 40 hours a week plus my own business.

I considered leaving my lowest paying job but the insurance wouldn't be free, just less per month. All in all though I'd lose probably 4-5K/yr gross if I did that even with the premium savings. And then I'd have more time to pick up bookkeeping hours or build my business which would raise my income again, so I've stayed on because I love the people I work with.

It just stinks all around.

ps - I've found our state exchange people to be useless. All they can do is sign you up if you're lucky. They cannot answer any questions. The commercials make them sound like the best thing since sliced bread. All lies.
No, I did it myself, I didn't put her as my dependent because she was on her own. Nobody helped me so it was not anyone's mistake. It was the software.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:52 PM

5,960 posts, read 2,902,204 times
Quote:
It's an advance by age, not income unlike subsidy like Obamacare. ACA was subsidy not tax credit. Learn the difference. WSJ had an article specifically on this recently.
You're wrong, ACA subsidy is a refundable tax credit.

Straight from the IRS here: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ium-tax-credit

The premium tax credit – also known as PTC – is a refundable credit that helps eligible individuals and families cover the premiums for their health insurance purchased through the Health Insurance Marketplace. To get this credit, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return.

From the Healthcare Exchange here: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/premium-tax-credit/

A tax credit you can use to lower your monthly insurance payment (called your “premium”) when you enroll in a plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Your tax credit is based on the income estimate and household information you put on your Marketplace application.
If your estimated income falls between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level for your household size, you qualify for a premium tax credit. You can use all, some, or none of your premium tax credit in advance to lower your monthly premium. If you use more advance payments of the tax credit than you qualify for based on your final yearly income, you must repay the difference when you file your federal income tax return. If you use less premium tax credit than you qualify for, you’ll get the difference as a refundable credit when you file your taxes. You can buy health insurance through other sources, but the only way to get a premium tax credit is through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

Quote:
Obamacare offers subsidy base on income. Tax credit from Ryan/Trumpcare base on age.
Yes, the plans have different qualifications to receive the tax credit. I have no idea where you came up with the idea that makes one a tax credit and the other not a tax credit. They are both reconciled with your fed income tax.

Also = Ryan plan is based on age and income.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 PM

3,717 posts, read 2,202,867 times
Quote:
No, I did it myself, I didn't put her as my dependent because she was on her own. Nobody helped me so it was not anyone's mistake. It was the software.
Well people write the software. Our states site is horrible and it hasn't changed at all since inception.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:17 PM

The subsidy I was referring to is lower deductibles and lower copayment for some low income marketplace enrollees under ACA.
This link provides a better explanation between the two health plans.
Tax Credits under the Affordable Care Act vs. the American Health Care Act: An Interactive Map | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,559,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Yeah, that's a pretty BIG difference. What good is a 'tax credit' if you can't afford to pay for the insurance for the year to begin with? It's ridiculous.
Exactly. And they don't support expanded Medicade either. My state was one which didn't expand Medicade. My check went up to high by a few dollars to get medicade (or any other federal/state aide) and I just hoped nothing bad happened. I currently have an ACA plan and it isn't over costly at 20 a month.

If people start suffering may all the bad karma lay on Trump and his gang's little heads. And in a few months will go on medicare. But I know a LOT of people who could lose big in the health department. As someone else said in this tread, what good are tax 'credits' when you don't owe any tax? Do they assume your hiding all that money under your pillow?

May all the bad karma Trump the orange and his little pack of vultures deserve come to them.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Exactly. And they don't support expanded Medicade either. My state was one which didn't expand Medicade. My check went up to high by a few dollars to get medicade (or any other federal/state aide) and I just hoped nothing bad happened. I currently have an ACA plan and it isn't over costly at 20 a month.

If people start suffering may all the bad karma lay on Trump and his gang's little heads. And in a few months will go on medicare. But I know a LOT of people who could lose big in the health department. As someone else said in this tread, what good are tax 'credits' when you don't owe any tax?Do they assume your hiding all that money under your pillow?

May all the bad karma Trump the orange and his little pack of vultures deserve come to them.
This link says you get tax credit regardless of income, that means zero income. You pay zero tax with zero income.

How will new GOP tax credits compare with health insurance premiums? | PBS NewsHour

From July Rovner: They are tax credits available to people who even dont owe any taxes

Old 03-10-2017, 10:40 PM

21,586 posts, read 14,377,430 times
Quote:
Ron Williams Former CEO of Aetna is on TV and said it's the right replacement plan to replace ACA. Good to hear.
That's one hell of a source.

I'll stick with AARP and The AMA who have publicly stated that it is a pile of dog crap. I can't believe people are saying good things about it, but we are a nation of poorly educated people, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or