Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times

Advertisements

We need universal health coverage, just like every other industrialized nation. My personal health insurance is secured as I am eligible to retire and stay on my employer plan until 65. So, this is not about me. I just don't think the cost of healthcare should send people into bankruptcy or the lack of it send them to an early death. Not in one of the wealthiest countries on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 11:45 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Not right to retire before 65 years old? Really? You the authority or something.

I've worked 42 years and plan to retire and draw SS in January 2018.

Too bad so sad you don't approve.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:28 PM

731 posts, read 767,780 times
All I know is a 26 year old is NOT a child. I think that having "children" eligible under their parents health care until they are 26 is ridiculous. Time to grown up and go to school or get a job like the rest of us!

Old 03-10-2017, 12:30 PM

863 posts, read 795,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Have you tried at least or just complain here? Have you ty to apply to any job? It's not right to retire before 65. Everybody in my family got jobs after age 50, with my sister after age 62.
I retired from the Military at 37, I will retire from my state job at 57, and YES, I EARNED that RIGHT. The really great thing is, if YOU don't like it, I DON't care. Oh, and I have healthcare for life, which again, I earned.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
All I know is a 26 year old is NOT a child. I think that having "children" eligible under their parents health care until they are 26 is ridiculous. Time to grown up and go to school or get a job like the rest of us!

I know many a graduate student who are burdened by hundreds of thousands of dollars of tuition debt who would go over the edge if their parents did not cover them.

Walk a mile in other people's shoes.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:04 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Not right to retire before 65 years old? Really? You the authority or something.

I've worked 42 years and plan to retire and draw SS in January 201It's not right to retire before 65.8.

Too bad so sad you don't approve.
I'm wondering if NewbieHere was writing fast and misspoke in her haste when she wrote "It's not right to retire before 65." Her previous comment was "But it's not a right to retire pre-Medicare age." And I agree with her previous comment. If you can qualify for disability, work a public or private sector job that allows you to retire before 65 and provides health insurance after retirement, save enough to pay for your own health insurance for a few years, or even manage to milk the ACA subsidies based on an artificially low income, then good for you. But it is not the responsibility of the taxpayer to fund your early retirement, we have enough people to subsidize as it is.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:34 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
Quote:
It's not right to retire before 65. Everybody in my family got jobs after age 50, with my sister after age 62.

Hmm,

It did not take me long to dig up this older post

Quote:
...... I retired at 55, now I am 57.
So it was right for you to retire early and not right for other people????

Old 03-10-2017, 02:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
How was she "supposed" to get it, but didn't get it?
Coverca didn't show the subsidy amount.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
whoa

Many do not have the "option" to do what YOU consider right for all.
  • Medical needs,
  • Family needs (Eldercare, spousal care, adult children or grandchildren who are disabled)
  • Work related injuries / difficult environments to endure at age 65
  • Careers that REQUIRE you to leave before age 65 (Military, Aviation, EMS...)
  • Safety

There are those who are financially able and who PLANNED / saved, hit a windfall, got an insurance payout from a spouse they had been caring for for 40 yrs... (Most DID NOT plan to have a potential $50k / yr HC expense ($25k of which is HC PREMIUMS... i.e. no benefit). $300/ month HC was available when I retired, soon to be axed by A(?)CA, immediately tripled, and only 4 yrs later is 7x my 'retirement' projection.

Then there are those (like me) who are just plumb worn out. (There are many of us 'non- conventional workers')
I had the equivalent of 99 yrs of 40 hr / week service before age 50.
Farm kid (Dairy Farm Boarding School) and worked 3 jobs at once since leaving home @ age 15 (as well as my own farm, night shift and weekend jobs + daily eldercare), and now looking at spousal care for the remainder of my life... I chose to retire pre-age 50, and am not sorry for that choice. (but I am now W/O HC for the first time in 40+ yrs, and when I need it most to care for an ill spouse)

BTW: all was fine UNTIL A(?)CA torpedoed "The Plan".

And sure, I know people in their 80's who 'Get J-O-B-S' It is not pretty for most, but a necessity for many.
That should not be the only route to HC. AND PT jobs with HC and decent wages and hrs to suit a retiree (necessitated to WORK) are a vapor... i.e. a dream to find one.

this is a good summary
http://www.city-data.com/forum/47461262-post236.html
You must not read my post about my sister. I know there are people who can't. When my mom was dying, I couldn't quit my job either to take care of her and so didn't my husband. We had to carry on working.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
StealthRabbit, thank you for posting this thoughtful response to NewbieHere. My response was going to be "Who died and made you God?"
I didn't play God, but HC didn't help a lot of people either. That's the situation right now that's why people elected Trump to do over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement