Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 05:50 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times

Advertisements

For whatever reasons, I keep thinking of this phrase while reading this thread !

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 05:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I suggest you read this page from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ium-tax-credit

Here is a quote from the IRS:
"The Basics. The premium tax credit is a refundable tax credit designed to help eligible individuals and families with low or moderate income afford health insurance purchased through the Health Insurance Marketplace, also known as the Exchange, beginning in 2014."
Obamacare offers subsidy base on income. Tax credit from Ryan/Trumpcare base on age.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:53 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I honestly doubt much will be done.

Democrats are going to oppose any changes, sensible or not, simply to spite the Republicans. People like Amash, Paul, and some libertarian and truly conservative politicians will oppose this bill from the right.

I'm in the "repeal and start over" camp, but if it ends up being these minor changes vs. nothing at all, I'll accept Ryan's plan and move on

"Simply to spite the Republicans"??? Trump could have won over the Democrats and been a hero nationwide by making the few small changes it would require to make the ACA really work for everybody -- changes Obama was prevented from doing, just because he was Barack Obama. Instead, Trump wants to reinvent the wheel and kick 22 million people off their health plans. Where's the sense in that?

Paul Ryan said with a straight face that the ACA has been "my nightmare for 25 years" (???) and that there was perfectly good access to medical attention before it was passed. He made my jaw drop by going on to explain that the country is full of emergency rooms that anyone can go into even if they don't have health coverage -- as if it were a good thing to wait until you're sick enough to need an ER, as if you wouldn't be billed into the next dimension for those services if you don't have a health plan. This is his healthcare overhaul advisor. I ask you.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
"Simply to spite the Republicans"??? Trump could have won over the Democrats and been a hero nationwide by making the few small changes it would require to make the ACA really work for everybody -- changes Obama was prevented from doing, just because he was Barack Obama. Instead, Trump wants to reinvent the wheel and kick 22 million people off their health plans. Where's the sense in that?

Paul Ryan said with a straight face that the ACA has been "my nightmare for 25 years" (???) and that there was perfectly good access to medical attention before it was passed. He made my jaw drop by going on to explain that the country is full of emergency rooms that anyone can go into even if they don't have health coverage -- as if it were a good thing to wait until you're sick enough to need an ER, as if you wouldn't be billed into the next dimension for those services if you don't have a health plan. This is his healthcare overhaul advisor. I ask you.
I think you made very biased comment. What we have is very ObamaLite. Ryan/Trumpcare keeps 3 important things of Obamacare, no denying of preexiting conditions, children under 26 will be covered, Medicaid is still supported until 2020. What more do you ask? The conservative branch of Republican wants complete repeal and no replace.

What people are complaining and don't quite understand in other countries like the U.K. for example, universial health care was offered when the baby boomers were still younger and working, now they are retiring, even the U.K. cannot support NHS, they are planning to tax boomer's wealth to pay for it.

Trump/Ryan care is slowly removing the burden from Obamacare to the taxpayers, the young tax payers. Otherwise they don't feel it's beneficial to them and they will not buy health insurance. Who is going to help spreading the risk? Trump is giving them incentives for buying healthcare.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:25 PM

588 posts, read 462,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think you made very biased comment. What we have is very ObamaLite. Ryan/Trumpcare keeps 3 important things of Obamacare, no denying of preexiting conditions, children under 26 will be covered, Medicaid is still supported until 2020. What more do you ask? The conservative branch of Republican wants complete repeal and no replace.

What people are complaining and don't quite understand in other countries like the U.K. for example, universial health care was offered when the baby boomers were still younger and working, now they are retiring, even the U.K. cannot support NHS, they are planning to tax boomer's wealth to pay for it.

Trump/Ryan care is slowly removing the burden from Obamacare to the taxpayers, the young tax payers. Otherwise they don't feel it's beneficial to them and they will not buy health insurance. Who is going to help spreading the risk? Trump is giving them incentives for buying healthcare.
Good Lord,

It is apparent that you do not nor anyone that you care for deeply to need or want healthcare.

I agree, there are things to some that they may not want. I may not want. Nor do I want a country without healthcare. I am ashamed that this is even a topic of discussion that is now a part of where I go for news.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:29 PM

367 posts, read 365,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my cobra ran out so being i was not getting a subsidy anyway i just went to an insurance company directly and got a plan to cover me until i am medicare age later this year .

510 a month with a 4k deductible , just for me . it was a better plan than any aca plan .
Where? Cause thats good compared to 12,000 deductibles in Obamacare.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Good Lord,

It is apparent that you do not nor anyone that you care for deeply to need or want healthcare.

I agree, there are things to some that they may not want. I may not want. Nor do I want a country without healthcare. I am ashamed that this is even a topic of discussion that is now a part of where I go for news.
Reread my posts on this thread again. My sister needs heathcare and that's why she's working. She has all kinds of heath issues. Kidney disease stage 2, prediabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, precancerous polyps, and she is working.
My 26 year old is buying her insurance on the individual market. Before you make those kinds of comments, read the whole thread.
You don't have to open this thread if you want to go for news. Remember these are online discussion, are you confused?

Old 03-10-2017, 06:41 PM

6,568 posts, read 4,960,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Maybe you should spend some time to learn more about the new law. It's called advanceable tax credit, you get the tax credit ahead, even if you don't owe any tax, you get some money back. It could go into an HSA.
It's ridiculous because you want to complain instead of trying to understand the bill. Guess what under Obamacare, my kid was supposed to get subsidy and she got none, now that is real RIDICULOUS, not fake one.
Hey, under Obamacare I was supposed to be able to keep my prior insurance and couldn't. Now that was real ridiculous too.

It was a much better plan than what I currently have, with a lower deductible for about $250/mo. The biggest difference was that I wasn't paying for some guys prostate exam or some dumb kids dental and vision. Or some random womans pregnancy.

You know what else? Mammograms have been covered in my state for years. Yet for my first one under my ACA plan, I was told it wasn't covered because my plan was on the exchange. I gave them my new insurance number and info when I made the appointment. In 2014 I was covered no matter where I went, insurance or not. In 2015 I was covered if I said I didn't have insurance, or had to find a place that would take my new wonderful forced down my throat oh so expensive insurance. That was also ridiculous.

You keep bringing up that your kid didn't get a subsidy. How much does she make that she can't? I don't know if the numbers are different across the country but out here the subsidy point was around 42K the first year.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:45 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
Well for 42 years I've carried the weight for workers without healthcare, people with entitlement mentalities that can sleep late, pop out babies and let ME pay for it.

I am retiring and claiming my share of the pie after 42 years. Money that I have had taken involuntarily out of my wages, that I earned. I'm just getting it back.

I have health care that I pay $400 a month for, not including all the co-payments ($100-150) here and there. Sometimes I think I'd be better off being a bum or on welfare. I would probably have better healthcare.

The American worker is tired. Tired of toting the burden for lazy social parasites.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 PM

@WouldLoveto, I put in a low amount like $30k and coverca didn't even show any subsidy. So I got frustrated and left the exchange. So it was not the income level, something wrong with the software but she couldn't wait any longer, she just went out of the exchange. I think if I put in the real amount, she might net some small amount, not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement