U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 4,456,526 times

Advertisements

My doc put me on a statin. Noticed that it affected my cycling abilities, so on my own, started cutting the pills in half. After about a year, he acquiesced and re-wrote the prescription for the half dose. My cholesterol is now in the normal range. I trust my doctor. We've had a good, working relationship for almost thirty years now.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,566,050 times
I always find it interesting when a doctor is in charge of your health, as in he did this to me or put me on some drug. As if your body is not yours, but your doctor's. I tend to think we are over-medicated, over-treated, and over-managed by doctors. There is very little personal responsibility for one's health anymore.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:05 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,280,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My doc put me on a statin. Noticed that it affected my cycling abilities, so on my own, started cutting the pills in half. After about a year, he acquiesced and re-wrote the prescription for the half dose. My cholesterol is now in the normal range. I trust my doctor. We've had a good, working relationship for almost thirty years now.

Why exactly does your doctor think you need a statin? Have you ever wondered, or tried to find out if you really need it?

The guidelines now say that 97% of Americans over age 66 should take statins Most Seniors Could Use Statins Under New Guidelines

Does that sound logical to you? 97%? Why?

I think it is logical to the drug companies -- they get to sell more statins, but they also get to sell more drugs for diabetes (for example), since statins increase the risk for diabetes.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:17 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Why exactly does your doctor think you need a statin? Have you ever wondered, or tried to find out if you really need it?

The guidelines now say that 97% of Americans over age 66 should take statins Most Seniors Could Use Statins Under New Guidelines

Does that sound logical to you? 97%? Why?

I think it is logical to the drug companies -- they get to sell more statins, but they also get to sell more drugs for diabetes (for example), since statins increase the risk for diabetes.

My bloodwork has shown I am borderline diabetic. The P.A. told me to stop taking my statin. It should be quite interesting to see what the bloodwork shows in July.

Aside from statins, regarding another drug I need, eyedrop Atropine. I only use one drop in just the right eye daily. The manufacturer has stopped producing this eyedrop. Have no idea why, it seems no one seems to know (probably a money thing). I have been able to get a small tube of Atropine ointment which I use a small amount in right eye at night-time.

So here is a medication that I need that I cannot get in drop form (which is how it is prescribed for me). The doctor knows I'm using an ointment.

How do these drug people stop producing a product that some of us need?? I'm sure it is a money thing. As I have mentioned before many times, I have glaucoma and need drops to keep pressure and some other issues under control. So what now??

Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 AM

611 posts, read 248,885 times
Good4Nothin, thanks for starting this thread. I also posted on your other cholesterol related thread. I am on the fence about the whole statin issue. Took them for some time with no issues, but now having issues and not sure whether to continue or not. Your post encouraged me to investigate the issue further. Still not sure what to do about the high cholesterol reading - 280, with decent ratio, but LDL still too high....and genetic, the whole family eats well, exercises, to no avail! Maybe take a half dose/every other day or just live with the high cholesterol and hope all is well??? Tough decision and sure I am not the only one.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:30 AM

2,642 posts, read 4,816,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Still not sure what to do about the high cholesterol reading - 280, with decent ratio, but LDL still too high....and genetic, the whole family eats well, exercises, to no avail! Maybe take a half dose/every other day or just live with the high cholesterol and hope all is well??? Tough decision and sure I am not the only one.
How about researching some supplements to lower cholesterol like Citrus Bergamot, Beta-Sitosterol and Amla?

Old 03-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Good4Nothin, thanks for starting this thread. I also posted on your other cholesterol related thread. I am on the fence about the whole statin issue. Took them for some time with no issues, but now having issues and not sure whether to continue or not. Your post encouraged me to investigate the issue further. Still not sure what to do about the high cholesterol reading - 280, with decent ratio, but LDL still too high....and genetic, the whole family eats well, exercises, to no avail! Maybe take a half dose/every other day or just live with the high cholesterol and hope all is well??? Tough decision and sure I am not the only one.
I am not trying to advise people, just want you to investigate, as I have been doing.

I had investigated statins years ago, because my mother was taking them. My mother was on blood pressure and statin drugs for many years, but had strokes anyway, and wound up with vascular dementia. And the statins made her extremely weak. After she had strokes and dementia anyway I asked her doctor if we could stop the statins and he said sure, it would make no difference. So we stopped her statins, and she got stronger and was able to walk again.

Around that time I read a lot about statins and that's how I found out they usually work by reducing inflammation, NOT by reducing cholesterol.

I also found out that the actual research is contradictory and controversial. Drug company research tends to come out very positive for statins. And that is what the mainstream medical news reports.

Now I started reading about statins again because I had a medical exam and the doctor said I need them, based on total cholesterol. I also have a friend whose doctor convinced her to take statins, and I have tried to convince her to investigate.

Some of the research shows that statins do not make you healthier and do not make you live longer. They have a small positive effect on preventing heart attacks and strokes. However what good is that if they make you die from something else?

I know that I don't want dementia (who does?). But I personally know what it's like because my mother had it. And statins increase the risk.

The terrible long-term effects of statins are not well known or understood. The drug companies fund most statin research, and of course they are not interested in long-term effects. They just want to make their money now, before people inevitably realize the truth and stop taking these drugs.

I keep learning more bad stuff. Today I found out the new guidelines say that 97% of Americans over age 66 need statins!!

Now, think about it, how could that be true? The drug companies will tell you it's because we are living longer thanks to their wonderful drugs, and now we get old enough to need statins. NOT TRUE.

Heart disease has always been extremely rare in every culture except our own. And people have always been getting old, without statins. Yes, average lifespan has increased, but that's because children are not dying from the things they used to die from. People who survived childhood, in other cultures, often got to be old. And they did not get cancer or dementia or heart disease.

Don't believe me -- investigate!

We are being told a bunch of lies. Yes they might believe their lies, but that doesn't make it true.

I don't think the drug companies are evil, they just have to make money. The probably think statins are terrific, because they don't want to think they are harming millions of Americans.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:53 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Statins have been around for a long time. Millions of people have taken them for decades. The side effects are well known and typically minimal. If you are interested in reading about them I suggest looking at a reputable source:
Statin side effects: Weigh the benefits and risks - Mayo Clinic

There are also reasons that statins are being recommended. Strokes and heart attacks wipe out many people and statins decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease.

If you are at risk and refuse to take statins, you need to accept the risks of cardiovascular disease. You may face strokes, blindness, stents, bypass surgery, aneurysms and death.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:11 PM

611 posts, read 248,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
How about researching some supplements to lower cholesterol like Citrus Bergamot, Beta-Sitosterol and Amla?
good suggestion! I have seen plant sterols in the drug store.....will look these up too! Thanks!

Old 03-10-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Statins have been around for a long time. Millions of people have taken them for decades. The side effects are well known and typically minimal. If you are interested in reading about them I suggest looking at a reputable source:
Statin side effects: Weigh the benefits and risks - Mayo Clinic

There are also reasons that statins are being recommended. Strokes and heart attacks wipe out many people and statins decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease.

If you are at risk and refuse to take statins, you need to accept the risks of cardiovascular disease. You may face strokes, blindness, stents, bypass surgery, aneurysms and death.
Yes statins have been around fro a long time -- and we now have epidemic levels of dementia and cancer!

No, I am not saying that proves statins cause dementia and cancer. But they might. And your statement that statins have been around a long time in no way proves they are safe.

We don't know. It's confusing and controversial, in spite of what you see in mainstream medical news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement