U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:36 PM

4,312 posts, read 1,282,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you are at risk and refuse to take statins, you need to accept the risks of cardiovascular disease. You may face strokes, blindness, stents, bypass surgery, aneurysms and death.
By "at risk" I assume you mean the small minority of people with genetic high cholesterol, who will get heart disease if they don't take statins.

For everyone else, just avoid the typical American lifestyle of junk food and no exercise.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 PM

4,480 posts, read 4,741,265 times
My mother takes Red Yeast Rice for her cholesterol. She feels it helps her.

I was offered a statin by my doctor and I said no. I lowered the bad carbs in my diet, even added some fat and 3 month later I had perfect readings. The lower carb really has an effect on the total reading but the triglycerides were amazingly low. No statins for me, watching my diet is better.

Yet, I do have a friend who eats well, exercises but due to horrible heredity her cholesterol is sky high and only meds help.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
My mother takes Red Yeast Rice for her cholesterol. I was offered a statin by my doctor and I said no. I lowered the bad carbs in my diet, even added some fat and 3 month later I had perfect readings. The lower carb really has an effect on the total reading but the triglycerides were amazingly low. No statins for me, watching my diet is better.
Agree, according to many things I read a low carb diet is much better than low fat.

But the most important thing is avoiding artificial junk food ingredients.

And ironically, most of the stuff in the health food section contains processed vegetable oils. So watch out for that.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:58 PM

4,480 posts, read 4,741,265 times
Good4Nothin, I understand what you are saying and appreciate the info. I don't read any of it as you giving advice.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:03 PM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
I was on statins for 10 years, then I began having a bad reaction to them.

Going off statins, they said I had a 50/50 chance the reaction would either go away or it might be permanent. Thankfully it went away.

No statins for me.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I was on statins for 10 years, then I began having a bad reaction to them.

Going off statins, they said I had a 50/50 chance the reaction would either go away or it might be permanent. Thankfully it went away.

No statins for me.
The drug companies don't research long term effects. Too bad for all the people who had permanent bad effects.

There also is no research, that I could find, about high HDL, which I have. I never had any kind of high cholesterol before, so maybe this was just a temporary reaction to something. No idea. I think I will go to a different doctor in about a month and get another test.

But it seems EXTREMELY unlikely that statins would do any good for someone like me with high HDL and low triglycerides.

And have you noticed how many people our age and older are getting cataract surgery? Could it be because so many of them have taken statins for decades?

Old 03-10-2017, 02:12 PM

25,318 posts, read 41,412,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
But it seems EXTREMELY unlikely that statins would do any good for someone like me with high HDL and low triglycerides.
You are not a medical doctor.

You may treat yourself anyway you wish.

But this is not the place for you to constantly repeat your possibly flawed medical opinions.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:17 PM

4,622 posts, read 4,462,694 times
[mod note] Any future threads about statin medicines and cholesterol levels will either deleted or moved to the Health & Wellness forum. Feel free to create a new thread there. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement