U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,894,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by giesela View Post
well i guess i'm mr rationals unhealthy recluse. It doesn't bother me personally, i like it. I travel some and do everything on myown. But i tend to let his and the world's pop psychology we must all be the same bs message make
me worry about myself. Idk why, i'm pretty happy on my own but i end up taking on other
peoples judgement. I have lots of problems with other people and their choices and feel like
i'm a good person comparatively so...screw it.

a.m.e.n.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 AM

3,712 posts, read 1,894,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you choose to live alone and you died,

how long would it take for somebody to notice?

I suppose it wouldn't matter....I'd be dead.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,377,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think someone mentioned earlier the "danger" of becoming a recluse, and now I read that single people "must get out of the house." I'm tempted to ask why. What's wrong with being a recluse? I'm serious. Is it true that we MUST socialize with others or... What? We go crazy? We're abnormal? It's unAmerican? I think anyone who is content with his or her own company is way ahead of the game. As you say, that way you won't fall victim to others who will use or abuse you in exchange for "not being alone," for one thing. The older I get, the more I find I can do quite happily without society; it's a lot less stressful. Now, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but (to quote another poster) "it is."
I am the one who mentioned the importance of getting out of the house. My own experience and observations of others is if you stay in all the time, every day, day after day, you may become depressed. If that happens, you are more likely to continue to stay indoors and thus continue the depression.

I am not saying you have to become a social butterfly. Just don't get stuck. Go for a walk, enjoy the sunshine, enjoy the birds. Go where there are people, or not.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:29 PM

7,845 posts, read 4,434,819 times
So it's just being outdoors that's important? I'm a recluse who walks at least 10k steps every day, so I guess I'm okay... That depression is more likely to be due to a Vitamin D deficiency from lack of sunlight than an unmet need to socialize with others...

Old 03-22-2017, 03:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 491,699 times
Love so many of these comments here. I love my solitude. I live with a woman and our two cats , but love my alone time!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:33 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,478,515 times
Quote:
I actually tried to research the psychological effects of social isolation (and didn't find much; maybe another potential thread topic?) !
here you go, there are tons more in addition to these:

The Impact of Social Isolation
https://socialwellness.wordpress.com...ial-isolation/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_isolation

https://www.psychologytoday.com/arti...ers-loneliness

Being Alone vs. Being Lonely: The Psychological Effects Of Social Isolation On The Human Species

What are the effects of isolation in the mind? | HowStuffWorks

I'm not saying I ascribe to the findings - I'm just presenting them.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:55 PM

13,362 posts, read 25,651,711 times
Great company is much better than no company available (although some of us still really need time of no company).

No company is far better than tepid or indifferent or lousy company.

The end.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:04 PM

7,986 posts, read 11,701,964 times
Quote:
If you're a believer in social engineering (not to sound like a crazy recluse or anything), the danger of folks thinking for themselves is greater in isolation. Note that in the dystopian novel "1984" -- or was it "Brave New World"? -- one of the principles was never letting anyone be alone with his or her own thoughts; distract them with screens on every wall (or now in every hand?) and always make sure they're in groups; better for "group think." But good point.
Oohh very good. That constant grind of that messages does seem very you must all be exactly alike

Old 03-22-2017, 05:09 PM

7,986 posts, read 11,701,964 times
Not to ascribe to Trumps idea of fake news however a lot of so called research is actually not. Or is based on really old studies, or is based on sample sizes so tiny as to be meaningless.
I honestly wouldn't believe a thing in those links unless I research where they got their data, how they got it, how the study was put together, extrapolated et. etc. etc.
I know I've never been included in a study but i'm pretty sure I would skew their numbers

Old 03-22-2017, 05:20 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,478,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Not to ascribe to Trumps idea of fake news however a lot of so called research is actually not. Or is based on really old studies, or is based on sample sizes so tiny as to be meaningless.
I honestly wouldn't believe a thing in those links unless I research where they got their data, how they got it, how the study was put together, extrapolated et. etc. etc.
I know I've never been included in a study but i'm pretty sure I would skew their numbers
Why debunk the findings and conclusions of studies before you've done what you suggest above?

I'm very aware of the parameters surrounding research methodologies and validity or non-validity of samples.

I haven't researched how the samples, measuring methods, research methodology, and conclusions in articles on this topic have been conducted - but neither have you.

I know one theory and one idea can perpetuate itself erroneously in popular literature, without evidence of how the data was arrived at. Other articles may be more scientifically conducted.

I'm not necessarily a proponent of the ideas in these articles. But I don't find a need to debunk them to fit with preconceived ideas or ideas I may hold. The findings and ideas may not apply to you or to me - but they may apply to other human beings.

If you don't happen to like the 5 articles I've listed, I can provide dozens more, and anyone interested can look at their research methodology.

I just presented them because Otterhere said he or she could not find much on the 'psychological effects of social isolation' and there are dozens upon dozens of articles on this topic, with many being scientifically conducted by social scientists.

As an aside, I'm against many types of conformity (and mindless conformity) and also social engineering and pressure to make people be the same.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-22-2017 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or