U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 AM

372 posts, read 450,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My wife went off to California for a week to attend a wedding "shower".

So I'm left alone with the dogs. Dogs, like me, are simple creatures, we get along just fine.

But it sure is quiet around here.

When you are left alone do you enjoy the solitude or do you really miss your spouse?
Yes and yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:17 AM

14,464 posts, read 7,964,397 times
I desperately crave some solitude. Last summer we spent a ridiculous amount of money for a hotel for John to go to Osh Kosh for a week for the air show because I just wanted to be alone. Yes I missed him, but the me time was just as seductive. I love those free days, but I had the crazy teenagers with me for a three night sleep over, so I wasn't totally alone. I don't like being alone in the house at night and sleeping alone. No smelly dogs in my bed! I think if John went back to work during the day, and I spent those few hours alone, it would be perfect. That's not going to happen. He's also a home body and rarely leaves the house. Would I want to live without him? No Way! I would like a little more me time, but I won't ask him to leave our home to have it, unless it's something he can enjoy like the air show. Talk about high maintenance. That week cost us a small fortune.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 AM

12,114 posts, read 5,194,220 times
Crazy as it may sound to some people, I love living alone. I'm not lonely at all. If I want company, I have friends and relatives. If I want to go out and do something I do. I love having the house to myself with my dog.
I don't get in anyone's way nor am I told what to do and when to do it. For me, it's perfect.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:53 AM

13,430 posts, read 6,422,494 times
Yes my husband misses me when I'm not there. He waits up until I come back from my night class to talk to me before he goes to bed. But I often jokes about it to my teacher that he is grateful to her for taking me away from him for 6 hours. He gets a break from me. Which sometime he does, because he can put on the music that I'm not too fond of.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM

7,122 posts, read 3,485,570 times
I enjoy being alone for a few days, but then I miss my dining partner. Normally we eat out most evenings, and there's nothing sadder than asking for a table for one. We do different things during the day often, and enjoy catching up with each other over a nice meal and some wine.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:05 AM

1,185 posts, read 767,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Crazy as it may sound to some people, I love living alone. I'm not lonely at all. If I want company, I have friends and relatives. If I want to go out and do something I do. I love having the house to myself with my dog.
I don't get in anyone's way nor am I told what to do and when to do it. For me, it's perfect.
same for me.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:20 AM

1,204 posts, read 672,739 times
I think one reason golf was invented for the reason it gives both genders time away from each other. I am kind of kidding but it sure serves the purpose.

I really enjoy my six hours (including lunch) alone to do what I want, whether that is having a lazy, relaxing day at home or something more active. Also, I enjoy my golfing days with my friends as a nice day out.

Even though DH is my best friend (for almost 50 years!), a little space is a healthy thing to us.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:20 AM

13,357 posts, read 25,630,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue
Sadly, I had to let my beloved dog pass over the rainbow bridge at the end of February. It is very quiet here now.
That is sad. But if you have a dog-shaped place in your life/heart, there will be another dog or dogs. Adopt a lonely senior or two. Your beloved dog will not mind if another dog finds a loving home with you.

Last edited by volosong; 03-10-2017 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: inserted missing close hypertag bracket in quote

Old 03-10-2017, 09:22 AM

88,146 posts, read 3,676,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Count me in as well. Can always visit a friend for a few hours or talk to them on the phone, but love living alone.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:14 AM

11,297 posts, read 8,480,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have lived alone since I was 23. I would like to know what it's like to miss someone's presence!

Came home from some surgery last month and the dogs were boarded for a week and I really missed them being here.
Yep. Dogs are a huge comfort for me. Except mine are now and don't hear as well. But they can still bark!

I have to monitor myself a bit. My mother was a recluse. I don't want to go down that road. I'm sure I could easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or