U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 05:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,978,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I enjoy being alone for a few days, but then I miss my dining partner. Normally we eat out most evenings, and there's nothing sadder than asking for a table for one. We do different things during the day often, and enjoy catching up with each other over a nice meal and some wine.
I have to disagree with you on this. I often go out to eat alone, and I entertain myself either by people watching or by reading some type of print item (magazine or newspaper).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 06:49 PM

10,333 posts, read 4,891,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I feel this way about having lived alone the majority of my life. My friend Barbara loves kids. She loves to be around them and take care of them. She used to take care of her niece's toddler and infant when her niece had to go back to work after they were born.

But she's never wanted any kids of her own because as she says, "When they belong to someone else, you always give 'em back." And she never wanted to keep them.

That's how I feel about people. I like them and like to be around them but at the end of the day, I'm happy to "give 'em back" and go home alone to the cat.

That's exactly how I feel Minervah! I will have lunch or dinner with my sister or a friend but I'm so thankful to come home alone (well except for my kitty).

Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 AM

4,857 posts, read 4,972,198 times
Seems like most of the people who commented in this thread enjoy being alone. That surprised me.

Perhaps if I was alone for a few months, I'd get used to it. But I'm also thinking that perhaps my wife and I get along well because neither of us is a control freak. She can do whatever she wants to do, and so can I.

Furthermore, we have a huge house with our own multiple spaces. For example, if her TV is too loud, I can go downstairs into my office and shut the door. If she is working on an art project, she can spread it out all over the living room floor. No harm.

If I want to restore a classic car in the garage, I have a vacant space waiting.

Perhaps there is a benefit to not downsizing.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:24 AM

2,223 posts, read 939,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My wife went off to California for a week to attend a wedding "shower".

So I'm left alone with the dogs. Dogs, like me, are simple creatures, we get along just fine.

But it sure is quiet around here.

I miss conversation and doing things with her. I find it tedious to cook just for myself. It also makes me think of what I would do if she dies first. I don't think I would like living alone. But I also don't think I would re-marry.

When you are left alone do you enjoy the solitude or do you really miss your spouse?
This is a great question. As a young man I dreamed of a cottage in the mountains of Idaho or Montana,far away from people and noise. Then life got in the way and I never did any of that. Now that I am older and retired I find I do enjoy a few hours of solitude once in a while,however I do miss the company of my wife and am always glad when she comes home after a day of shopping or whatever.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:42 AM

7,814 posts, read 4,404,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. I often go out to eat alone, and I entertain myself either by people watching or by reading some type of print item (magazine or newspaper).
I've gotten into this heated debate many times before, but I agree that there's no "point" in going out to eat in a restaurant by yourself. The whole purpose is to socialize over a meal (see how all the tables are set for two or more?) so, if you're eating alone, why not just get takeout, delivery, or - gasp - even cook at home? It's not that you're obliged to, but why wouldn't you want to?

I, too, feel awkward sitting there by myself in silence surrounded by couples and groups happily chatting and laughing away and prefer to consume my meal while sitting outdoors enjoying nature or enjoying my favorite TV show rather than alone in a crowd.

If I were having a conversation over dinner and some solitary person were "people-watching" us, I would be creeped out and annoyed.

I do virtually everything else alone with no hesitation, but - as I say - it just seems silly to me to sit at a table set for two or four and eat alone; just as silly as getting up at a wedding and waltzing by yourself because you lack a partner. Some things are just meant to be done by twos; if you're alone, there's no satisfaction or enjoyment in doing them, and -- to ME -- this is one of them.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM

4,857 posts, read 4,972,198 times
I also never go to a restaurant to eat alone unless it is just a pit stop to feed on my way to an event.

If you get take out, you can avoid paying for an over priced drink.

However, most of the time I eat at home. A lot of restaurant food is just re-heated sysco processed food laden with preservative chemicals.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 AM

7,814 posts, read 4,404,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I also never go to a restaurant to eat alone unless it is just a pit stop to feed on my way to an event.

If you get take out, you can avoid paying for an over priced drink.

However, most of the time I eat at home. A lot of restaurant food is just re-heated sysco processed food laden with preservative chemicals.
And avoid tipping, although I notice they now sneak that in when you pick up take-out at a restaurant. Agree that eating out is a huge rip-off and don't know how people can afford to do it as often as they do. The ONLY justification for me (and the only time I do it) is in order to socialize with friends, and then only rarely. We all have homes with kitchens... :P

Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,752,310 times
I know several people who will go and eat alone without even a blink. I don't have a problem going myself.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 AM

2,620 posts, read 1,371,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I am terrified of being alone. I know that there is a strong likelihood that I will outlive DH as he is eight years older and in declining health. We have no children or other immediate family, so when he's gone I will be truly on my own.

The idea of staying alone in my house frightens me. I know that the nights will be lonely and that I will jump out of my skin with every creak and rustle. I could always invest in a home security system to keep my anxiety under control, but nothing can replace the secure feeling of another warm body in bed next to me, and I know the holidays will be especially hard.
You hit a chord with me. I have a similar situation - I don't think I will like to be alone at night at all; and for that reason I will definitely get myself into some sort of communal living situation - condo or apartment, (and not on the ground floor) so that no one will know if I'm in there or not.

Probably no one wants to break in and violate an old lady, but they might want my possessions!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 AM

219 posts, read 132,458 times
I retired in 2009 from a 9 to 5 job. My wife still travels, one week on, one week off for her work. She owns the company so it is not like anyone is making her do it. Every week it is kind of fun having 'alone time' with the cats until about the second or third day. Then it gets lonely being out in a rural setting. When my wife is gone, I only eat one meal a day and snack the rest of the day. When my wife's at home we eat 3 squares (with actual vegetables). I try to imagine how I will control my weight when she finally retires full time because she is an awesome cook and baker. She get's most of the baking out of her system baking stuff for her employees when she is away.

I try to join groups where I have similar interests with the group but many of the meetings and events come up when she is at home and I feel a little guilty going to events without her. Plus, I am not much of a group person I have found out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or