U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:34 PM

6,316 posts, read 3,579,899 times

Advertisements

I've always been blessed with the ability to fall asleep quickly but I think my sleep is deeper and more satisfying now. The only time I don't sleep well is when I know I have to be rested for something the next day. How perverse is that? And that was frequent back in my working days.

But it's very nice that I can catch a quick nap any time I need to so I know that I have less anxiety about getting restful sleep. And it's pure heaven those days when I wake up and don't want to get up to realize I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 02:49 PM

7,928 posts, read 5,045,305 times
As a middle-aged man who's on the threshold of semi-involuntary retirement, these threads about sleeping, hobbies and amusements, indulgence in personal curiosity and general fulfillment vs. listless waiting for death, have hit me with particular candor and seriousness. I started my career very young, and rose quickly, to eventually plateau, stagnate and feel indolence and indifference. Many meetings were spent with me sitting at an office-table, pretending to pay attention, while in actuality posting and reading right here. The great dream was early retirement, not so much to escape the proverbial rat-race, but to sleep more, to indulge in the keen pleasure of chucking the alarm-clock against the wall permanently, of rolling over under the covers while giving the workaday world a gleeful middle-finger salute.

Instead the reality has been starkly different. If there's no office to which to hurry every morning, fumbling with the coffee-pot and forgetting to shave, grabbing by accident yesterday's dress-shirt and realizing only halfway through my morning commute that I'd forgotten important documents at home, then one feels rootless and adrift, stripped of purpose.

Sleep is precious when it's not easily obtained. I forget the Shakespeare play - was it The Tempest - where one of the characters comments along the lines of "no thing is greatly prized, that is too easily attained". And so it is with sleep. Sleep in which one can indulge on a whim, is not so greatly pleasurable. Indeed, what's pleasurable - in spending money, going on a trip, completing some project, biting into a piece of chocolate - is less the thing itself, than the anticipation, the desire for it when it's merely theoretical and far. But once on my trip, I'm rattled by the airport hassles and the cramped flight; once that chocolate hits my mouth, I worry about the excess calories and the sugar stuck in my teeth.

To all who can sleep soundly in their time - whether young children in their kindergarten nap, newlyweds in post-wedding relief, Millennials after a hard night's partying, older people in well-deserved retirement - I say congratulations, and enjoy it! But joy is not so easily grasped, if weighted down by self-recriminations, surprises of a nasty sort, the worries that there's nothing over which to worry. I hope with time that this neurosis can be overcome.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:50 PM

10,298 posts, read 4,871,936 times
I don't sleep well - haven't in years. When I first quit working it wasn't unusual for me to go to bed at 1 a.m. and stay in bed till noon. Now I'm usually yawning by 10 p.m. and in bed by 11 p.m. Some nights I fall asleep quickly and other nights it may take an hour. It's rare that I sleep through the night and I never, ever wake up refreshed. (I have fibromyalgia).

These days I wake up when the sun comes up whether I want to or not.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:39 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,036,093 times
I am well past retirement age but work for a seasonal hotel, During the warm weather season I work overnight and use sleeping pill. During the 5 month off season it gets very frustrating. I have to fight to stay awake while watching TV or being on my laptop. Once I get up and head to bed I am wide awake.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:43 AM

552 posts, read 640,580 times
I’ve been retired for 14 years and have a hard time falling asleep. I go to bed early usually around 7 or 8 PM and read till I get sleepy and then toss and turn and try to get comfortable from my aching shoulders, too many years of pulling heavy dough troughs 3000# in the bakery. I usually get up around 4 AM drink coffee and read the local newspaper on the computer. Log in to city data until it gets light and go for my usual 3-5 mile walk come home and make breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or