U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,606,987 times

Advertisements

Do you sleep better now that you are retired and don't have to get up early to go to work? Of the few retirees that I know personally, it's a mixed bag. Some complain that they are on meds for sleeping because they can't do it naturally anymore, and some say that sleep is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:42 AM

13,230 posts, read 6,335,450 times
I think in the beginning it was partly true, we got up around 5-6ish, but not true anymore, my husband and I, we sleep like a baby. The only day I can't sleep is the day I have my painting class, when I get back late, I'm wide awake. So I go to bed 2 hours later than my husband.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 AM

148 posts, read 73,635 times
I spoke to a recent retiree and he said he used to wake up in the middle of the night trying to solve some type of work issue, but now he says he still wakes up in the middle of the night but it's to use the bathroom.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:44 AM

11,090 posts, read 12,475,857 times
I sleep better now than I ever did while working. I typically get up around 7am because the dogs decided that's the time to go out.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 AM

6,405 posts, read 3,356,515 times
Both my husband and I sleep much better in retirement.
Our business was international so we got calls at all times of the night and had to sound wide awake to deal with clients in foreign countries. The stress of solving complex business problems would keep us awake with our thoughts rattling around trying to analyze and solve problems most nights.

Now we sleep like the dead except when our dog wakes us up with a dramatic loud alarm bark that sounds like ISIS might be marching down our driveway -- it's usually from the coyotes waking him up......

Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 AM

238 posts, read 154,100 times
Soon slipping into sleep, as though
Descending into the ocean deep.
by Marissa Faries

I'm at the top of my game after 8 hours sleep. While working and having to get up at 5:15 am, I rarely got it. It was just so difficult going to bed at 9:00. Now retired, I rarely get less. I do sleep very well unless I break my rules: no coffee, tea or chocolate after 5:00 pm, no computers in the late evening. Unless I have something on my mind, I can fall asleep within 5 minutes.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
Soon slipping into sleep, as though
Descending into the ocean deep.
by Marissa Faries

I'm at the top of my game after 8 hours sleep. While working and having to get up at 5:15 am, I rarely got it. It was just so difficult going to bed at 9:00. Now retired, I rarely get less. I do sleep very well unless I break my rules: no coffee, tea or chocolate after 5:00 pm, no computers in the late evening. Unless I have something on my mind, I can fall asleep within 5 minutes.
No question that my sleep pattern is much, much, much better in retirement. I had awful problems with sleep when I worked, depending upon the job, of course. I still have periods where I can only sleep for three or fours hours per night, and after the third night I use a tranq to help me sleep and after two nights I am back on track again. These happen at fairly long intervals, so they are not a problem.

I have gone back to the routine of going to bed early and getting up at 5 a.m. I love the early morning, and I live in a climate zone where winter (meaning lousy weather and chill) is quite short, and the rest of the year has lovely mornings. And I can adjust many of my personal activities in retirement to accommodate this habit.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:01 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Here's gonna be me on my first weekday if / when I ever retire.

No alarm. Roll out maybe prior to noon, maybe not.

I know this because times I don't set an alarm when I take a weekday vacation day, that's how it is.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:06 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Do you sleep better now that you are retired and don't have to get up early to go to work? Of the few retirees that I know personally, it's a mixed bag. Some complain that they are on meds for sleeping because they can't do it naturally anymore, and some say that sleep is not an issue.
I have too many animals and they wake up at weird hours.

When I go on vacation, I sleep like a log.

I figure in about ten years I will be pet free and sleep once again.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:13 PM
CII

71 posts, read 86,325 times
Medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or