Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think a balanced approach is best in this case. Told kids not to expect anything, but baring something really gone haywire, there should be a smalll amount left. I don't plan ahead how much I should leave them because I don't know. But I want them to be successful on their own. Had Bill Gayes relying on his $5 millioninheritance, he might not become a billionaire today.
The other way to look at it, is Bill Gates was willing and able to take the risk of dropping out of Harvard because he knew that he had a landing pad if things didn't work out. As I understand it, he came from a family of means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 AM

2,272 posts, read 1,666,238 times
I like the idea of gifting each year for a Roth IRA or perhaps a house down payment but be aware of issues.

Keep in mind if your heirs are married, the spouse can walk off with half of the money you have gifted depending on state divorce laws. For example, if you gift for a house down payment and a divorce occurs, the heir's spouse will get half the proceeds if the house is in both names. If gifted money has been commingled, it will not necessarily be solely your heir's money.

Same for retirement funds. With a divorce, sometimes funds must be split and shared even though they may be totally in your child's name with money you have gifted.

I have had friends and family members really burned with their child's ex-spouse walking off with half their gifted funds, particularly with house down payments (one within 4 months - spouse alone knew she was leaving and got quite a bonus payout).

I know we can't control everything, but be aware and talk with a lawyer in your state.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,356,826 times
My properties and bank accounts are in a revocable trust. Everything I have when I pass on will go to my two kids. I have no debt and no mortgage. I would like to set up a college fund in the event that there are grandchildren (but there are no grandchildren at this point).

I don't make my financial decisions based upon what will be left when I pass on, but I am frugal and live simply.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:24 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
My properties and bank accounts are in a revocable trust. Everything I have when I pass on will go to my two kids. I have no debt and no mortgage. I would like to set up a college fund in the event that there are grandchildren (but there are no grandchildren at this point).

I don't make my financial decisions based upon what will be left when I pass on, but I am frugal and live simply.
I think that is a very good idea.

My properties have been shifted to LLC ownership.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
It's hard to plan financially. The end of life is the most expensive, when you can no longer do things for yourself. A housekeeper, yard service, handyman, home health care and medical co-pays can cost thousands of dollars a year. It's always prudent to plan for extended disability as you age. In most areas you will be hard put to find a decent assisted living apartment for under $4,000/month, and prices are going up. A few years of that will put a big dent in your savings.

Only after you take care of yourself can you think about leaving an estate. You may enjoy excellent health until the day you die, or care expenses may eat all your assets and you die a pauper.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:54 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I hope all of you in inherited from your parents/relatives realize how fortunate you are. Many of us never inherited a single penny.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
It really depends on how much there is to inherit.

If I'm worth $100 million, my kids will "know" that we're wealthy. It's not something I can hide. In that scenario, I'd donate some to charity while also preparing my to manage whatever their going to be given by me. If I'm leaving behind a smaller amount, I would just avoid talking about inheritances.

Rich people that give their heirs $0, do so because their kids/grand-kids etc., are spoiled and irresponsible. Often however, the parents are absentee and either overly permissive or highly overbearing. They basically create monsters and then act shocked and upset that the kids they raised to be brats.....turned into brats.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I started planning for retirement when I was in my early 20's when SS raised the retirement age. I'm almost 58 and planning to work for another 3-4 years. One thing I haven't had to do is make catch up contributions to my 401k because I maxed my contributions in the early days and they've had decades to compound. I saved for retirement, my wife saved for the down payment on the house and we delayed starting a family until we felt we could do it right. That included paying for college so they could start their work lives free from student loans.

We have discussed the options for leaving something behind but came up with an idea we think is better. That is to gift the kids money each year for about 10 years each from the time they're in their early 20's to their early 30's and put it in a Roth IRA for each. That gives them a nice sum that will allow for a few decades of compounding. There should still be funds to leave behind but it seems getting the kids started on thinking about their own retirement planning as early as possible is the best legacy we can leave.
Excellent idea for those who can afford it.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:14 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
I'm in the trusts business and I see lots of different outcomes. All sorts of different ideas that people have had turn out in unexpected ways. If you want to be remembered for a modest sum, tell your "kid" that you want them to buy their dream car with a portion of the inheritance to remember you by. They will think of you every time they drive. I know someone who drives his truck for 20 years because of this...

Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I like the idea of gifting each year for a Roth IRA or perhaps a house down payment but be aware of issues.

Keep in mind if your heirs are married, the spouse can walk off with half of the money you have gifted depending on state divorce laws. ... be aware and talk with a lawyer in your state.
Our estate lawyer was very keen on avoiding the 'gold-digger / over aggressive spouse' of heir. Added a lot of clauses / distribution thresh-holds to the settlement of trust. No spouses of kids yet, none on the horizon, only a couple new farm / hunting 'grand-dogs' to care for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I think that is a very good idea.

My properties have been shifted to LLC ownership.
Yes, we have a few LLCs that our trust recognizes / qualifies as solely owned by the trustees. (us) Trust specifies each LLC, but is able to leave the value adjustable (for future changes in LLC holdings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Many of us never inherited a single penny.
and some of us inherited a lot of DEBT, as well as our wayward parents!

I told my kids... "Some people have wayward kids, some have wayward PARENTS!, and I don't want BOTH!"

so far, so good (Kids are good, parents... not so good) Often parents can be a real handful to control!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement