Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 05:38 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we had one . they do not cover much and the max limits are to low . they are good for routine stuff and an occasional root canal .

i needed many implants and years ago my wife capped all her teeth for cosmetic reasons . 15 years later bacteria got under the caps and destroys the canals so extensive root canal work is needed on so many teeth.

i have spent 50k on just myself the last 8 years as i rejected a few implants down the road .
did you pick up the implants off the road? someone is likely to get a flat tire from one of them if you hadn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 06:10 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we had one . they do not cover much and the max limits are to low . they are good for routine stuff and an occasional root canal .

i needed many implants and years ago my wife capped all her teeth for cosmetic reasons . 15 years later bacteria got under the caps and destroys the canals so extensive root canal work is needed on so many teeth.

i have spent 50k on just myself the last 8 years as i rejected a few implants down the road .
Yeah they are basic dental maintenance plans plus. I just had deep scaling and a bone graft and it covered 80% which was nice. Not a lot left under the cap I guess Not sure it is a retirement work benefit so it is a blessing

Old 03-11-2017, 07:58 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
Spouse and I are childfree.

We planned our retirement carefully - despite the fact there might be a substantial inheritance from his side of the family. Knowing my MIL she will need every penny of it as she exits the planet... So the planning - as it should be - was done without that money in mind.

At any rate, I have 6 siblings - some with kids, some chose not to have them or couldn't. Spouse has one sister who he does not communicate with. There is no love there.

I've often thought about setting up a trust for family survivors - who have health issues or are in need of medical attention. Or dividing the money amongst siblings and their kids to be used for medical costs because who knows what medical care will look like in 20+ years.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:04 AM

106,663 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Yeah they are basic dental maintenance plans plus. I just had deep scaling and a bone graft and it covered 80% which was nice. Not a lot left under the cap I guess Not sure it is a retirement work benefit so it is a blessing
our plan covered up to 1500 a year . out of the first 25k for the implants it covered 476 dollars for an extraction lol ......

basically i only have implants at this point and insurance covers zero .

Old 03-11-2017, 08:17 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I did not inherit anything from my parents and never expected to.
Nor did I. My sisters and I always told our parents, "You worked very hard for your money, enjoy it. If there's anything left over, fine, but don't worry that there has to be."

Old 03-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Didn't your lawyer tell you, you have to mention them even if it is to say, I am intentionally leaving my son, so and so, out of this will. or some such comment. Otherwise it is easier for the to contest the will.
In Texas this is not the case. I don't know if it is different in other states. The lawyer for my stepmom said to not do this. I thought the same as you and was told that was not so. Again, this was Texas.

Now I want to google this.. LOL.

Editing to add what I've read just glancing through some links.

You can disinherit someone just by not mentioning them. This does not include spouses and children. You CAN disinherit a child by stating that they receive nothing. Example: To my daughter Kim, I leave nothing.

She can try to contest but she will not win. Anyone can try to contest a will but the wishes of the deceased will be honored.

I'm still reading and haven't come across anything that references the spouse yet

Last edited by Robino1; 03-11-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I find it interesting that charitable giving isn't more frequently mentioned. Charitable giving is a large piece of our plan for our estate.
We provide a lot to charity as well.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:32 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I guess I am sick, but these two stories always made me feel content about the way people handled their estates.

Leona Helmsley...the nephew thought he was going to get rich when she died. She left most of it to charity and the dog. IIRC the nephew got a token and an "I always hated you for being a leech" mention from Leona--who was not a nice person to begin with.

Elderly woman in the town where I grew up. Husband had a HUGE invention and she was loaded when he died. Kids and grand kids leached off grandma at every turn. Couldn't wait for granny to keel over so they could get it all.

Turns out granny had been using pledged stock to borrow money from the bank to fund the kids/grandkids lifestyle. When she died, the stock and her huge house paid for the loans. Net estate? Zero.

I don't worry much about the kids getting my estate. Turned around, if I was broke/destitute, I would fall over dead if one of the kids came to my rescue.

I know they have it all figured out exactly what they "think" they are going to get when I die.

SURPRISE! As of this writing, they are not mentioned in the will.
Check with the laws in your state, in many if you want to leave them out, you have to put them in. And then specifically exclude them. Thinking that leaving out the names of those intended to be excluded will prevent them from inheriting is just giving them an opening. Those who are not mentioned in the will can contest it saying you forgot. You must specifically say "Son so-and-so is to receive nothing from your estate. Otherwise they might be unintended beneficiaries.

I used to work in a probate court and I would see this happening more times than I can remember.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:37 AM

106,663 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we had a refinance killed at the closing .

it was an inherited house and the will said to my child beth i leave my house and possessions .

well , the title company stopped the closing as it did not say "only child "

we had to pay the bank attorney ,co-op attorney and the title company for the day . we lost our rate which went higher and we had to get affidavits from relatives that stated she was an only child .

we then had to reschedule and pay everyone again

Old 03-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
I started planning for retirement when I was in my early 20's when SS raised the retirement age. I'm almost 58 and planning to work for another 3-4 years. One thing I haven't had to do is make catch up contributions to my 401k because I maxed my contributions in the early days and they've had decades to compound. I saved for retirement, my wife saved for the down payment on the house and we delayed starting a family until we felt we could do it right. That included paying for college so they could start their work lives free from student loans.

We have discussed the options for leaving something behind but came up with an idea we think is better. That is to gift the kids money each year for about 10 years each from the time they're in their early 20's to their early 30's and put it in a Roth IRA for each. That gives them a nice sum that will allow for a few decades of compounding. There should still be funds to leave behind but it seems getting the kids started on thinking about their own retirement planning as early as possible is the best legacy we can leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement