Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,065 times

Advertisements

Less stressful? Did the time fly by? I gave notice today for July 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:16 AM

241 posts, read 272,587 times
I also have a July 1 end date. Yesterday moved out of my office and into a little used conference room. My replacement starts tomorrow (3/2/17). It is a little surreal. (Run a medium sized corp IT shop)

It think it will be less stressful but will have to endure new guy wanting to make his way and probably have to take some criticism about my past decisions/directions. I get that but thinking it and living it will be two different things me thinks.

I think time will fly by.........................

Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
I also have a July 1 end date. Yesterday moved out of my office and into a little used conference room. My replacement starts tomorrow (3/2/17). It is a little surreal. (Run a medium sized corp IT shop)

It think it will be less stressful but will have to endure new guy wanting to make his way and probably have to take some criticism about my past decisions/directions. I get that but thinking it and living it will be two different things me thinks.

I think time will fly by.........................
Let's hope. I work at a high school.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:18 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
There was nothing particularly different about my last three months at work. Why would there be? I did give particular attention to assuring that files and records were in good order and up-to-date for my successor. That was a point of personal pride for me. I had inherited a real mess eight years previously and wanted to pass on just the opposite.

Time seemed to pass at its normal rate. Stress? Just the normal stress of doing a conscientious job - nothing different. I did have the immense good fortune of having an excellent supervisor at the time; I can see how things might have been different with a bad boss.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:21 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,955 times
I expect my last 3 months to be chaotic - even tho I have prepared my bosses for that moment.

I'm about 26 months until the end date - might go in 19 months on my 65th birthday... but that's all depending upon circumstances outside my control - i.e. if there are family needs that need to be attended to in another state.

When my boss left - and I wanted to succeed her - it was the same. Our boss over the department couldn't make a decision to save his life - drew it down to the last minute practically.

I don't want a repeat of that. It's stressful enough - and I believe in succession planning.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
I didn't give a hint of retiring until it was almost the day. My supervisor said,"When were you going to tell me?"

My reasoning was I didn't want to be treated any differently the last weeks in the job. People start to "eliminate" you in their minds when you give too much notice. You are a "lame duck" and really don't matter any more in the scheme of office politics. It's a way of closure for them, with many saying, "Well, you are leaving anyway."

I gave everyone just enough notice to plan the retirement luncheon. LOL

Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I'll know this fall!
I expect the actual work will just be more of the same. My attitude,well, I already feel like the end is soon! I know my co-workers are feeling my potential loss- I've been such a fixture on night shifts, working all over the hospital. I think mostly they didn't realize my actual age. Also, there have been a lot of changes overall, a lot of new (very young) staff and a real speeding up of most functions, and people aren't too good with change in general.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:09 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Got boring as the boss started transferring my duties to others in the last month. I did enjoy training the people who took my duties.

Aside from that the last year of my job was krap. I ended up retiring a year and a half earlier than I planned, because my nice job situation went south due to staff shifting.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Boring, frustrating and filled with anticipation of emancipation!

Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
I was tasked yesterday to write up SOPs for my replacement. So, I retire but have to "train" them. I was pissed.

I let my immediate supv know that I would retire in December. Haven't said anything to my upper level supervisors as they are notorious for treating departing employees like crap. He will get 23 days notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement