Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:11 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times

Advertisements

I remember being at a big work party about 5 years ago and they had a 50s rock n roll theme. They wanted people to sing along and dance but it fell flat. Why? No one related to that era. The young people were so bored, and I felt the same way. The 50s was too old fashioned.

People on this forum have lived through the 50s rock n roll, 60s folk era, British Invasion, Motown,70's rock, Disco, Dance, Punk, Hip Hop etc. I am turning 60 this year. I love Dance music. Still buy DJ compilations. Maybe it is because I was a teen during the disco era. Sometimes I listen to Top 40 and Hip Hop music just to keep current with the times. Further, I like listening to 1960s music because it reminds me of being a child.

What is your favorite album that you can listen to over and over and why?

For me, its definitely the "One" compilation album by the Beatles, who I consider to be the greatest band of all time. The 27 songs are familiar and the melodies and harmonies are infectious, I can sing along and it makes me feel good. Perfect CD for the car. The Beatles changed music and they changed with the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 09:28 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
This is an obscurity for most folks, but it has been in constant rotation for me since 1967 through all of the current formats from vinyl to streaming & always shows up on those "Best Rock Albums" critic lists: "Astral Weeks" - Van Morrison

The only other album is even more obscure: 1969's "Everybody's Talking" - Fred Neil A rerelease of a 1966 album that capitalized on the success of his song (sung by Harry Nillsson) from "Midnight Cowboy". I'm not trying to be deliberately obscure but most other albums come & go with time, not these two for me, ymmv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8g_j5y2OK4

Old 01-23-2018, 09:37 AM

587 posts, read 443,844 times
I have 3 that I have listened to from when they first came out until this day:
Fleetwood Mac Rumors
Eagles Hotel California
Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

I still remember being 13 years old and getting the double album of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for Christmas! I saw Elton John for the first time in 1975 at Dodger's Stadium. I had to send in a postcard to get the chance to buy tickets.

I saw the Eagles during the Hotel California tour in 1976. I still remember the feeling when they started playing the title song.

Fleetwood Mac played a small venue in 1976 not far from my home and that was my first time seeing them. My friends and I were so excited not to have to go to the Forum in LA for a big concert.

As a teen growing up in the late 70's in Southern California my friends and I worked at a fast food place and spent all of our money seeing the bands of the era.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
The music of the 50's, 60's and 70's is the greatest thus far, by far. Given the massive commercialization and overexposure by social media, the ridiculous number of "award shows" and lack of understanding or history of the past, it is no wonder that today's youth lack appreciation for superior artistry and inspiration.

For the past few decades music in general has been and continues to be utter crap, and it all started with rap and went downhill from there.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
I have 3 that I have listened to from when they first came out until this day:
Fleetwood Mac Rumors
Eagles Hotel California
Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

I still remember being 13 years old and getting the double album of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for Christmas!

As a teen growing up in the late 70's in Southern California my friends and I worked at a fast food place and spent all of our money seeing the bands of the era.
I wonder how many of today's youth have even heard those albums? Those are 3 examples of some of the best albums ever recorded.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I wonder how many of today's youth have even heard those albums? Those are 3 examples of some of the best albums ever recorded.
I think those who love music, have. When I was working, my student employees had the radio on all the time (rock station) and sang along often. They knew all the words to the golden oldies ! I was amazed. The really good rock music is CLASSICAL music, just as the hustle, has become yet another ballroom type dance, taught in studios.

Music is universal and the greatest thing. The Ancient Greeks believed that before there was anything else in the universe, there was music.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Pink Floyd "Echoes"
Frampton "Comes Alive!"
Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick" and "Aqualung"
Led Zeppellin "BBC Sessions"
"The Best of" Santana

Still, I often listen to Hits 1 on Sirius in the car, which plays such modern artists as Ed Sheeran, Shawn Mendes, Coldplay, Daya, Twenty-One Pilots, Halsey, Sam Smith, Imagine Dragons, and Camila Cabello.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:07 AM

587 posts, read 443,844 times
My daughters were raised on the classic rock my husband and I listened too. When my now 23 year old was about 4 she came skipping into the house singing "I'm in love with my car!" I asked her where she heard that song and she said dad and I were listening to Queen on my way to preschool!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
In no particular order:

Live Dead - Grateful Dead
Rumors - Fleetwood Mac
Beatles White Album
A Love Supreme - J. Coltrane
Pet Sounds- Beach Boys
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Beggar's Banquet or Let It Bleed - Stones
The Brandenburg Concertos - JS Bach

Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Mine are pretty simple...

Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station

Pink Floyd - Animals

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

The Cars - Candy O

Marshall Tucker Band - Where We All Belong

B 52's - Cosmic Thing

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement