U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,046,632 times

Advertisements

Maybe four hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 12:07 AM

16,438 posts, read 5,373,547 times
I've been retired from a high-stress job in a TV control room for nearly 10 years. At first I had recurring nightmares about work almost every night. In the dreams I was a full-time employee, we were about to go live on the air, and all sorts of awful things were happening. I was late to the control room, I couldn't find my headset, I wasn't prepared, and I was sweating bullets.

Later the dreams started to change. The situations were similar, but I now realized that I was just a part-timer (as I was in reality for the last two years of my career). I was aware all during the dream that I could retire any time I wanted, and I really didn't need the hassle any more. Then I would resolve to tell the boss that I was quitting.

Finally the dreams became me as a former employee just visiting the TV station and observing others doing the work. That's when I realized the stress had finally left me for good.

Great topic, mlb!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 03-12-2017 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-12-2017, 01:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,702 posts, read 40,093,605 times
10 seconds. (as the door closed behind me) 32 yrs in, and poof - GONE.

VERY intense and demanding career, cell phone / pager 24x7 $1,000 / minute responsibility for several production lines running in various worldwide locations.

Walked out the door and I was FREE!

Ironically, I still have lots of panic nightmares, but only about my truckdriving job during College. Mtns and snow much of the time and LONG, VERY long lonely nights, and VERY dangerous and high responsibility / time schedules (Mail, news, movies, frozen / produce (long before cell phones and internet).

nightmares...Blizzards, No brakes, Falling over a cliff, guard rails, tunnels, head-ons with drunk drivers (that was really bad @ night in a 3.2% age 18 states with military bases), train tracks, hijacking, "the Butcher" (DOT inspector (they wore WHITE coats!...)... guess it left an impression, tho was one of my favorite jobs. (very exciting at times!, very grateful to pull into terminal safely after 800 miles of hxll)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-12-2017 at 01:11 AM..

Old 03-12-2017, 07:50 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,683,626 times
I wouldn't classify my dreams about work as nightmares, they weren't scary as much as uncomfortable situations that slowly reached a crescendo. In the dreams I could clearly see where a problem was going to escalate but no one else around me seemed to realize it. It was slow motion torture with me trying to problem solve and getting nowhere. I woke up when the stress reached a peak and I couldn't take it anymore. DH told me I was usually talking in my sleep during those. I didn't have these dreams very often, but when I did, I felt like they lasted forever with no way out.

Those dreams stopped after I was no longer working, but I realized the stress was truly gone a year later. I routinely used a microwaveable heating pad for neck and shoulder pain and DH would massage the knots out of my trapezius area between my neck and shoulder almost weekly when I worked. I realized one day that I hadn't used the heating pad for over a year and hadn't asked for a massage a few months after retiring. The source of pain had disappeared and I've not had it since.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-12-2017 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 AM

359 posts, read 320,522 times
Took me one day to adjust to no longer having to set my alarm clock to 2:30 a.m., but another six months to rid my mind of work-related thoughts.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:01 AM
mlb mlb started this thread

3,207 posts, read 2,871,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I've been retired from a high-stress job in a TV control room for nearly 10 years. At first I had recurring nightmares about work almost every night. In the dreams I was a full-time employee, we were about to go live on the air, and all sorts of awful things were happening. I was late to the control room, I couldn't find my headset, I wasn't prepared, and I was sweating bullets.

Later the dreams started to change. The situations were similar, but I now realized that I was just a part-timer (as I was in reality for the last two years of my career). I was aware all during the dream that I could retire any time I wanted, and I really didn't need the hassle any more. Then I would resolve to tell the boss that I was quitting.

Finally the dreams became me as a former employee just visiting the TV station and observing others doing the work. That's when I realized the stress had finally left me for good.

Great topic, mlb!
Thanks!

I have a niece who worked in television news (producer) in the Bay Area and San Diego. Horrific work hours - I think she went in to work at 1:00AM and worked way more than 40 hours. But she was young and it was well before she started her family.

I can't imagine being in that line of work over a long period of time. It would kill me.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:10 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,988,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
The worst/best are the dreams/nightmares terrible when you are dreaming you are at work, fantastic when you wake up and realize you are retired!! Down side almost 2 years into retirement STILL getting those dreams, not as much as the 1st 6 months, perhaps once a month now.

Took me about 6 months of retirement to get out of the stress of work.
It takes awhile.

I've now been retired for 16 months. The other night I dreamed that the project was late, the technology had bugs, the review was tomorrow and sales were off.

I woke up startled.

But maybe it's just part of life. After I graduated college I kept having a dream that I had somehow forgotten to study for a required course and that it was going to prevent me from graduating.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:32 AM

5,826 posts, read 4,871,492 times
When working I used to occasionally have a couple different recurring nightmares. You know the ones...driving a road that gets steeper and steeper until your car falls...going to work and realizing you "forgot" to wear pants, etc. Surprisingly, after having had these on and off for 30 years, I haven't had one since I retired.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:12 PM

6,694 posts, read 3,780,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Can you elaborate?
I thought I was prepared well enough. I'm single.

When I retired, the work stress left. But my identity was wrapped up in what I did for a living. That identity was gone. Who was I, if not the expert litigation paralegal assigned to mega-size cases, and the go-to person? I found I didn't have as much in common with my friends, most of whom still worked. I would have to make new friends. So was sad realizing that and knowing that it takes years to build friendships. I get notices of job changes, promotions, work issues, from people. I'm not involved, anymore, and that makes me sad, in a way.

I then got worried about finances. How long would I live? What unexpected expenses might arise? Would my funds last? What if Medicare is cut? Or Social Security?

I wanted to move. Where should I move to? Would I be happy there? How do I know for sure what the cost of living will be there? Will I be able to find a house as cute as the house I've lived in for decades? (The answer to that one, I now know, is no.)

I have a lot of interests. Would these be enough to keep me passionate or happy about life, like I thought they would?

I want a part time job. Will I be able to find one, when I get settled? Will I be okay with a low level menial job? I think so...I hope so.

I think these are normal things that retirees go through.

OTOH, there are things I enjoy. But I'm also a worrier by nature. That's because in my life, if something could go wrong, it often did. And I have no one but myself to rely on to get through things. I am far more anxious and stressed since retiring than before. I hope next year will be better.

On the plus side, my dogs are happy I'm around more.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:57 PM

16,438 posts, read 5,373,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Thanks!

I have a niece who worked in television news (producer) in the Bay Area and San Diego. Horrific work hours - I think she went in to work at 1:00AM and worked way more than 40 hours. But she was young and it was well before she started her family.

I can't imagine being in that line of work over a long period of time. It would kill me.
TV station work hours are the worst. It's almost impossible to have any sort of normal family or social life, and the stress is awful, too. I wasn't a producer but worked in the control room as a technician (audio, graphics, camera, playback, etc.) I worked different crazy schedules for 26 years, and I have chronic insomnia to show for it.

That kind of lifestyle really messes with you. I still can't go to sleep or get up at "normal" hours. So maybe the stress hasn't completely left me after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or