U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:01 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,845,692 times

Advertisements

As one ages, "activity" transitions from a higher level of personal participation to a lower level of passive observation. At 35, one might still play a little football or baseball, but by 50, most are relegated to watching. By 65, those who go to the ball park and cheer, would be considered more "active" than those who only passively vegetate in front of the tube. By 85, those who go out into the yard and walk around their own garden, would be considered more "active" than those who merely watch the garden grow from their window. In this respect, "activity" is a relative term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 01:10 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,734,369 times
kevxu, thanks for the comments and trying to steer the conversation to the original topic. Unfortunately some people get bent and feel personally attacked by comments they do not agree with.

I am also sorry to read about your physical issues. Those might limit your physical activity but they do not need to have any effect on how you engage with life.

Perhaps it might help if I explained the origin of my thoughts. I am on the Hilo side of the Big Island, Hawaii. This area has relatively few tourists and by any standards the town is "dead" with the sidewalks rolled up by 5 pm. It is an area of unbelievable natural beauty with rainforests, beaches, ancient Hawaiian culture, and this side of the island even includes the active volcano and Volcano National Park. I am with my brother in law who talks about wanting to do things. That seems to mean trying to find a farmers market, tourist trap or some sort of performance to watch. My ideas are a lot different. I want to learn something about the Hawaiian culture. I am trying to learn some of the language. I want to see the rainforests, tidal pools, lava flow, and everything else that is different and special. Last night we went to listen to jazz by a bunch of mainlander white guys. I could do that anywhere.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:31 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
kevxu, thanks for the comments and trying to steer the conversation to the original topic. Unfortunately some people get bent and feel personally attacked by comments they do not agree with.

I am also sorry to read about your physical issues. Those might limit your physical activity but they do not need to have any effect on how you engage with life.

Perhaps it might help if I explained the origin of my thoughts. I am on the Hilo side of the Big Island, Hawaii. This area has relatively few tourists and by any standards the town is "dead" with the sidewalks rolled up by 5 pm. It is an area of unbelievable natural beauty with rainforests, beaches, ancient Hawaiian culture, and this side of the island even includes the active volcano and Volcano National Park. I am with my brother in law who talks about wanting to do things. That seems to mean trying to find a farmers market, tourist trap or some sort of performance to watch. My ideas are a lot different. I want to learn something about the Hawaiian culture. I am trying to learn some of the language. I want to see the rainforests, tidal pools, lava flow, and everything else that is different and special. Last night we went to listen to jazz by a bunch of mainlander white guys. I could do that anywhere.
hey - if by going to a farmers' market, won't he learn about local produce? Seeing the tourist traps will bring him in contact with the workers or performers there? Are they not local? Maybe he can talk to them and ask questions?

But I can see your point if all he wants to do is shop. Some of my relatives are at a tourist spot in texas and I would rather poke my eyes out than be there with them. One time is all it took. How can one have signs that say "buy local" when you are pulling things out of a box stamped Made in China - to place on your store shelves for sale?

I guess it means you didn't go to china to buy that doo-dad you really needed?

Old 03-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
hey - if by going to a farmers' market, won't he learn about local produce? Seeing the tourist traps will bring him in contact with the workers or performers there? Are they not local? Maybe he can talk to them and ask questions? ........................
The place to learn about local produce is across the street from where we are staying. There is a large carport that is being used to process produce for the local stores and probably for the farmer's market. It is fascinating to watch the processing, at least for me. The BIL just dislikes the activity and noise. He would rather mill around with the tourists at the market.

For tourist trap stuff, virtually all is made in China. The Hawaiians reflect a very primitive stone age culture. They were not very inventive or industrious. There are quite a few woodworkers and woodturners. The local Hilo museum features their work. I visited before it was open, talked with the craftsmen, and returned for the opening and workshops. BTW, none of the craftsmen are Hawaiian. They are all haoles; i.e., white guys. I was fascinated because I have a lathe and might do some work when I return home.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
The place to learn about local produce is across the street from where we are staying. There is a large carport that is being used to process produce for the local stores and probably for the farmer's market. It is fascinating to watch the processing, at least for me. The BIL just dislikes the activity and noise. He would rather mill around with the tourists at the market.

For tourist trap stuff, virtually all is made in China. The Hawaiians reflect a very primitive stone age culture. They were not very inventive or industrious. There are quite a few woodworkers and woodturners. The local Hilo museum features their work. I visited before it was open, talked with the craftsmen, and returned for the opening and workshops. BTW, none of the craftsmen are Hawaiian. They are all haoles; i.e., white guys. I was fascinated because I have a lathe and might do some work when I return home.
you know people that live in a temperate beautiful climate don't have to be inventive or industrious. LOl

Every day is going to be the same - food and shelter are easy to find. Its not like up north in cold climate. You have to bust your ass during the summer to stock up when you need to freeze for 5-6 months. So you have to be inventive and industrious. You have a few months to get ready for the big freeze.

There was or is a movie with Matthew Mcconaughey called Texas(?) that talks about this.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Oh and the movie was "Lone Star" - not Texas.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
you know people that live in a temperate beautiful climate don't have to be inventive or industrious. LOl

Every day is going to be the same - food and shelter are easy to find. Its not like up north in cold climate. You have to bust your ass during the summer to stock up when you need to freeze for 5-6 months. So you have to be inventive and industrious. You have a few months to get ready for the big freeze.

There was or is a movie with Matthew Mcconaughey called Texas(?) that talks about this.
I am sure you are correct about easy laid back living being more possible in a mild climate. Actually I was amazed at some of the places where the ancient Hawaiians lived. This included harsh areas such as the petroglyph areas at the southern end of Crater Road. It must have required a great deal of hard work to farm taro and live off a barren land. Living in a primitive stone aged culture was not especially easy.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:28 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,057,486 times
Being active to me means getting out of your house on your own volition, seeking and planning what interests you and following through. Not sign up and showing up for 55+ group exercise classes though it's better than nothing.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:08 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,156,088 times
Quote:
Actually I don't really care much what you do with your life. For all I care you can spend it playing cards, or even watching others play cards. Certainly there are a great many people whose major interest is watching pro athletes play sports. My point is much simpler. I think we should see the difference between doing something and watching someone else do something. For myself I try to pick pursuits that are more active than passive and that involving doing rather than watching. You may prefer less active endeavors.

While you've indicated your OP was intended to be thoughtful not judgemental, I do think several comments certainly come across as judgemental and, whether intended or not, there is a tone of disdain. We don't know what anyone else's life was before retirement or what their current limitations are. Maybe a person never had the opportunity to attend a live performance before ( be it the arts or sports), or perhaps the time for extended reading led to an interest in certain museums or restaurants. Maybe physical challenges limit their activity to what may seem to be passive when the act of simply leaving the house is an ordeal in itself.

"Doing" can be a lot of different things.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
While you've indicated your OP was intended to be thoughtful not judgemental, I do think several comments certainly come across as judgemental and, whether intended or not, there is a tone of disdain. ......
You are probably right. Unfortunately, I think about 1/3 of the people I have met fall into the category of fat, dumb and lazy. Fat because they have no will power to push back away from the table. Dumb because they don't care or make an effort to learn. And lazy because it explains and compliments the other two traits. I try not to make comments directly about such people but I do find it incredibly sad to see what I consider to be a waste of our opportunities.

BTW, none of those are related to physical limitations. I know people with little mobility who have written valuable books for paint or quilt or find other things they can do within their limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or