U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:36 PM

6,299 posts, read 4,746,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
And this ^ is what happens when you start a thread with gross generalizations about doers (good) and watchers (bad), particularly when your reading audience could be anywhere in age from 50 to 100 or more. I think it shows a lack of sensitivity.
You refuse to read what I wrote and instead you build your straw man arguments. I wrote about people who are interested in doing things versus watching others. I never said or implied one had to be physically strong and energetic. There are plenty of things people can do as they age and lose mobility.

Not once did I mention getting out and meeting with people. Someone else might have brought this up, not me.

Rather than have a lack of sensitivity to those with limited physical capability, I have great respect for the many people I know who are handicapped, have lost mobility, or suffer through chronic pain or worse and continue to lead a life that is often impressive. Look at Steven Hawkins as a prime example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,324,952 times
Do whatever makes YOU happy.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,315,479 times
Some posts have sounded "judgemental and somewhat smug" to me. Being a professional artist, and an active maker for most of my life, I know that people alluded to in the OP, as Active, would be "nowhere" without an audience, or a customer. Even scientific breakthroughs do not happen in a vacuum. There must be funding by an interested party, with a need or curiosity to push forward.

I have always enjoyed the doing more than the watching- but greatly appreciate the watchers. I am finding, in retirement, more time to be in the audience-- a great learning experience.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:24 AM

23,613 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Physical activity is pretty clear - you're either physically active (from light to intense degrees), or you are sedentary.

I think the "activity" question is like this - there are active and passive "things." Watching TV to me is passive. All you do is turn the TV on and information and content is delivered to you. You make no effort to "consume" the content. Active content is whether you are either physically doing something or have to "actively consume" the content.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:30 AM

676 posts, read 334,927 times
As for me ..... I get bored really easily and this hasn't changed with retirement. I don't like socializing or traveling unless it's by sailboat, then I absolutely adore it!

Museums and plays bore me (not judging just saying) as does eating out or any other activity that does not require physical exertion. But, I can sit and read for hours if it's interesting enough. I can spend a few hours on C-D if the subjects are interesting to me.

I stay active through sports, lots of pets (4 dogs, 4 cats, and 2 ducks), renovating, chores, and SAILING .... yay!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:16 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,266,434 times
Many among the retired populace were not prepared to stop working, others had that long desired element of free time in their sights long before leaving the workplace. Living life as a retired person rarely changes the individual with regard to their outlook on life in general. And knowing that makes for a greater understanding of us retirees with regard to how we spend our time. The working life is so often filled with a kind of mental dread accompanied by a lingering physical fatigue, making for a life devoid of real contentment and happiness. People have an opportunity in retirement to reinvent themselves, but not all choose to do so.

Do what makes you happy and the world becomes a happier place, living a life of comparison usually leads to some type of discontentedness, I get the OP's gist but I also realize the wide expanse of humanity we have to consider when advocating for any specific path to follow. We are all watchers--and doers, neither is an exclusive expenditure of time for most. I love to be active in photography, but I also love to wander the local galleries when others are displaying their photography.

As a side note, while we often look able bodied to others, we all know our physical limitations are real, and therefore our time will be spent doing things which we find to be physically agreeable. I'm pretty much focused on myself, and doing those things that bring me whatever happiness and contentment I can get out of them, I think retirement should include living without the need to compare ourselves.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM

238 posts, read 154,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am trying to spend way more time in what I "do" instead of what I "watch". Doing things allows us to learn, create, grow and accomplish. Passively watching can be enjoyable but involves none of those.

I have always had an urge to get up and "do". Teaching music was my career choice. Rarely could I sit at a desk, except for when doing paperwork or planning lessons. If I was teaching a class of 25, I was normally standing and circulating around the room. While teaching kids to sing, I was either in front of them coaching them on their music or playing the piano accompanying them. In addition to that, I needed to go to workout a few times a week. In later years, I began dancing once or twice a week.

Now in retirement, I still have that need to move. We bought ourselves new bicycles for Christmas and try to ride about a minimum of 4 miles a day to a max of 7. We even got our neighbors in on it and did a 15 mile ride a couple weeks ago on a bike path. Saturday night we went out dancing so that we get the heart rate up while listening to good music and having fun together. Last night we played pickle ball from 5:30-8:00. There may come a day when I will want to sit more but I hope not. I see men and women in there 80's running on the court and hope that will be me.

If I don't move, I find my body gets stiff, and then I'm less inclined to want to move. I read that exercise is so important to physical and mental health.

In the cold winter, I probably am inclined to watch tv more than in the summer. My husband likes watching games on tv so we often will watch together. But, if not for him, I would not sit and watch. I'll catch the news in the morning and evening and I have a couple favorite series that I enjoy but would rather be reading, shopping, cooking...or you name it....to sitting all day with the tv.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:19 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Oh for the love of Pete! Yet another accusative posting. Go back and read the OP, he gave his ideas and opinions, he did not condemn people who do otherwise to some retirement version of Hell.

The discussion started off fine until someone jumped and screamed "You're judging!!!" instead of participating in what had been a discussion. It seems lately that a lot of people on C-D sandpaper their psyches before they sit down to read.

You had a good posting going until you lobbed in the spitball. Your point that your activities are sedentary because you are "physically unable to do otherwise" rang a bell with me who has been rapidly losing the ability to walk. Decreasing ability to be physically active would probably ring a bell with many aging retirees, and what can be found in sedentary activities could have been a thoughtful, and even helpful, contribution to the thread.

But instead it ends in another bah-wah-wah accusation of "Witch! Witch!"
Oh so only one side of the coin is aloud here? I see. The OP's tone was at least somewhat accusatory that unless you were active there was something wrong and I for one was offended.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM

6,299 posts, read 4,746,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Oh so only one side of the coin is aloud here? I see. The OP's tone was at least somewhat accusatory that unless you were active there was something wrong and I for one was offended.

I am puzzled by this. I do not know you and certainly made no personal comments about you, regarding your level of activity or anything else. You have decided how to live your life and can change if you want to. Why would you be offended because I think spending time in active pursuits is important? It does indeed seem you are only willing to consider "one side of the coin". Again, perhaps I misunderstand. How do my preferences in living somehow offend you?

Old 03-13-2017, 02:17 PM

4,680 posts, read 3,253,088 times
Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or