Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:45 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I think for those retiring, or desiring to retire early, it's a combination of hating, or being just plain burnt out, on your job, feeling the age "creeping" on, seeing people you know die before those "perfectly planned" retirements, and just wanting to do things you never have time for because you're working all the time.

Ultimately, though, I believe having the financial means to do so, is obviously the ultimate determining factor.
Burnt out is a real thing.
And, not even 50 till Sept, but i have had allot of friends die before 50 and in 50's. my BIL, a lumberjack, old school from Oregon, passed at 43. Didnt drink, smoke, or do drugs.. Looked very healthy, heart burst at home. Thought it was gas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 05:56 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times
My decision to retire was easy. The US Gov't said that I couldn't work past 57.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:33 AM

554 posts, read 745,435 times
... Well, I can think of a couple of reasons for retiring, even though I'm well-past full retirement age.

1) I'm just-about the oldest person in the building in which I work. EVERYONE is younger than I am, and many are H1-B workers. We have what some folks call a "culture clash". Their "culture" and my culture don't mesh real well; their habits can be disquieting, especially when they're in an open-seating area with other employees. These days, that's enough of a reason for me to throw in th' towel.

2) Technologies have passed me by. So many new embellishments to what used to be standard, networking technology have come into play, that I've struggled to keep-up. After awhile, you begin to look at some of what's considered "new-and-different" and decide, "Yeah, I'm not buying into all the hoopla about this". I think that, when this starts happening, it's pretty-much time to plan your exit.

For the last 6 or so months, I've been relegated to a do-nothing job, except for those rare times when someone absolutely needs me to help them. And, too many times that 'need' has become "Oh, and I need you to carry this hundred-pound carton upstairs for me".

I'm "retired-in-place" for another 6 to 8 weeks. Then, I'll make it "official".

Old 04-11-2017, 11:19 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Well, I can think of a couple of reasons for retiring, even though I'm well-past full retirement age.

1) I'm just-about the oldest person in the building in which I work. EVERYONE is younger than I am, and many are H1-B workers. We have what some folks call a "culture clash". Their "culture" and my culture don't mesh real well; their habits can be disquieting, especially when they're in an open-seating area with other employees. These days, that's enough of a reason for me to throw in th' towel.

2) Technologies have passed me by. So many new embellishments to what used to be standard, networking technology have come into play, that I've struggled to keep-up. After awhile, you begin to look at some of what's considered "new-and-different" and decide, "Yeah, I'm not buying into all the hoopla about this". I think that, when this starts happening, it's pretty-much time to plan your exit.

For the last 6 or so months, I've been relegated to a do-nothing job, except for those rare times when someone absolutely needs me to help them. And, too many times that 'need' has become "Oh, and I need you to carry this hundred-pound carton upstairs for me".

I'm "retired-in-place" for another 6 to 8 weeks. Then, I'll make it "official".

I could have written this post...177 work days for me, otherwise the nuclear option of just walking out.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:44 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
At some point you need to be happy too. Whatever that is..

Old 04-11-2017, 01:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
My decision to retire was easy. The US Gov't said that I couldn't work past 57.
What type of job is this that forces retirement at 57?

just asking - some type of physical labor or physical work?

Last edited by matisse12; 04-11-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 02:43 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
This morning I began the training for our rather late medical records program. Very chaotic and I thought of how I already hope to retire in January and it's a shame to go through all this chaos- and I'm considered a computer-savvy person where I work (it's a very low bar to jump...). Had a difficult weekend with a dying patient and angry family and inadequate orders and no pharmacy available. I decided I am paid enough for what I do on the tougher nights and how glad I will be not to face it. Camaraderie at work be damned. I'm through.

It really is a matter of finances, which, in my situation, is a subjective matter. What is enough? If I truly couldn't retire, I wouldn't, so be it for another year or whatever. If I was really loaded with money, there'd b be no question. I am somewhere in between where "enough" is subjective.

Still aiming for January. I'll be 64 an eight months.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:46 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
My job got outsourced to India,

So was given a nice package, that put me into retirement.

The company had changed in the last 5 years or so when a new CEO came in. It was not the same company. So I was glad to get the package.

Last edited by flyonpa; 04-11-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 02:57 PM

696 posts, read 703,119 times
1. Job burnout - stressed to the max, affecting my health

2. Terminally ill mother and disabled father needing help

Old 04-11-2017, 03:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I learned to squeeze a penny 'til Lincoln hollered during the Recession and frugal living became a freeing lifestyle for me along the way. Also during long-term unemployment and under-employment I came to appreciate having a more balanced life where time trumps money.
Together those paved the way for my retiring as soon as I could, meaning age 62.
On top of that I was sick of doing certain types of jobs which were both soul-sucking and depressing. I'd wanted out for years. When I got a taste of life beyond doing that while unemployed, I just hit a wall where I could not go back to doing that 28+ year profession in health care. I'd seen enough people die and suffer to last me a lifetime. I wanted a whole new life, a whole new sense of self apart from all that.
When I weighed the income difference between age 62 and FRA, I said forget it. I'm done. I then planned last fall to retire at age 62 and expect my first SS in April.
That income gives me a padding to get along just fine if that is all I do or if I do some part-time or self-employment gigs on my own.
It gives me some security, peace of mind, time to grow and move in new ways, time with my DH and fur kids, and freedom from someone else's agendas. My time, just for me.
I don't have a pension or property, etc like a lot of you do and I never desired a lot of the material things, so that frees me up in many ways. I've got nothing to maintain. My DH is retired too, so we should do ok.
I drive a paid for Honda CRV that I've had 12 years and plan to keep it indefinitely. It's coming up on 300k miles and runs great. Got my scooter, vintage set of Callaway clubs, nice bicycle for the rail trail, guitar, fishing pole, hiking boots, crockpot, coffee maker and books, books, books. I am all set to enjoy!
We rent but I am thinking about a few acres of land and a tiny house or cabin kit house built on it.
I just want TIME to live each day as I desire and that is priceless to me. So that is what made me retire.
Good for you FeelinLow!
Life really is too short. My spouse is retirement age (65 right now) FRA for spouse will be 66. I, ,myself, have no pensions. Spouse will have one but it doesn't seem like a really good one. Once my spouse retires, I will no longer have health care. (my job does not offer it). I am only 55. So, I have no idea what will happen and I sure wish I could retire when my spouse does but that isn't going to happen. We have been through seeing many friends die already and most did not make retirement age.....it's really freaky.
I pray we get to retire with enough to live on and be able to move to a place we would rather be. We can plan, but who knows right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement