U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 AM

4,194 posts, read 2,487,763 times

Advertisements

I am not quite 50, but I have enough money to live on with my pension, health care is good forever etc. Not living at same standards, but enough to just chill and get out of the rat race. With one exception, daughters college, I dont see any reason to keep killing myself living to work..
So, what finally made you retire, and just start living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 AM

248 posts, read 183,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I am not quite 50, but I have enough money to live on with my pension, health care is good forever etc. Not living at same standards, but enough to just chill and get out of the rat race. With one exception, daughters college, I dont see any reason to keep killing myself living to work..
There's a site early-retirement. You'll see the average age there is 55 years old. I cut back to 1/2 time in 2008 and will go to 1/4 time this year. I think it comes down to you and being mentally able to let go of working. Do you have hobbies and activities enough to keep you busy? You could consult a few hours a week volunteer at SCORE. The bottom line is you can work until you drop, but you only get so many years in life. You saved and invested to get where you are, enjoy the time you have.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Quote:
I worked in health care and saw a lot of people who never made it to retirement. Didn't want that to be me.

I'm not sure what others think of me for retiring early (before 50), but as a single guy, I could afford it and have no obligations to others. No college loans, no debt, invested in mutual funds from day one as a young pup. I do have a military pension and health care fortunately. Without it, it would be a whole different story (health care too expensive).

I feel that during my shorter career, I worked 110% during the career - probably experienced lots of burnout. Never really enjoyed waking up and heading off to work (nightshifts, weekends, holidays, military deployments in Afghanistan, Balkans, Central America).

I guess if you have one of those jobs where you can't wait to get to work because you love what you do, keep going. I selected a career where I knew I could make a living.

I hope that early retirees would use the time wisely with doing what they feel is important - travel perhaps, fitness, pick up new hobbies, experiences, volunteer. If one just vegetates at home, then early retirement was probably not a good move.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:14 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,534,865 times
I'd like to know what folks who retire before 50 did for a living, and how they managed to live and enjoy life while working.....just curious. I'm thinking I'll be retiring at 62 if I can figure out Health Insurance.....Social Security and Pension will easily cover other expenses, Health Insurance will be the big nut. I do enjoy my job, and as a matter of fact, get in an hour early every day, but at 57 I'm experiencing some physical issues from abusing my body throughout the years....all I gotta hear is "you can't do that", and I'm like "here, hold my Beer"....it's taken it's toll. I probably would be in a better position if I didn't want and get a new truck at the drop of a hat, or buy a home that is bigger than what we need (just the 2 of us in a 3 bdrm / 2 bath house, acre of land....3rd home in 15 years), still managed to save some $$ though and live life while I can, and hope to retire and spend more time doing whatever catches my interest

Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
Most of the people I've known who voluntarily retired early were either single or married with no children. Those among us with kids to put through college end up working as long as possible. The one huge barrier is medical insurance. You can read through the other string in this forum to learn about that. If you are confident you have that covered, go for it. I think people should retire as soon as they can swing it financially because life is uncertain and too short. Don't die on the job.

But I also know several people who were kicked out of corporate America in their mid-50s never to return to a job with benefits. They ended up working as temps. Now that the ACA apparently is going to be "repealed" they're screwed.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:07 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times
I was diagnosed with cancer, which I am in remission. We decided then, time to enjoy the fruit of our labors. We were financially able, 3 pensions, military healthcare and watched several co-workers die suddenly. Adios!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 AM

2,206 posts, read 930,610 times
Stress and burnout were the primary reasons for me retiring. Plus the fact that I've had heart bypass surgery and at 62 I know that based on family genetics I won't live to be a really old man. Time to,enjoy a few years while I still can. I was blessed to have a great pension which I cashed out and have invested wisely,that plus SS allow me to live comfortably.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 AM

5,940 posts, read 5,297,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I'd like to know what folks who retire before 50 did for a living, and how they managed to live and enjoy life while working.....just curious. I'm thinking I'll be retiring at 62 if I can figure out Health Insurance.....Social Security and Pension will easily cover other expenses, Health Insurance will be the big nut. I do enjoy my job, and as a matter of fact, get in an hour early every day, but at 57 I'm experiencing some physical issues from abusing my body throughout the years....all I gotta hear is "you can't do that", and I'm like "here, hold my Beer"....it's taken it's toll. I probably would be in a better position if I didn't want and get a new truck at the drop of a hat, or buy a home that is bigger than what we need (just the 2 of us in a 3 bdrm / 2 bath house, acre of land....3rd home in 15 years), still managed to save some $$ though and live life while I can, and hope to retire and spend more time doing whatever catches my interest
It's not what they did for a living. It's how they spent the money.

One example. A car is to get you from point A to point B. That's it. They last 10+ years. I remember telling the salesmen I want the cheapest car on the lot with automatic, air, and some type of radio. Color doesn't matter. I am older than you and have had 7 cars( not all new) in my life. and not getting rid of this one anytime soon. My 3 closest friends drive a 2001, 2003, and a 2005. They are not even close to poor. Two have quite a bit more than me. If taking a long trip rent one. No wear and tear on yours and you get to drive something else for a change. I am thinking that in this one example the money difference between you and me is well into 6 figures. I never had a car loan.

I don't think my life has suffered one iota because my car says Chevrolet and not Lincoln. I still go anywhere I want and do anything I want to do.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 AM

5,940 posts, read 5,297,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Most of the people I've known who voluntarily retired early were either single or married with no children. Those among us with kids to put through college end up working as long as possible. The one huge barrier is medical insurance. You can read through the other string in this forum to learn about that. If you are confident you have that covered, go for it. I think people should retire as soon as they can swing it financially because life is uncertain and too short. Don't die on the job.

But I also know several people who were kicked out of corporate America in their mid-50s never to return to a job with benefits. They ended up working as temps. Now that the ACA apparently is going to be "repealed" they're screwed.
It depends on when you had your kids. Was the first one born when you were 22 or 35?

I agree with the rest of your post.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:15 AM

3,688 posts, read 1,866,292 times
Quote:
I will retire after working 42 years, 32 with the fed govt.

No reason to continue working. My people don't live long so I'm going to enjoy whatever life I have left.

Tired of the govt bullcrap, getting up at 5am, not being with my retired husband.

December can't come fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement