Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:52 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times

Advertisements

Timber Pines looks beautiful, however after some research, there seem to be a problem with sink holes in that community.....disappointed, because it looks like a community that would be right for us. Really appreciate the info though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 07:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Thinking of moving to a 55+ community in Florida. Looking at The Villages and Solivita. Would love opinions on these and others that are living there or other 55 communities. We will be 63-65 when we move, and yes we love the heat

I will most likely do the same at some point in the future….unless TN opens more 55plus communities.

I haven't been to Solivita but I have been to the Villages. It is not for me but many people love it. The houses are all cookie cutter, the lots are tiny, houses are expensive, mostly conservative and it is "crazy" crowded which is a nightmare for me, lol. They do have all kinds of activities though.

I would suggest either renting to see if you really like it or see if the community offers a sample stay. Talk with the people who live there. I would never buy into a place that I haven't done as much research as possible.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM

quote=ylisa7;47513028]I will most likely do the same at some point in the future….unless TN opens more 55plus communities.

I haven't been to Solivita but I have been to the Villages. It is not for me but many people love it. The houses are all cookie cutter, the lots are tiny, houses are expensive, mostly conservative and it is "crazy" crowded which is a nightmare for me, lol. They do have all kinds of activities though.

I would suggest either renting to see if you really like it or see if the community offers a sample stay. Talk with the people who live there. I would never buy into a place that I haven't done as much research as possible.[/quote]

We have been to the Villages for a few hours to visit a friend. I agree the some of the homes are right on top of each other. You can go on VRBO and rent someone`s house for a week, that is something we would do. Our friends do love it there, don`t know if it`s for us though. Right now searching for areas that are prone to sink holes. That scares me

Old 03-15-2017, 07:30 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
My understanding is that they will accept medicare as partial payment, but you are on the hook for the balance. MAYO will bill you and you will get a partial reimbursement directly from medicare. You must keep meticulous records though.
I think they are an "opt out" organization for Medicare. The one in MN will accept it for MN residents but at the others there will always be an out of pocket balance owing, even with Medicare and supplemental. That would be something to factor into a health care budget, when retiring there and using their facilities.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
quote=ylisa7;47513028]I will most likely do the same at some point in the future….unless TN opens more 55plus communities.

I would suggest either renting to see if you really like it or see if the community offers a sample stay. Talk with the people who live there. I would never buy into a place that I haven't done as much research as possible.

"We have been to the Villages for a few hours to visit a friend. I agree the some of the homes are right on top of each other. You can go on VRBO and rent someone`s house for a week, that is something we would do. Our friends do love it there, don`t know if it`s for us though. Right now searching for areas that are prone to sink holes. That scares me[/quote]"

I also have friends there who love it. Another option would be to look for a community close to the Villages and you can go to one of The Villages 3 squares for free entertainment.

Yes there are some places with sink holes but I have only come across one and that was on the coast. It was somewhere in the Hudson/Homosassa area.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
"We have been to the Villages for a few hours to visit a friend. I agree the some of the homes are right on top of each other. You can go on VRBO and rent someone`s house for a week, that is something we would do. Our friends do love it there, don`t know if it`s for us though. Right now searching for areas that are prone to sink holes. That scares me
"

I also have friends there who love it. Another option would be to look for a community close to the Villages and you can go to one of The Villages 3 squares for free entertainment.

Yes there are some places with sink holes but I have only come across one and that was on the coast. It was somewhere in the Hudson/Homosassa area.[/quote]

There have been some sink holes at The Villages and also at Timber Pines a community a poster had recommended .

Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 AM

419 posts, read 387,429 times
We are in Clermont, Florida, about one hour south of The Villages. There are three large 55+ communities here, and I have heard mostly good about them.

The oldest is Kings Ridge. It has two golf courses, one of which is an executive course. There is a large clubhouse and pool. The HOA is run by the homeowners, which is a good thing to keep costs low. The last I heard, the fee included lawn, house painting, and cable. Many people have been in the development for 20+ years.

Summit Greens is the nicest, in my opinion. The terrain is more hilly there, and it has a nice golf course. It has the clubhouse and pool too. I don't know a lot about the fees, but when my parents were looking, they were higher than Kings Ridge.

Heritage Hills is the newest, and they are still building new homes here. No golf course, but a very nice clubhouse. I have heard from friends that the fees are fairly high here.

I know people who live in all three, and most are happy. There is the occasional problem of people getting in your business. You also have "the controllers" who see the community as their domain, but you have that anywhere there is an HOA.

The great thing about the 55+ communities is the lack of crime. It makes it possible to live in a smaller home without worrying that the neighborhood is going down.

Clermont is a very nice area with a mix of all ages. Although we qualify age wise for a 55+, we are in a smaller development along one of the lakes here. We built our house 20 years ago and will stay here until we move back north. We have a low HOA, but that doesn't include care of any kind for our home. We just pay someone $100 per month to have the lawn cut, something we only started a couple of years ago when illness made it difficult for my husband. I did it for awhile, but I can't take mowing this thick St. Augustine grass when the heat and humidity is stifling.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
We are in Clermont, Florida, about one hour south of The Villages. There are three large 55+ communities here, and I have heard mostly good about them.

The oldest is Kings Ridge. It has two golf courses, one of which is an executive course. There is a large clubhouse and pool. The HOA is run by the homeowners, which is a good thing to keep costs low. The last I heard, the fee included lawn, house painting, and cable. Many people have been in the development for 20+ years.

Summit Greens is the nicest, in my opinion. The terrain is more hilly there, and it has a nice golf course. It has the clubhouse and pool too. I don't know a lot about the fees, but when my parents were looking, they were higher than Kings Ridge.

Heritage Hills is the newest, and they are still building new homes here. No golf course, but a very nice clubhouse. I have heard from friends that the fees are fairly high here.

I know people who live in all three, and most are happy. There is the occasional problem of people getting in your business. You also have "the controllers" who see the community as their domain, but you have that anywhere there is an HOA.

The great thing about the 55+ communities is the lack of crime. It makes it possible to live in a smaller home without worrying that the neighborhood is going down.

Clermont is a very nice area with a mix of all ages. Although we qualify age wise for a 55+, we are in a smaller development along one of the lakes here. We built our house 20 years ago and will stay here until we move back north. We have a low HOA, but that doesn't include care of any kind for our home. We just pay someone $100 per month to have the lawn cut, something we only started a couple of years ago when illness made it difficult for my husband. I did it for awhile, but I can't take mowing this thick St. Augustine grass when the heat and humidity is stifling.
I'm in beautiful Lake Louisa St Park. This area Clermont is very scenic. Looks like everything is new and orderly as if the community was just built recently.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post

All three of these communities are what we have in mind, they will go on my list. Thanks

Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We are in a 55+ community and would not consider going anywhere else. I quit doing yard work in 1987 when we bought our first condo townhouse, haven't missed it yet. We have moved twice since, but will never own another house.

In a 55+ your neighbors are your contemporaries, there is less crime and no noise, graffiti.
My wife and I are looking for an over 55 when we move to NC in a couple of years too. I am much younger than she, but she will be 55 then, and we want the peace and quiet these communities offer. Plus we are so sick and tired of mowing our 1/3 acre yard We're in Texas, and cutting the grass 3 times a month, 8 months a year, for 18 years in the sweltering heat is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement