U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 05:05 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,993,872 times

Advertisements

Nancy I understand what your saying, I sure everybody around me is tired of hearing the word retirement, and short timer but OH WELL. There is a great deal of jealousy but wishful thoughts jealousy, everybody that I work with is still 10 years away from retiring, I'm fortunate my husband is retiring at age 55 and I'm only 52 but I think I can handle it. There again like I said on a previous post he is out for the most amount of checks not the larger checks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,639,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Where were you exactly, coartist? I am in Brooklyn (as a teacher). but...... not 4 long .... . I find myself mentioning this to almost everyone (like a fool , I guess ). God knows what they are thinking , but I am just so excited !!!!!
My last 8 years I was assigned to bellevue hospital forensic,I also worked at
rikers Island,Kings county hospital,manhattan detention ctr,I was born in bklyn,bay ridge to be exact,than moved to S.I, now have a home in PA.Where
in bklyn do you teach,and do you plan on leaving NY? You are going to love retirement, I do not miss work at all! I keep busy and enjoy life.
there are alot more things to do in PA,like fishing,golf,I make my own wine,run,
go to the gym(very Important to take care of yourself now more than ever)

Old 04-25-2008, 01:54 AM

23 posts, read 57,663 times
I retired from city law enforcement in California 3 1/2 years ago at age 52 (3%@age 50 plan) and immediately joined the county sheriff's office for five years. I'll be vested there in 16 more months and call it quits, as will my wife. The eventual monthly retirement income from there will help pay for medical insurance later.

I may work part-time (per-diem) at another sheriff's office where we move to for extra income/social contacts etc., and probably to help pay fuel costs while traveling the country in the 40' diesel motorhome...

We are really looking forward to retirement (or even semi-retirement) to do what we want to do, not what others demand that we do while working.

Plan all the details of your retirement responsibly, pull the pin, and just enjoy it. You have earned it..

Old 04-25-2008, 04:26 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,077,851 times
Once you retire you will be so busy doing what YOU want to do that you will wonder how you ever found time to work full time.
The path to enjoyable retirement is to stay busy doing what you enjoy or trying new things you never had time to do before.
Don't just retire to a recliner. Live life.
You have earned it.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:22 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,946,976 times
This has been a nice thread to read.
Congratulations to all who are "there" or "nearing there".

On my mac I have a dashboard widget that counts down the days. For me, the number is still high.....1165 days. (about 3 years).

But there is still much to do to prepare! We are cleaning out closets,the basement, etc.....getting rid of STUFF. Giving things away to kids, etc. The home we bought in Florida we already fully furnished, so we will take little there. Clothes, tools and pictures...that's about it.

Friends and family are already calling "dibs" on the snowblower, exmark mower, table and radial arm saw, etc, etc.

Fixing little things on the house, getting it more ready to sell in a few years. I find I'm now buying much less......I am no longer in "gathering mode"...I'm now enjoying getting rid of things. Now things only need to last 3 years....we do not "need" a new sofa now, etc.......it's great!

Frank D.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:06 AM

857 posts, read 4,473,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Excellent,best of luck to you! You are going to love retirement.I just recently retired after 20 years NYC law enforcement and love It!
I grew up in Bklyn, and half of the men on my block were in Law Enforcement. Being a cop, like being a soldier, is a job that deserves more appreciation than it gets. One by one, as they retired they would all get the h*ll out of Bklyn.
Glad you are enjoying your retirement. You've earned it.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I grew up in Bklyn, and half of the men on my block were in Law Enforcement. Being a cop, like being a soldier, is a job that deserves more appreciation than it gets. One by one, as they retired they would all get the h*ll out of Bklyn.
Glad you are enjoying your retirement. You've earned it.
thank you very much,I appreciate that.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Once you retire you will be so busy doing what YOU want to do that you will wonder how you ever found time to work full time.
The path to enjoyable retirement is to stay busy doing what you enjoy or trying new things you never had time to do before.
Don't just retire to a recliner. Live life.
You have earned it.
this is so true,I am doing more now than I ever did and enjoying it!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Fixing little things on the house, getting it more ready to sell in a few years. I find I'm now buying much less......I am no longer in "gathering mode"...I'm now enjoying getting rid of things. Now things only need to last 3 years....we do not "need" a new sofa now, etc.......it's great!

Frank D.
Me too. But I figure I have about a years worth of work on the house after I retire before it will be ready to sell. I just spend too much time working, traveling, and commuting to get it all done.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:09 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
My last 8 years I was assigned to bellevue hospital forensic,I also worked at
rikers Island,Kings county hospital,manhattan detention ctr,I was born in bklyn,bay ridge to be exact

Whoa.... what tough places you have worked. No wonder you are so glad to be relaxing now. I teach in Park Slope , in a nice area really & I have been teaching the children of my children for some time now so it is definitely time to leave. I also commute from Long Island. I am tired. That sounds interesting, though. Forensics.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement