U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:28 PM

2,601 posts, read 1,230,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
169 hours and 26 minutes of work left at this EVIL place. August 26th last day .
I'm smiling at your post because I know the feeling. I hope the time passes for you as fast as it did for me when I was counting down my final month. I love retirement!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Cold feet? Oh, no. Not at all. Retirement is on my mind every minute of the day. I even find myself talking to strangers about it (what a jerk....). I also have Jury Duty as of Monday. Maybe I will get on a real loooong case and never have to go back (at least not for an extra week or so).
LOL! I was called for jury duty at the beginning of my last month of employment -- a nice juicy, gang-related case of assault with intent and other charges, two defendants and two juries that promised to last at least a month. I thought that would be a perfect way to spend my last month -- one day a week at the office, and Friday at that, and then never to set foot in it again while drawing full pay for doing my civic duty.

Unfortunately, the odds were against me. For some reason the defense didn't want an ex-cop on the jury. Go figure!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM

23 posts, read 57,646 times
Default Retiring in 6 weeks!!!

As a follow-up to my post here on 4-25-08 when I had 17 months to go, I now have 6 weeks to retire, 20 shifts or less. We sold our house in the San Francisco Bay Area and have moved 225 miles north to Redding, Ca. I stay with a former co-worker while working (in San Mateo) and go to our (new) home on long weekends etc. We gave away and/or dumped many items we no longer needed and didn't want to take with us. Most is in storage. We still have too much and will continue getting rid of items we really don't need or want anymore.

Still hoping to buy a 36' diesel pusher RV and get some travel in and meet some of you around this great country. We are excited about retiring next month!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,049,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPD114 View Post
As a follow-up to my post here on 4-25-08 when I had 17 months to go, I now have 6 weeks to retire, 20 shifts or less. We sold our house in the San Francisco Bay Area and have moved 225 miles north to Redding, Ca. I stay with a former co-worker while working (in San Mateo) and go to our (new) home on long weekends etc. We gave away and/or dumped many items we no longer needed and didn't want to take with us. Most is in storage. We still have too much and will continue getting rid of items we really don't need or want anymore.

Still hoping to buy a 36' diesel pusher RV and get some travel in and meet some of you around this great country. We are excited about retiring next month!
You should join us on the http://www.city-data.com/forum/retirement/560845-retiring-year.html thread.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,780,673 times
946 days Post-retirement. Trust me, you'll love it! Best of luck.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 PM

23 posts, read 57,646 times
Well, I'm back on the forum. Been very busy. I retired on 10/19/09 and moved to Redding (Ca) as planned. Bought a new house there and are finally getting settled in. Didn't buy an RV yet. Still hoping to. Planning some travel to hawaii, caribbean etc over the next few months.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 AM

2,601 posts, read 1,230,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPD114 View Post
Well, I'm back on the forum. Been very busy. I retired on 10/19/09 and moved to Redding (Ca) as planned. Bought a new house there and are finally getting settled in. Didn't buy an RV yet. Still hoping to. Planning some travel to hawaii, caribbean etc over the next few months.
Good for you! Being retired is a great place to be in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement