Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:28 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've adopted several seniors by grocery shopping for them each weekend... they are widows and really can't get out... grocery shopping became a huge problem just in mobility... also would write out their checks for them to sign for Utilities and such...

Many only need a hand to be viable and I really miss those that have passed away... just came from a funeral today... 92, x marine and a woman that served in WWII she has a single child that lives on 2500 miles away with no other family...

Have to say the women's marine support group does a fantastic job helping elderly marines as we her neighbors did to pitch in... a real inspiration... in some ways it really does take a village.
Great information and a good story about the servicewoman. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:50 PM

320 posts, read 233,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
Yes, the Meals on Wheels don't look so great. (My parents got them although they did pay for them, which they could afford.) But, they definitely are eaten by those that eat them. And, the volunteers who come to bring them may be their one social contact for the day. MOW are about more than food.
I think that's why this program is so valuable & needed. The deliveries also serve as "wellness check-ins" and provide the only human contact the senior gets, many of them living alone.

I wish they would improve the quality of the food. Our seniors deserve that.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
My MIL who just passed away, she and my FIL lived in a senior apartment complex for 20 years which served as a senior lunch meal site and a MOW set up station. My MIL had a food service background and ran the meal site/MOW set up station at her complex as a paid employee of MOW for a number of years. My MIL was as picky as it comes with regards to food, and she and my FIL found this food of excellent quality and they ate these meals for lunch fairly often. So quality and taste is probably a bit different depending on how and who prepares it.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:57 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Federal input to Meals on Wheels is roughly 3% of its total budget. Meals on Wheels is a non-profit 501(c)3 registered in Virginia.

Meals on Wheels would lose how much in Trump's 'skinny budget'? - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Would people be as outraged if Catholic Charities received federal funding and it was cut?

Precisely. And, for what it is worth. I have a good bead on CC as a family member is a board member. The folks in the various diocese chapters are Houdini like in how they allocate and disperse funds. They could seriously teach the Federal Government a lesson on how to effectively spend money and manage money.

The other point and not aimed specifically at this program rather government programs across the board follows. If the unnecessary spending i.e. spending on ancillary things, not spending related directly to the program itself were investigated, there would be a lot of money that is not directly impacting programs that could and should be cut first. That would keep the actual programs intact. The amount of wasteful spending is unconscionable. Recall the hammer and the toilet seats? It is always easier to talk.

I am waiting for the day that they cut the healthcare bennies for life for the Congress. I am not oppose to allowing them to continue to participate in the bennies, just self pay like I do.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crillon View Post
I think that's why this program is so valuable & needed. The deliveries also serve as "wellness check-ins" and provide the only human contact the senior gets, many of them living alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
My MIL who just passed away, she and my FIL lived in a senior apartment complex for 20 years which served as a senior lunch meal site and a MOW set up station. My MIL had a food service background and ran the meal site/MOW set up station at her complex as a paid employee of MOW for a number of years. My MIL was as picky as it comes with regards to food, and she and my FIL found this food of excellent quality and they ate these meals for lunch fairly often. So quality and taste is probably a bit different depending on how and who prepares it.
This must be true. I have never known anyone who gets meals on wheel, and I've read on the P&OC thread from some that the food was "inedible" and from others that the meals were good. I don't think there's any standardization and that, as says the poster above, it depends upon who is preparing it.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This must be true. I have never known anyone who gets meals on wheel, and I've read on the P&OC thread from some that the food was "inedible" and from others that the meals were good. I don't think there's any standardization and that, as says the poster above, it depends upon who is preparing it.
Left out an "s", and it's too late to edit. This is the Unicycle version that will come into play if the cuts take effect.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 AM

365 posts, read 258,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
But the larger question is, who are you to judge these people? .
Some would argue that when beggars ask for money, they are making it necessary for us to judge them. Resources are limited. If I give $20 to a bum who could work but chooses not to, then that is $20 I can't give to somebody who really needs it.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 AM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
So much sensationalism. Meals on Wheels has already received more in new private donations than they would lose under the proposed budget.

We really can't afford all this poverty. We need prosperity in this country, first and foremost, and I don't mean just for the 1%. People need to be able to send Grandma a few bucks when she needs it, rather than sitting back and letting strangers take care of her.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
So much sensationalism. Meals on Wheels has already received more in new private donations than they would lose under the proposed budget.

We really can't afford all this poverty. We need prosperity in this country, first and foremost, and I don't mean just for the 1%. People need to be able to send Grandma a few bucks when she needs it, rather than sitting back and letting strangers take care of her.
That isn't relevant to Meals on Wheels, though. People DO send their Grandmas a few bucks. I know no one who wouldn't.

The problem is that not every old person is Grandma. MoW is to help people who are isolated, can't get out, don't have family to assist them or have family who can't help them for whatever reason. Do you know for sure that everyone in your city has someone checking in them, has enough food, can get out to get what they need? I don't. How would we know without organized programs like MoW?

Oakland, NJ, just a couple of years ago. Affluent Bergen County, suburbs of New York City. Old man was dead in his house for months, and no one knew. Neighbors didn't notice, his only relative was a nephew who didn't live in the area. It happens. The fed money fills in those needs in places where the states and private donations fall short. This particular guy was probably OK financially, but if someone had checked in on him, he might have been found alive or at the very least not in an advanced state of decomposition.

As the NYT article stated, this proposal will be DOA in Congress, including with the Republicans, so it's really moot, but ignoring elderly isolation and/or poverty by pretending that everyone has somebody to look out for them so that we can all go merrily on our way isn't right. We need to take care of one another.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

Precisely. And, for what it is worth. I have a good bead on CC as a family member is a board member. The folks in the various diocese chapters are Houdini like in how they allocate and disperse funds. They could seriously teach the Federal Government a lesson on how to effectively spend money and manage money.

The other point and not aimed specifically at this program rather government programs across the board follows. If the unnecessary spending i.e. spending on ancillary things, not spending related directly to the program itself were investigated, there would be a lot of money that is not directly impacting programs that could and should be cut first. That would keep the actual programs intact. The amount of wasteful spending is unconscionable. Recall the hammer and the toilet seats? It is always easier to talk.

I am waiting for the day that they cut the healthcare bennies for life for the Congress. I am not oppose to allowing them to continue to participate in the bennies, just self pay like I do.
Well, that's a different subject. That wasn't "wasteful spending", but rather fraud that was enabled because the proper controls weren't in place and the criminals knew how to work the loopholes. No one actually said, "hey, yeah, let's spend $10K on a hammer." I worked in public procurement (not federal) and we had speakers come and explain to us how it was done. Very interesting. Hopefully, those loopholes are closed now with better practices and technology, but as long as there is money somewhere and criminal minds figuring out how to get it, there will be problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement