Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

But I would not classify ballet and theater as counting in your Tri-City area of Washington State if they are all amateur, as you state. Amateur does not count. And concerts would count only if there are concerts which are not amateur. Some people may not mind amateur, but I would not attend amateur ballet and theater and most amateur concerts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 06:51 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's dependent on whether or not I rent out my property and for how much. True, my pension won't be huge, but I have IRAs, 401k, SS, and quite a nice nest egg thanks to my lifelong frugality and decade as a multiple rental property owner, thank you... I think I can manage to buy something on either coast, in other words. I do hesitate to take on two HOAs simultaneously since maintenance fees can be raised at any time without warning, and then there can also be surprise assessments at any point. No one but a multi-millionaire should take on such unknowns without some trepidation, IMO.

There should be a CD rule: "If you can't say something helpful, say nothing at all."
Not sure what that is supposed to mean. I thought i was being helpful based on your posts. And you should take your own advice, by the way.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. I still think Florida will not be your happy place based on your other posts.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
There's no sense talking to you about the advantages of the Gulf Coast if "dramatic surf" is one of your top criteria. So cross it off your list. Although...one of the reasons I love where I live (Bradenton) is its proximity to Sarasota (culture/arts), and only an hour from Tampa if I need the advanced healthcare of the big city. Having come from a big East Coast city, I would not want to live in an area where there are no large/teaching hospitals nearby.

So it looks like Orlando is your closest big city to Cocoa Beach. Not sure if that meets your criteria for arts and culture.

And living directly on the beach AND being close to a large city -- well, I hope you're a millionaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement