Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But how is someone looking at their phone screen distracting? It's not like the concert is in complete darkness - there are typically big screens and other light show stuff going on? I'm in my 50's and I still don't understand the big deal...maybe in a movie theater but not at a loud and bright concert environment.
It's distracting when it interferes with others attempting to accomplish the routine of everyday public life.

It's a shame how Ma Bell built all those enclosed phone booths. What a waste of money. Who could have predicted in the decades to come, that all phone conversations need be heard by every bystander within a 20 foot radius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 10:09 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
If I were thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would consider becoming a physical therapist specializing in thumb therapy. This is to heal all the carpal tunnel thumb syndrome that we will be seeing over the next few years.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:25 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I know management would not agree with you. Are you advocating that I, the paying customer, do the work of the bakery cutie, who is getting paid to DO THE JOB SHE WAS HIRED FOR? And no employer wants to hear that their employee is ROLLING THEIR EYES at the customer.

I don't know why I even have to explain this.
You have mentioned her looks numerous times...hmmm.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
The older generation have been saying the exact same thing about the younger generation...forever.
The difference is that, at some age, previous generations conformed to accepted norms of public behavior. Today, there are 50 year old's still acting like idiots. It has it's genesis in the entertainment and advertising industries, where everything has to be loud, exciting, and outrageous.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Well at least your generation got lots of attention from marketers over the past 60+ years.

We X barely got noticed and now we are mostly over the hill.

The marketers skipped past us to the Millennials.

Welcome to nothingness.
With the exception of pharmaceuticals, almost every ad I see contains nothing but Millennials in it.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbf57 View Post
Sorry but I completely disagree. I am 59 and have just about given up going to the movies or any other venue because of ppl looking at their screens. The point is we are there to see a show, or a movie, which yes, may be brightly lit, but the brightly lit phone screens are VERY MUCH a distraction to me, I cannot focus on the movie or event when one of those is on.

Hence, DH and I carefully choose whether we want to subject ourselves to dealing with rude ppl, staff, or theater goers.

Additionally I have noticed that almost every restaurant I have been to lately refers to husband and I as "guys", as in "Hi guys, welcome to ____ restaurant", or "guys, anything else for you tonight?" I am not sure why this phenomenon is occurring and I am not that old but I find it plain disrespectful.
It's interesting how people spend money to attend events, and then spend the entire time watching something else on their phone isn't it?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Why rail against the youth? We WERE the youth that pissed off our parents generation.

It really is a right of passage for each generation. If they didn't irritate me, I would think there was something wrong with them!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why rail against the youth? We WERE the youth that pissed off our parents generation.

It really is a right of passage for each generation. If they didn't irritate me, I would think there was something wrong with them!!
I certainly am not one to "rail against youth"...

I was the "victim" here not the hateful drunk girl at my table.

Don't need the drama, won't be back to that venue.

I've a plethora of expendable income and won't spend it there. I hear the Live Oak in Fort Worth is closing...oh well.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:53 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've been to several entertainment venues lately and have felt out of place.

I'm 61 and I feel very uncomfortable going to places where I used to feel ok.

I live in Fort Worth, TX. Our city center, Sundance Square used to be the place to go. Now I feel that the aim is for 20-30 year olds. The stores are all geared to young people (H&M, Francesca's, toy stores, kid candy store, etc.). Events focus on young people and families. Nothing for anyone over 50 it seems.

And last night at the Bass Performance Hall lots of young people yapping and making noise during the show. I would never behave that way and I was pretty shocked. Not the first time this has happened.

Told my husband I'm getting a 70 inch TV and Netflix and just staying at home.

We are not the demographic folks want anymore it seems.

Overreacting or on point? Anyone? Aging out of activities?
I am 62 and here is my take.
Maybe you are overreacting. Your comment " I would never behave that way " shows something about your attitude. People act differently than when you were young and I bet there were people who saw how you behaved at some point in your life and thought "I would never behave that way". Times change if you cannot accept it don't say "We are not the demographic folks want anymore" when maybe it is also you.

Quote:
At the Live Oak music hall I was actually called "grandma" by the couple we were sharing a table with during a show (you don't pick your table mate) by a performer (Max Stalling) I really wanted to see. Really irritating and husband and I were just minding our business and trying to be pleasant with the person.
Did they call you grandma in a derogatory way? I don't mind being called grandpa.

Quote:
Our city center, Sundance Square used to be the place to go. Now I feel that the aim is for 20-30 year olds. The stores are all geared to young people (H&M, Francesca's, toy stores, kid candy store, etc.). Events focus on young people and families. Nothing for anyone over 50 it seems.
My wife buys clothing at Francesca's and we will go into candy stores. Where I live events don't just focus on young people. Billy Joel plays at the garden every month (can be enjoyed by all ages), Les Mis is on Broadway, Yankee games, a bag pipe band played at the local library, etc.

Marketers aim for where the money is. For the most part it is the over 50 folks who have it. Many times we choose to spend it on kids and grandkids hence toy stores, candy stores and clothes.

ETA: After reading more of the thread and seeing this
Quote:
"I turned to get my glass of diet coke and the female said "hey Grandma, what are you looking at" and several other times, the waiter came by and she said - "Grandma isn't drink she doesn't want anything".... "
I would just say rudeness can come in all ages (especially with drinking) don't blame it on age. You point out her companion was nice

Last edited by Eeyore1954; 04-06-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I was at the grocery store in Texas that employs every 5th person (or so it seems, it is so large) and there were coupons posted for a product I wanted that didn't belong to the product, they belonged to the product that was over 2 tables. It was very misleading. I pointed it out to the little chickie who thought her job was to just look cute. As she was walking away after not doing a thing to correct the situation, I said the coupons needed to be moved to the right product and she rolled her eyes as she prepared to walk her cute little self over to the coupons. I said, politely but firmly, "don't roll your eyes at me, you should have thought of this yourself." I'm sure she was thinking something along the lines that I was an old b(at)......
I wonder which came first her rolling her eyes at you or something in your behavior towards her when you pointed out the issue. The fact that you refer to her as chickie and say she walked her cute little self make it seem possible it is the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement