Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 12:24 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times

Advertisements

I've been to several entertainment venues lately and have felt out of place.

I'm 61 and I feel very uncomfortable going to places where I used to feel ok.

I live in Fort Worth, TX. Our city center, Sundance Square used to be the place to go. Now I feel that the aim is for 20-30 year olds. The stores are all geared to young people (H&M, Francesca's, toy stores, kid candy store, etc.). Events focus on young people and families. Nothing for anyone over 50 it seems.

And last night at the Bass Performance Hall lots of young people yapping and making noise during the show. I would never behave that way and I was pretty shocked. Not the first time this has happened.

At the Live Oak music hall I was actually called "grandma" by the couple we were sharing a table with during a show (you don't pick your table mate) by a performer (Max Stalling) I really wanted to see. Really irritating and husband and I were just minding our business and trying to be pleasant with the person.

Told my husband I'm getting a 70 inch TV and Netflix and just staying at home.

We are not the demographic folks want anymore it seems.

Overreacting or on point? Anyone? Aging out of activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
We are 83 and 82, we haven't gone to a movie theater in years. It is very rare to watch "prime time" TV. We find what we want on channels like TCM and GetTV, set the DVR and watch at our convenience. I have probably about 100 books to read when I can find the time. Living in a 55+ community we associate with our contemporaries.

At one point we tried a Roku unit, but after we moved back to Florida we gave it to our granddaughter who is a young adult.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:00 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Rude people come in all ages, races, and other demographic measurements.

I live in a town with a lot of retirees. There are some local restaurants that cater to older people, playing mostly older music, very quiet atmosphere, etc. I'll look around and will not only be the only young adult, but probably the only one middle aged or younger!

If you're in an area or market that caters to a senior clientele, your experience will be different.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 PM

I think the entire demographic of Fort Worth has changed. Or maybe it is the country in general.

Not like we can just up and move to The Villages in Florida or something.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

At the Live Oak music hall I was actually called "grandma" by the couple we were sharing a table with during a show (you don't pick your table mate) by a performer (Max Stalling) I really wanted to see. Really irritating and husband and I were just minding our business and trying to be pleasant with the person.
This is so rude. Just appalling. Calling you 'grandma'. That level of rudeness could definitely put a damper on the evening. I cannot imagine what the context of calling you that was.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This is so rude. Just appalling. Calling you 'grandma'. That level of rudeness could definitely put a damper on the evening. I cannot imagine what the context of calling you that was.
I turned to get my glass of diet coke and the female said "hey Grandma, what are you looking at" and several other times, the waiter came by and she said - "Grandma isn't drink she doesn't want anything"....

Sort of put a damper on the evening.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:15 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Must be where you live. I'm 67 and do not feel out out of place anywhere in my part of CA. Young people treat me and my friends with respect. Been to concerts and have not noticed any discrimination. If anything the 30 year olds act as if it's cool that my wife and I are enjoying the same venue as they.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:32 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've experienced ageism but I fight back.

I happen to like alt rock-music (indie-rock) and have gone to a number of small venue concerts. There have been 2 occasions where I experienced this. First, I went to a Bleachers concert in Boston with kid #2 and we positioned ourselves around 4 rows from the stage next to a column. I pretty much cemented myself to the column and there were two young girls directly in front of me. One of them leaned into to me so closely that you couldn't put a piece of paper between us. My daughter and I at one point switched places and the girl gave her some space. We switched places again and this chick began to lean into me again. My daughter (a black belt) was about ready to take her out.

The 2nd time this happen was at a Kongos concert with kid #1--again in Boston. We were close to the stage but not right at the stage. After the first group played their set (there were 3 total) the crowd thinned out and there was space pretty much at center stage so we moved forward. At no time were we approached by anyone saying that the space was saved. When the Kongos came on stage to perform this chick pushed through and stood next to me. She tried to hip-check me to the point where she was purposely trying to push me off balance. Well, I thought, 2 can play at THIS game and I began to do the bump with her--real hard. She finally gave up and sent in her boyfriend who behaved for about 3 minutes before he started to do the lean in. Gave it right back at him. Really ruined the concert for me.

Then again, I went to a Frank Turner concert which is really wild--mosh pit with crowd surfing. The kids dancing around me were really out of control, but there were two girls in front of us who made sure that I was OK.

Bear in mind that a lot of these kids are coming to these events either drunk or high (or both) and being young and stupid is one of life's unfortunate passages.

My feeling is that karma will catch up with these yahoos so I don't have to worry. One day they'll be old ladies trying to enjoy a concert and then it's payback time....

Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 PM

318 posts, read 466,969 times
Quote:
I've been to several entertainment venues lately and have felt out of place.

I'm 61 and I feel very uncomfortable going to places where I used to feel ok.

I live in Fort Worth, TX. Our city center, Sundance Square used to be the place to go. Now I feel that the aim is for 20-30 year olds. The stores are all geared to young people (H&M, Francesca's, toy stores, kid candy store, etc.). Events focus on young people and families. Nothing for anyone over 50 it seems.

And last night at the Bass Performance Hall lots of young people yapping and making noise during the show. I would never behave that way and I was pretty shocked. Not the first time this has happened.

Told my husband I'm getting a 70 inch TV and Netflix and just staying at home.

We are not the demographic folks want anymore it seems.

Overreacting or on point? Anyone? Aging out of activities?
People can be *REALLY* rude.

I wouldn't stand for that Crap anymore, and I don't plan to... I'm a few years younger than you are... take good care of myself... etc... dress nicely... AND i think it makes the little kiddies feel uncomfortable or threatened to see someone older than they are out at a club.

Don't give in. Continue on, find a new place. There are idiots everywhere.

Sick to DEATH of the focus on the kids and the young families. Truly. I just do whatever I want, and if it pleases me, its good. I don't give a fig about the other people attending. And if they are rude, I can be rude right back!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:42 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I was at the grocery store in Texas that employs every 5th person (or so it seems, it is so large) and there were coupons posted for a product I wanted that didn't belong to the product, they belonged to the product that was over 2 tables. It was very misleading. I pointed it out to the little chickie who thought her job was to just look cute. As she was walking away after not doing a thing to correct the situation, I said the coupons needed to be moved to the right product and she rolled her eyes as she prepared to walk her cute little self over to the coupons. I said, politely but firmly, "don't roll your eyes at me, you should have thought of this yourself." I'm sure she was thinking something along the lines that I was an old b(at)......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement