Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:01 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times

Advertisements

Dothetwist - thank you. That does refresh my memory. We were interested in restricted zone areas and kept it moving when we came across the land restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:24 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
We have friends that retired early and moved to Costa Rica. We have to get down there and visit them. It's not for us. I can't live without snow. I might think about buying a condo down there and use it as a vacation rental when we're not there. Well that is if I can get out of this girls just want to have fun now and lazy streak.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:59 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The topic of this thread is Americans living abroad in a foreign country.

If relations deteriorate between the US and that particular foreign country impacts the American ex-pats living abroad that is, in my view, a perfectly appropriate issue to be discussed.

Sometimes we can't escape politics, like it or not.
I think the example of Ecuador negates your thesis.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Personally, I don't need palm trees in my life. I've had them for the last 50 years or more.
I understand and I agree with you. My hometown is Hollywood, Florida, a suburb of Fort Lauderdale. Many people don't know this but Hollywood has one of the finest beaches in all South Florida, planted with clusters of tall coconut palms, a huge variety restaurants, cafes, and pubs along the "broad walk" and faucet and showerheads everywhere to rinse off beach sand.

I find mountain scenery and four seasons (albeit rather short mild winters!) more appealing.

The American ex-pat who chooses to live in another country and culture (and I don't mean nearby English speaking Canada or Bermuda or the Bahamas) is looking for a challenge, to step outside their comfort zone, a new adventure in life, a desire to explore something different!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I think the example of Ecuador negates your thesis.
Perhaps your example of Ecuador is an exception.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We can actually afford to live pretty much anywhere (we know we are very lucky).

But what bugs us in the US is the cost to carry a nice home. Yes, we can afford to pay those taxes, insurance, flood insurance, etc. but it's money out the window.

Our new home in MX is 1 block from MX's largest lake with view; 3800 sq. ft. on a 10K sq. ft. lot. Has a big inground pool, soaring stone interior walls (some are over 16 feet). A separate 1BR 1BA casita.

In FL we have a much smaller home, no pool at 1800 sq. ft. on 10K lot in a beach town, one block from bay, but no view.

Here's what our annual expenses will be house to house:
Taxes: $3200 in FL; $300 in MX
Homeowners ins.: $3500 in FL; $200 in MX
Flood Ins.: 780 in FL; not needed MX (Note: Flood insurance is skyrocketing, going to market rates and we guess ours will be over 2K in another few years).

After 10 years, we will have paid $75,000 to carry the FL home (and that doesn't include increases); in MX, the cost will be $5,000. If we were to upgrade our FL home to something more similar in size, with pool, etc., our overhead could easily double. We wouldn't consider living in FL without being within a block of the water/beach, so that's where we get hit with higher insurance, flood insurance and higher taxes.

We will keep the FL house for a few more years because my DH wants to have a residence in the US for a while longer. If it was solely up to me I'd go all-in with Mexico now.

I should also say that we LOVE the Mexican culture and the weather, it just suits both of us.
Here is what I say to everyone who wants to live as an expat. Imagine one or more of the following:
- Getting sued
- Getting in a car accident with an important official / someone much wealthier than you
- Seeking redress as a consumer
- You reach a point where some sort of DPoA might apply
- You want to pass along property or assets domiciled in your adopted country to someone not living there
- and the list goes on .....

The answers are not bad everywhere. But in many places American expats choose due to being cheap ... well .. you get what you pay for.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Perhaps your example of Ecuador is an exception.
Perhaps.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
The American ex-pat who chooses to live in another country and culture (and I don't mean nearby English speaking Canada or Bermuda or the Bahamas) is looking for a challenge, to step outside their comfort zone, a new adventure in life, a desire to explore something different!
I have to agree with you here.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:07 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I can't believe the amount of incorrect info on this thread.

We have owned outright our properties in Central MX.

There are coastal and border rules on outright ownership, property within 50 km of coast or 100 km of border.

On those coastal or border properties you get what is called a Fideicomiso.

You certainly earn equity and can buy and sell whenever you want. Friends of ours turned a tidy profit after a few years of ownership of a home under a Bank Trust (Fidelcomiso) in Mazatlan. Another friend did well on a house in Merida, also within the coastal zone under a Bank Trust. After selling these 'starter' homes they bought larger nicer homes in MX.

You can certainly leave the property to your heirs, etc.

Read about buying within coastal and border areas here:
Foreign Ownership of Property in Mexico
Well thank you for clearing that up.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
research, no (who funds this? not the Thai government or Academia (Their excellent DR's are trained in the West or (Australia)

care (?)... when is the last time you had care(?) in a USA hospital?
Asia care borders on pampering!

For many of us w/o HC, the USA is no longer an option (pre -age 65), soon to increase, and will long before we get there.

My care in Thailand has been exceptional, but I was not a 'research patient'

One thing amazing is the SPEED of getting in, doing paperwork, seeing staff, getting the results, paying... Ironically that can all be done in under an hour. Once you are in their system, much faster.

Think of a stranger w/o insurance showing up at a USA hospital and getting registered, examined, treated, and pay in less than an hour. (One Thailand hospital trip for a physical for work visa was under 30 minutes. new patient registration, cards, exam, post exam followup, paying). poof... a done deal!
I agree that Thai hospitals / medical care is great for a good price.

The lone concern would be, what if something goes wrong? Who pays? And if it comes to a lawsuit ... ugh ... I would not relish dealing with something like that in Thailand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement