Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:09 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Are you currently on Medicare? If so, your first Social Security payment after signing up for Medicare should have included deductions for two months' worth of Medicare premiums.

Sometimes Medicare will bill you for three months' worth of premiums at a time. That's what happened to me. I signed up for Social security and for Medicare B at the same time. Medicare billed me while Social Security deducted the premiums from my SS payments. I worried about not being covered by Medicare if I didnt pay the bill so I went ahead and paid it, knowing that, eventually, I'd be reimbursed for those premiums. And I was -- it took only a few months for them to get straightened out.
When I enrolled in Medicare I was already receiving Social Security. The Medicare Part B premium was greater than the Social Security payment, so they suspended the SS and charged me quarterly for the balance due on the Medicare. After a few years my SS had grown enough through working a little bit each year that it is now greater than the Part B premium.

They did everything correctly, but I had a hard time figuring out what was going to happen. I should have just sat back and relaxed and let them do their thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 08:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
This is scary. My check is all I have to pay bills and buy food. Is this the immediate as you get to be 65 deductions?

I was on SSI for disability before.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:20 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This is scary. My check is all I have to pay bills and buy food. Is this the immediate as you get to be 65 deductions?...

You dont have to sign up for Medicare Part B (medical providers)). You can elect to have only Medicare Part A (hospitalization), which doesnt cost anything. Of course, no one in his right mind would suggest that you not have Medicare Part B -- but you may be able to find an Advantage Plan that doesnt force you to pay for Medicare Part B and that costs less than the Medicare Part B premium.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:38 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
This is scary. My check is all I have to pay bills and buy food. Is this the immediate as you get to be 65 deductions?

I was on SSI for disability before.
What kind of health insurance do you have now? How long have you been on SSDI? After two years, SSDI recipients are Medicare eligible and if you don't qualify for Medicaid, the Part B premium should be deducted from your SSDI check. If you are eligible for Medicaid (dual eligible), Medicaid pays the Part B premium. Generally, recipients of SSDI under age 65 and on Medicare are enrolled in an Advantage plan. Part B is prerequisite for Advantage enrollment. So, if this is you, you are already paying for Part B.

You remain on SSDI until your FRA, at which time you transition to SS benefits. Your Medicare/Medicaid status does not change.

If you are on SSDI but not Medicare as yet, you should consult with the SHIP people in your state.

Find your State’s State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)

Medicare has a QMB Program.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...-programs.html

https://q1medicare.com/q1group/Medic...d=9&faq_id=197

which in some states will pay your Part B premium.

As I recall, unless I'm confusing you with someone else, you own a home. In states which have not expanded Medicaid, home ownership might preclude enrollment in a program which pays the Part B premium, but states vary widely on this issue.

Nonetheless, I strongly recommend you talk to your SHIP people. Also, as I recall, you plan to move. So, depending on your timeframes, you may need to consult SHIP in both states.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-01-2017 at 09:49 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
You dont have to sign up for Medicare Part B (medical providers)). You can elect to have only Medicare Part A (hospitalization), which doesnt cost anything. Of course, no one in his right mind would suggest that you not have Medicare Part B -- but you may be able to find an Advantage Plan that doesnt force you to pay for Medicare Part B and that costs less than the Medicare Part B premium.
What is the state determined amount they say will be deducted, A or B?

The state I live in does not base state aide on the current revised amounts. When my check went from Disability to Social security, it didn't go up much. But enough I got no food stamps and lost state medicade. There is no backup in this state.

I can't afford more money to vanish. Simple math. I'll look into the Advantage plans. But i'd go without over having to stretch too little money. I feel secure in my home now, but I've been homeless, and had to weigh food or other things, and will not go back to that place.

The aca plan I have now costs 20 a month. That would be reasonable.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:19 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
What is the state determined amount they say will be deducted, A or B?
Costs for Parts A and B are determined by Medicare, not the state. Current Part B premium is $134. Part A (hospital) is free.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medica...t-b-costs.html

Enrollment in Part A is automatic/mandatory when one receives SS benefits. Part B you need to sign up for within four months of when you are first Medicare eligible. If you don't sign up then, you are subject to a late-enrollment penalty - and can only sign up between Jan-Mar of each year, with coverage effective July 1 of that year.

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...s-a-and-b.html

If you haven't already and are still within the initial enrollment period, you may want to consider enrolling in Part B to avoid the penalty and search for an Advantage plan. You can later disenroll from Part B if you find it unaffordable. As TFW says, there are a very few Advantage plans which will pay the Part B premium. Most do not.

Quote:
The aca plan I have now costs 20 a month. That would be reasonable.
ACA will not pay the majority of your costs once you are Medicare-eligible. Therefore, any costs normally paid by Medicare Part B, you will need to pay. ACA insurance, generally, is of little value once you are on Medicare. It may pay the 20% not paid by Medicare, but I'm not sure about that.

Furthermore, you will be losing your subsidy effective on your Medicare-eligible date.

Since Medicare is subsidized, once you are Medicare-eligible - which you are b/c you are receiving SS benefits - those with ACA policies immediately lose their subsidies. You will be asked to pay back the IRS for any subsidies after you became Medicare eligible.

You better disenroll from that heavily subsidized ACA policy - ASAP.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-01-2017 at 11:51 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Costs for Parts A and B are determined by Medicare, not the state. Current Part B premium is $134. Part A (hospital) is free.

Enrollment in Part A is automatic/mandatory when one receives SS benefits. Part B you need to sign up for within four months of when you are first Medicare eligible. If you don't sign up then, you are subject to a late-enrollment penalty - and can only sign up between Jan-Mar of each year, with coverage effective July 1 of that year.

If you haven't already and are still within the initial enrollment period, you may want to consider enrolling in Part B to avoid the penalty and search for an Advantage plan. You can later disenroll from Part B if you find it unaffordable. As TFW says, there are a very few Advantage plans which will pay the Part B premium. Most do not.

ACA will not pay the majority of your costs once you are Medicare-eligible. Therefore, any costs normally paid by Medicare Part B, you will need to pay. ACA insurance, generally, is of little value once you are on Medicare. It may pay the 20% not paid by Medicare, but I'm not sure about that.

Furthermore, you will be losing your subsidy effective on your Medicare-eligible date.

Since Medicare is subsidized, once you are Medicare-eligible - which you are b/c you are receiving SS benefits - those with ACA policies immediately lose their subsidies. You will be asked to pay back the IRS for any subsidies after you became Medicare eligible.

I'll be disinrolled from the ACA policy when medicare becomes official. It was set up that way. That is next month when I turn 65.

What worries me most is losing the income which I DO use to pay for things which have a medical/nutritional support reason. These ARE medical matters left over from a surgery which caused me not to be able to use them from food, things like b12, magnesium, iron, and a few more. I buy the good quality suppliments, take them religiously and feel much better. I used to take the b'12 shots but the pills give you a much more even keel. Thing is, I didn't get a list from the doctor but did my own research. This is a major monthly cost and would cut into things like food and insurence and normal daily house stuff you need. One is a paint on bandage glue which is absolutely necessary, and I use two bottles a month for twenty to thirty a bottle, just take the best current price on Amazon. While it is a medical adhesive, it wasn't considered 'needed' before since the stuff on the appliance had a sticky side. Just that they don't stick to me.

These are the things making it hard to sleep for the worry since without these things with medical uses I absolutely can't take care of the situation which makes me severely depressed. Imagine something which leaks out, but breaks down skin, and the stuff you need to prevent that said to be 'unnecessary'. And yes, the doctors I've told are sure about that. I get very depressed and tense when I'm close to out and I think ahead, like my security in life is balancing on a slender strand. I buy most of it off Amazon and can do a history of purchases and amounts.

I need the cost of these things allowed and left for me to take care of myself.

Last edited by nightbird47; 04-02-2017 at 03:09 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 01:15 PM

708 posts, read 721,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Just so I understand, so Part B $134 per month no matter your income? Thanks

Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
The cost of Part B is based on your income of two years previous. Mine should be $134. but because my husbands income 2 years ago was $170k my part B will be in excess of $250 per month unless and until I go in a appeal it since our income now and for the future is $39K per year.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Just so I understand, so Part B $134 per month no matter your income? Thanks
No, not quite.

See page 5 of https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10536.pdf for a chart of the income brackets with higher premiums, due to IRMAA rules.

And note carefully that the numbers in the 4 higher brackets are "plus" the $134 standard premium.

Highest is $134 + $294.60 = $428.60

BTW, Part D Rx plans have similar increases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement