Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I wonder if a good attitude can cure cancer or atherosclerosis or a torn meniscus or diverticulitis or Alzheimer's. The burden of proof rests with those who make such claims.
this, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 11:17 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,283 times
Old is the first time some little kid calls you "Mister".

Old 04-03-2017, 11:34 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Yes, I definitely agree with what was said in the OP.

I did not start feeling old until I was 61 (I'm now 63), and it seems that I am now "allowing" myself to be old. I no longer care much about fashions and looking "attractive", or as much about current events as I used to,or about trying new things. The weird thing is that I know that it is a "slippery slope", but where does one draw the line between accepting getting older and giving in to it to one's detriment?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:43 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My mother-in-law is 85 years old. She said she considered herself middle aged a couple of years ago! Who was I to correct her??

I roughly consider 50-64 young old, 65-79 old, and 80+ very old.
Here is my "scale":

0-19: Very Young
20-39: Young
40-59: Middle-Aged
60-79: Old (although I prefer "senior")
80-99: Very Old (or "elderly")
100+: Ancient

Old 04-03-2017, 12:09 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
We can keep active and in shape and try to stay in tuned to new things. It's the best we can do. But to younger generations we still seem old because we are part of Our generation, not Their's. So I prefer to think of it as "aging well" rather than staying young.
Heck yeah - I sometimes go on trips with our senior center. At 56, I'm the youngest one and there are time I wonder - "what the heck am I doing with these people"!

But there are times I've thought the same thing about people my age.

I remember when I was in my mid 30s I attended a 4 week military class. I was shocked to see how wild my "classmates" started acting after hours. I guess they weren't used to being away from home from their spouses and kids. Talk about girls gone wild. There were much younger troops staying in the billeting area and they were not appreciative of the "old" ladies letting it all hang out!

Old 04-03-2017, 12:33 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I wonder if a good attitude can cure cancer or atherosclerosis or a torn meniscus or diverticulitis or Alzheimer's. The burden of proof rests with those who make such claims.

YES. This is what I wanted to say, but you said it better. I went from feeling "young" to feeling very old within a year or two when joint problems set in. Attitude can't cure that....

Old 04-03-2017, 12:38 PM

83 posts, read 86,820 times
I believe people become old when they reach 40. This is when they start developing chronic health problems. Also if they are single, it is unlikely that they will ever get married, or that another person will be attracted to them.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:46 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek2017 View Post
I believe people become old when they reach 40. This is when they start developing chronic health problems. Also if they are single, it is unlikely that they will ever get married, or that another person will be attracted to them.
Oh man, how wrong you are. I was between marriages and having to fight the ladies off when I was 40. I had considerably more success than when I was 20. I was 47 when I married for the second time.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:46 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Being a car nut, I would say that when you actually prefer a soft-riding car with automatic, to something with tight handling with a stick, then, *then* you are old.

So, by my calculus, ER, you and I at least are safe from being "old" for a while yet.

But jrkliny makes a good point too. Sometimes a health issue, more or less age related, drags you into the "old" column regardless of what you do. This sort of thing is more common with age, but, cancer for example strikes even very young people.

So to stay "young" in older ages, you have to have the luck to dodge jrkliny's "bullet", but, given that, you have to stay active, do things to maintain your health, not let your appearance go to pot, etc.

Although I am only 59, some "old" things in my life:

Both parents deceased.
A cousin a few months younger than me deceased, failing health not an accident
Several "kids" I grew up with deceased, failing health, not accidents (but some helped the process along with "recreational pharmaceuticals")
Paid-off house
Able to retire, financially
Many senior discounts (a good thing)
White hair, but while it turned white, at least it didn't turn loose!

Old 04-03-2017, 12:49 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Oh man, how wrong you are. I was between marriages and having to fight the ladies off when I was 40. I had considerably more success than when I was 20. I was 47 when I married for the second time.
My brother just split with his woman and he is 54 - fighting them off left and right!

I'm 56 and just got hit on at the post office - it was weird but funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement