U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:44 AM

156 posts, read 352,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
In a little over a year of retirement I have only gained 3 lbs, and I was a good weight to begin with (6'1" and 180 lbs).]

Overall, it has been working very well, we are holding up well physically.
That's such a good weight for that height...I've gotten to there but it's hard to stay there as you get older lol...So nice to hear you are doing well in retirement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It goes to proove that once you keep your mind and body active, you have a totally different outlook.
d
So true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
When I was younger I had no problems with this and I was not overweight. Something just happens when you get older.
Wow isn't that the truth...I know just what you are saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
When I was younger I had no problems with this and I was not overweight. Something just happens when you get older.
Ain't that the truth. You wouldn't think we would get more efficient as we get older! I was the same way when younger - effortlessly skinny - but now I conserve calories like crazy. I do an organic version of low-carb and that helps a lot. But it is a struggle.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:08 AM

21 posts, read 63,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
. I dance in my kitchen, too.
I dance in my kitchen too! Weird, I thought I was the only one. My family thinks I'm nuts. I think its the nice slick floors...good sliding around. I also do a little singing at the same time. Family thinks I'm double nuts.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemar View Post
I dance in my kitchen too! Weird, I thought I was the only one. My family thinks I'm nuts. I think its the nice slick floors...good sliding around. I also do a little singing at the same time. Family thinks I'm double nuts.
I sometimes put on the Stones, or else listen to the oldies station. Also, Motown music is good. I live alone, so only the cats get scared. I used to dance for hours when I was in college, all over the dance floor - I just loved it. Can't do it for very long now.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
I just got my medical check-up results back. Almost everything was right down the middle of the high and low normal listed. One thing was HIGH and I had never encountered the term before so I goggled the term and came up with what the problem was and how to fix it. Low fat, low carbs, no sugar, and lots of exercise. I would say for me that diet and exercise are very important.

I go to a water range of motion class for 45 minutes three times per week, religiously. I am going to be doing the exercise machines in the weight room in the future to help the problem mentioned above. I spend a lot of time in our yard. It looks better everyday. I jog in the water after the range of motion class.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
the greatest part of my retirement plan was diet and excercise. the job i was in a public service job
was so stressful the actuaries were betting i would be dead in 48 months. this was a blue light special
on a buy back if you are healthy, most are not.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Bunky39, It is my opinion that staying healthy is the most economical thing we can do for ourselves and our insurance companies or medicare. I just retired from a very stressful public service job also. I recently went to the funeral of a friend and after getting to relax for a year and take care of me for a change, one of the girls I used to work with asked me if I had had a face lift. LOL

Old 03-08-2008, 07:40 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,825,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Bunky39, It is my opinion that staying healthy is the most economical thing we can do for ourselves and our insurance companies or medicare. I just retired from a very stressful public service job also. I recently went to the funeral of a friend and after getting to relax for a year and take care of me for a change, one of the girls I used to work with asked me if I had had a face lift. LOL
What a great post--worth printing out and putting on my refrigerator. Thank you, and even though you already earned a star and I guess the rep points dont matter any more--here's a rep point for you.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,213,375 times
Outstanding thread. Today (not retired, 44 yrs old) I run about 2 miles every day, do a few situps, pushups - plan to actually increase this amount because I won't have the time constraints of work. Likewise, my diet is poor due to work.

With an early retirement approaching (@ 46 yrs), I expect to increase fitness activities - and closely watch my diet and try to get to my optimum weight (10-15 lbs below my current weight).

I'm concerned that as I age, my body won't keep up with my expected activities (golf, tennis, running, swimming) - but I'll see how that goes.

I think fitness is great for mental and physical well-being, gives one a purpose/hobby during retirement and prevents a sedentary lifestyle. I'm looking forward to it after leaving work in about 18 mo.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:07 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,514,371 times
Wow! Lucky you to be retired at 46 !
Yes, I do try to keep my weight below 125 and I walk about a mile a day. I recently have added fish oil capsules and high potency Vitamin D to my arsenal. I am retiring in June and I want them to pay for a loooong time.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or