U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:18 AM

156 posts, read 352,048 times

Advertisements

In todays world it seems like the only consistent piece of medical advice that hasn't really changed is that exercise and diet can significantly affect your overall health and ultimately your quality and length of life. From a personal standpoint I can say when my weight gets too high, I start to feel worse. Assuming that it's probably one of the most important things you can do for yourself especially during retirement or approaching retirement, what do you do now or plan to do after retirement to get exercise? Do you watch your diet? Have you changed your diet as you've gotten older? Do you think it's useless anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 06:52 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,051,697 times
I think it is very important. I try to incorporate it into my everyday activities. I take the stairs instead of the elevator, I do squats and leg lifts while brushing my teeth, I stretch regularly thruout the day. Stuff like that. Then there is gardening and other active hobbies.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,863,395 times
Like a well-running car...I figure my body needs good-fuel and regular use...if you fill a car with bad fuel and then let it sit in the garage for a long time without running it, you can't expect its engine to start right up and run smoothly.

For fuel, I try to eat wisely (lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, little junk food, no soda, modest alcohol, limited sugary desserts).

For exercise, I try to get a reasonable amount--and dog-walking, mowing the lawn with a push mower, raking, and planting and tending a vegetable/flower garden all apply toward the exercise allotment. In the winter, I do go to the gym to keep my body's joints lubricated and running smoothly. Helps prevents those creaky universal joints...

A handful of minerals and vitamins help upgrade my fuel from regular to high-test...

Guess I view myself as high-mileage, but a well-preserved and lovingly tended collectible classic...

Figure I'd rather wear out than rust out...

Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Like a well-running car...I figure my body needs good-fuel and regular use...if you fill a car with bad fuel and then let it sit in the garage for a long time without running it, you can't expect its engine to start right up and run smoothly.

For fuel, I try to eat wisely (lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, little junk food, no soda, modest alcohol, limited sugary desserts).

For exercise, I try to get a reasonable amount--and dog-walking, mowing the lawn with a push mower, raking, and planting and tending a vegetable/flower garden all apply toward the exercise allotment. In the winter, I do go to the gym to keep my body's joints lubricated and running smoothly. Helps prevents those creaky universal joints...

A handful of minerals and vitamins help upgrade my fuel from regular to high-test...

Guess I view myself as high-mileage, but a well-preserved and lovingly tended collectible classic...

Figure I'd rather wear out than rust out...
Neat analogy....great ideas too...and sort of ironic that some people treat their cars better than their bodies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I think it is very important. I try to incorporate it into my everyday activities. I take the stairs instead of the elevator, I do squats and leg lifts while brushing my teeth, I stretch regularly thruout the day. Stuff like that. Then there is gardening and other active hobbies.
Wow neat ideas....and I park far away from the stores and walk too.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:47 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,591 times
I've been in a weight management program for the last few years - altogether now, I've lost 20 pounds - another 10 or so to go, which I did lose once before! So, the hard part is maintenance, so I'm going to keep going to the program until I die.

The main reason I do it is because I feel better, and get around better. I'm considered "overweight" unless I get back down to my college weight of 125, but that is not gonna happen! I'm trying to stay at 145.

I hate exercise, so that doesn't help. I used to do all sorts of things, but not anymore. At my job, I walk quite a bit, and I do little things like park far from the store and stuff like that. I dance in my kitchen, too. So, at least that's something.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I dance in my kitchen, too. So, at least that's something.
LOL cousin....Now that's a new one...I might try that one but I'm afraid I might catch on fire and really dance lol...

Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryS View Post
LOL cousin....Now that's a new one...I might try that one but I'm afraid I might catch on fire and really dance lol...
And, remember, stop when you start huffin' and puffin'!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:18 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,254,777 times
Oh its so important. My mum is 84 and still plays bridge three times a week, still takes daily walks, only eats small meals, still drives a little has no health issues and is very social and lives alone.

My mil who is 78, dosnt walk anywhere, dosnt do anything at all socially, cannot drive, is afraid of her own shadow and therefore restricts herself a lot.

so who do I want to be when I get older. It goes to proove that once you keep your mind and body active, you have a totally different outlook.
d

Old 03-06-2008, 02:35 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,809,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryS View Post
In todays world it seems like the only consistent piece of medical advice that hasn't really changed is that exercise and diet can significantly affect your overall health and ultimately your quality and length of life. From a personal standpoint I can say when my weight gets too high, I start to feel worse. Assuming that it's probably one of the most important things you can do for yourself especially during retirement or approaching retirement, what do you do now or plan to do after retirement to get exercise? Do you watch your diet? Have you changed your diet as you've gotten older? Do you think it's useless anyway?
In a little over a year of retirement I have only gained 3 lbs, and I was a good weight to begin with (6'1" and 180 lbs). I somewhat watch what I eat, but I have no problem with splurging, my wife and I like Dairy Queen Blizzards once in awhile. I'm certainly not a "great" eater, growing up in Philly I have a tendency towards Cheesesteaks and Pizza, but just once in awhile.

Basically, I would say I eat what I've eaten all along, but the portions are somewhat smaller. I would anticipate having to cut back a little more as I age, but so far I'm OK with what I'm doin'.

Regarding exercise, I have been a constant exercise guy for over 30 years. I weight lift three times a week, row twice a week, exercise bike twice a week, and my wife and I take long walks (over 2 miles) a few times a week. I've slowed down a bit on the exercise bike, I only go at about 85% of the speed I went 30 years ago, but I'm still fine. Weight lifting has been a big benefit, between the eight different lifts that I do, three sets each, I hoist over 30,000 lbs per session. I use a stopwatch to time the periods between lifts, so I get some minor cardio while weightlifting too.

Since I retired my wife participates a little too, stationary bike, weights and walking. She hasn't felt better in decades.

Overall, it has been working very well, we are holding up well physically.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,249,162 times
Yes that's the advice I get too-Diet and exercise. that's what I keep on doing. I lost about 30 pounds a couple of years ago. Now my weight just stays about the same. I exercise. I do sit ups,yoga,and a couple of push ups. When the weather is alright I do lots of gardening and walking.
I must always watch my diet in order not to gain weight. it's a constant struggle. When I was younger I had no problems with this and I was not overweight. Something just happens when you get older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or