Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:14 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times

Advertisements

I'm working on transitional activities as I approach retirement. I purchased a smaller house in a more diverse and urban setting with established flower gardens, a koi pond and a yard that is a favorite stop for many different types of birds. I have now immersed myself in how to care for them and help them thrive. The area is more walkable and has excellent access to public transportation so I am also working on significantly reducing my car use and utilizing walking and public transportation whenever possible. I also plan to take some cooking classes to learn more about how to prepare more healthy vegetarian dishes. The library is a couple of blocks away so I am excited to be able to attend book talks and community presentations and to meet new people in the community. Fortunately our new community also has several clubs and organizations including an outstanding garden club that I plan to join. I am looking forward to retirement to explore new interests as well as ramping up my part-time business to continue contact with many different interesting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 12:07 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Sheesh I love that post Lincolnian, sounds like you've got some great angles lined up.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
I'm a bit amused by the thought of retirement as a time of hurrying and scurrying as though we are still on that old treadmill of work. After ten years of retirement I can honestly state that I have never been the least bit tempted to get a part time job, or, any other obligatory commitment that takes away my personal time.

This was supposed to be that time wherein we will return to the days of a youthful summer vacation, just doing whatever we want, no restraints on our time, sleep late, eat when we get hungry, read those books we didn't really have time for, and a pile of other pursuits which bring a feeling of reward for the decades of toil we lived through. Busy, or slacking, it's just nice to have the choice for a change.

I finally have enough time most days to really get into playing guitar, or photographing days on end while traveling to places I would never had the time to go to. My Wife does her mosaic art and still keeps up with clothing fashion interests that was her career for many years, we both love having our lazy mornings of coffee and talking about the days ahead and what we want to do and see. I worked for the entirety of my adult life, no breaks, little time for kids, wife, house, friends, so---this is it, we can't go back, so we plan for a future without work. Work was necessary, and, in order to have some balance, this time of no work seems just as necessary.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
great post, jertheber!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:26 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,678 times
The concept of "Retirement" is different for everyone. For me, I'm glad I have chosen a blended retirement that involves part time consulting, part time teaching, and part time "Me time". The ratio of all three is about equal, and is a perfect fit for me as it provides the diversity of activity I need to fill my day. Coming from a workaholic background, it did need some "retraining" but when it does work out for someone who wants a blended retirement....it's a winner!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,070 times
I have avoided commenting on this thread because the whole idea of the thread is opposite of my ideas. I have no interest in keeping busy. If I was just interested in finding ways to keep busy, I might as well sit and do nothing.

As I have stated numerous times, the whole idea of retirement for me is to be able to do new things, set new goals, make new accomplishments and in general pursue my passions. Doing so means I am endlessly busy, but just being busy and finding things to occupy my time are not goals of mine.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
I'm trying to get over getting upset about what some of my family members do to occupy their time.

It should not bother me, but it does. I just don't see how making daily trips to Wal-Mart or the dollar store can be exciting.

I invited them to an event in the city this weekend - kind of historical in nature - and just got blank stares and no response.

So I am sitting here just wondering what the heck is wrong with them and why don't they want to expand their minds. After all - I went to Walmart with them yesterday.LOL

Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
My attitude is I don't care what other people do in retirement. I only care what my husband and I do. For me learning to do new things. For my husband he likes to watch the birds with his binoculars.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
I love not being busy at the beach, on the deck, in the yard, visiting the kids and just sitting and watching and sitting and watching and when at the beach or on the porch watching and listening to birds and watching life play out. We had a great time watching paint dry the other day. We had a long wall painted at the beach and we anxiously watched it go from White to a earth tone that highlighted everything else and made everything look so much nicer. I enjoy now when not at the beach watching the flower bloom and the Bermuda green up. Really excited in that the guy who mows checked and said he would get started this week. We have a beautiful lawn when greened up and can't wait. Can't wait to get back so we can watch the birds and squirrels eat from the feeders. Especially the Yellow Finches (we have a ton of this year) and the Woodpecker right alongside the deck eating shelled nuts. New on the anticipation list is getting the Humming Bird feeders started up when we get back. They are so entertaining to watch and if out on the deck to hear. They will once comfortable feed with us only a few feet away. So much to do this time of the year and so little time. Right now the next life highlight is our evening walk along the beach etc etc. Cool and soon all the stores will be open everyday and not just weekends.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My attitude is I don't care what other people do in retirement. I only care what my husband and I do. For me learning to do new things. For my husband he likes to watch the birds with his binoculars.
Hmmm I am getting the impression that for many retirement is for the birds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement