Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:29 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,096 times

Advertisements

Yes, most certainly. I have coronary artery disease and so in addition to moving to a high altitude location (7,000'), I also work out regularly (mostly cardio, some weight machines), and eat sensibly. I avoid nothing, no matter how bad it is for you. I only eat tiny amounts of the really bad things and only occasionally. Just had a lipid profile done in prep for my annual physical and the results are excellent. The cardiologist's office measured my blood oxygen at 97% so it appears that the high altitude living has worked great for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 05:01 PM

8,215 posts, read 3,412,214 times
I was walking at least 5 miles every day when I was working full time. I had to get up earlier, and had to use my lunch break for walking. It was not easy finding the time.

It really is too bad Americans have to work such long hours and get so little vacation time. You have to be really dedicated to get enough exercise, and most people don't want to give up watching TV.

Now I am semi-retired and it is much easier to find time for exercise, without have to give up sleep. And I hope I will finally get to the beach this summer -- I was too busy working and haven't been there in years.

Working is very detrimental to your health.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,923,539 times
I'm 65 and not retiring - ever - but I've been taking better care of myself lately. Down 20 pounds in 9 weeks on Nutrisystem, walking every day, working out on my Total Gym at home. Just signed up for Medicare supplement and apparently they provide a free gym membership. Cool!

Old 04-19-2017, 05:40 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,745,338 times
Definitely thinner and healthier for both my husband and I. We sleep better too.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,750,094 times
I have the grandkids with me 3-4 days a week and I set an example by being outside bike riding, throwing a ball around, going to the playground or the beach. Anything other than sitting and TV. We do watch TV on some days and play board games. I take into account how tired they are and try not to have them crash and burn after they go home. Quiet time has its place some days.

The days the grandkids aren't here I walk the dog more. DH and I started the nine minute HITT routine that uses body weight and no equipment and it's kicking our butts. It increases from nine minutes, but right now we are happy to just make the nine minutes.

When I worked, I ran out of time and exercise was last on the to do list. Now I stay on the move and DH does a morning yoga practice when he's working and walks the airports on layovers. Evening meals and breakfast are easier for him to make good choices, but quality lunch meals when he's in a hurry can still be a problem.

He really needs to quit bringing home the freebie Toblerone bars, granola bars and salted nut packs the hotels provide. He likes to share with me.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 AM

491 posts, read 473,058 times
Working more is what keeps you in shape. You should be careful, because some people thrive on work and are better off working and having structure. Some people find it harder to get the self-motivation to stuff without a work environment.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:46 AM

221 posts, read 192,573 times
While in HS began running indoor laps in a gym for the reward of a 100 mile club T-Shirt. Although at age 63 the pace has slowed remarkably these steps continue to be taken, every other day (flight deck material of the aircraft carrier sure ate up
shoes rather quickly). The saying I was told remains: it is easier to remain in shape than to get in shape.
On non-jogging days a road bike is used and I can still average 19 mph for a 25 mile time trial. Exercise began at 139 and now weight 161. For a 6' male I'm active and try to thwart achy bones. Am loosing this age race!

Old 04-27-2017, 02:50 AM

18,702 posts, read 33,355,095 times
I plan to in my new retirement life and location. Sure couldn't do less than I've been doing on these blasted night shifts.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,523,689 times
I'm exercising more and am in worse shape. It is so discouraging that with aging, even if you frequently change your exercise routine, eat the right foods and get enough sleep, you still lose muscle and have more soft tissue, (tendinitis, etc., ) strains. I know it's part of aging but I don't have to be happy about it. I want to have the strength I had a decade ago but no matter what I do or my trainer suggests, it ain't coming back

Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,343,859 times
If you do a search, above, there are other threads about this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement