Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times

Advertisements

We're retired and my SO and I are seriously considering moving to another city in a state we've never lived in. Unfortunately we've been considering the move for several years, thoroughly researching many cities and states even visiting several - and it's finally dawning on us we may be overthinking this. No place affordable is perfect, and there will be risks no matter what (moving is expensive and costly for starters). But we both moved many times as kids (military brats) and adults (job related) and seemed to adapt to every city, state or country we landed in. Sure we liked some more than others, but we didn't hate any location.

We do know we need to live in or near a large metro area for a variety of reasons.

Maybe as inspiration for us, did some of you throw caution to the wind (relative to us at least) and successfully relocate to another state you'd never lived in before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I did that and it didn't work out. When my job fell apart in another state, I bought a beachfront condo in Corpus Christi, TX. Thinking "location, location", I mean beachfront?? I had asked others about taxes, but everyone I asked was way old so got a tax break, never thinking to mention that to me. Of course, my own fault for not checking myself. I only heard "the good stuff" about TX.

I admit, it was impulsive. I rented for 3 months and enjoyed it so thought it would work out. Jobs were hard to get, especially at 60. So in the end, lost a lot of money.

OTOH, we retired to Ecuador so that was a leap. So far, it seems to be working out despite the language barrier. Working on that....

I guess you can never know all the facts in advance. All the research won't totally prepare for actually living there. Then, things can change.

Good luck in your move! It's an adventure, if nothing else. Especially at our age.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:22 AM

813 posts, read 1,132,948 times
I moved to South America (never having travelled there) 15 years ago on a whim and never regretted it. Initially planned on looking at Colombia and Costa Rica, but after three weeks in Lima I was sold. Went back to New York City a few times the first year to sell my apartment and have never been back. Other then Pizza and Pastrami, I really don't miss it even though I lived there for 50 years.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:30 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Maybe as inspiration for us, did some of you throw caution to the wind (relative to us at least) and successfully relocate to another state you'd never lived in before?
Yes. Left friends and familiarity behind and moved 2000 miles and across an ocean. It is a commitment although it is reversible. One thing we struggle with is that it has taken us a while to have friends we can draw upon for help. Moving heavy things for instance can take us a long time to get done because we have few nearby friends that could come over and lend a hand. We are slow to make friends I guess, but the other part of it is that many of our friends are our age or older (70+) and have bad backs are limited any way.

At any rate we have no regrets about moving. It was the right thing to do for us.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:46 AM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times
Absolutely! Never gave this state a thought. We were so sure we were going to retire to FL. On our way down one day we decided to stop in another area others had been talking about. Did a little research online and made an appointment with a realtor. We felt it had everything we were seeking and prices were more moderate. So glad we took the chance.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
When I was 29 I drove my BIL's car from Chicago to California. Never went back (except to visit). I did have the advantage of being able to live with them for a year or so, before I struck out on my own.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:47 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Moving to Seattle area 14 years ago. Been back in TX two years.

Other posts detail my misery.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Given you have moved a lot, you are likely far more able to cope wth the normal challenges a move brings. I did a career in the military, and like you, we lived in a lot of places, and each one had benefits as well as drawbacks. You know what you are signing up for WRT the transition, move, and developing a new social network.

We researched north Idaho for a year or so (not "exactly" impulsive, but close) and ended up just across the border in MT. We moved about a year ago, and absolutely love the area. We were concerned about the "remoteness" and how easy it would be to fit in locally, but there are several retired military officers, a couple of retired engineers, a retired commercial pilot, retired educators, a retired federal judge, etc., so our one concern, fitting in socially, has been a complete non issue.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:31 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
If you would have moved three years ago you would be enjoying your new location and new friends. I'm a procrastinator and research/study every decision almost to death. I moved to my new state four years ago and it ended up being the one I wanted to live in when I was ten years old...first time I saw it. People said I was nuts to move as a single retiree but I love it. The only thing I miss is some of the food I grew up with.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I'm always impulsive but it has worked out for me and my husband. But I'm a risk taker. I say just do it. It will be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement